Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT: Ideas for a first course using Python (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t593328-ot-ideas-for-a-first-course-using-python.html)

ishwar.rattan@gmail.com 02-21-2008 10:48 PM

OT: Ideas for a first course using Python

Sorry to butt in but I am shopping for some ideas.

I am interested in putting together a programming course for non-
programmers (outside the computer science domain) based on Pyhton. I
envision the course
similar to ones that used old-Basic interpreter.

Any one out there has such a course (already designed) or has some
experience
of such a course?

What could be a list of topics to be addressed in such a course
(domain), other
than the language syntax?

-ishwar

André 02-22-2008 12:57 AM

Re: OT: Ideas for a first course using Python

On Feb 21, 6:48 pm, ishwar.rat...@gmail.com wrote:
> Sorry to butt in but I am shopping for some ideas.
>
> I am interested in putting together a programming course for non-
> programmers (outside the computer science domain) based on Pyhton. I
> envision the course
> similar to ones that used old-Basic interpreter.
>
> Any one out there has such a course (already designed) or has some
> experience
> of such a course?
>
> What could be a list of topics to be addressed in such a course
> (domain), other
> than the language syntax?
>
> -ishwar

You might want to ask on the edu-sig list.
Or, you could google for
python "non-programmers"
and find things like http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer's_Tutorial_for_Python

André

Mike Driscoll 02-22-2008 01:20 AM

On Feb 21, 4:48 pm, ishwar.rat...@gmail.com wrote:
> Sorry to butt in but I am shopping for some ideas.
>
> I am interested in putting together a programming course for non-
> programmers (outside the computer science domain) based on Pyhton. I
> envision the course
> similar to ones that used old-Basic interpreter.
>
> Any one out there has such a course (already designed) or has some
> experience
> of such a course?
>
> What could be a list of topics to be addressed in such a course
> (domain), other
> than the language syntax?
>
> -ishwar

This guy's been doing it for a while now as a college course:
http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python/python-first.html

Mike

mikhail.savitsky@gmail.com 02-22-2008 12:50 PM

On Feb 22, 2:20 am, Mike Driscoll <kyoso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 21, 4:48 pm, ishwar.rat...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > Sorry to butt in but I am shopping for some ideas.

> > I am interested in putting together a programming course for non-
> > programmers (outside the computer science domain) based on Pyhton. I
> > envision the course
> > similar to ones that used old-Basic interpreter.

> > Any one out there has such a course (already designed) or has some
> > experience
> > of such a course?

> > What could be a list of topics to be addressed in such a course
> > (domain), other
> > than the language syntax?

> > -ishwar

> This guy's been doing it for a while now as a college course:http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python/python-first.html
>
> Mike

You might want to take a look at

http://swc.scipy.org/lec/unified.html

It is superb and fits nicely your description.

HTH

Mikhail