Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-Violet LaserDiode and Blu-ray (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t592841-sony-and-nichia-share-over-800-basic-patents-for-blue-violet-laserdiode-and-blu-ray.html)

Blig Merk 02-20-2008 02:29 AM

Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-Violet LaserDiode and Blu-ray

This post is to school you psycho-schizo xflop fanbitch idiot zombies.
On one hand, you whine "DUH GHEYMZ, DUH GHEYMZ!!!" when Blu-ray is the
subject, then on the other hand you counter with some limp wrist "DUH
HD-DUD IZ DUH DATAZ ANDZ DUH SONYZ DUZN'T PWNZ DUH BLUR-RAYZ!!!". It
has always struck me how incredibly dense, stupid and ignorant the
xflop fanbitches can be.

Look, I am putting this on a separate line so even you illiterate
retards can get it: BLU-RAY IS *NOT* JUST A MOVIE FORMAT. IT IS A
GENERAL INEXPENSIVE PORTABLE HIGH DENSITY DATA FORMAT, MEANING GAMES,
MOVIES AND DATA.

Blu-ray drives are going to follow the same path as DVD. Here is the
progression, dumbed down so even you idiots should be able to
understand it. First, just like DVD, there will be fairly expensive BD-
ROM drives included with higher end PC's. Then, the BD-ROM drives will
drop rapidly in price. After that, higher end PC's will have fairly
expensive BD+R/RE drives included. From there, the price of BD+R/RE
drives will drop rapidly until, after awhile, inexpensive BD+R/RE will
be standard drives for almost every PC. This is the exact same
progression that happened for DVD and took about 5 years. About 3
years in, PC games started showing up on DVD until now, they are all
on DVD. The same is going to happen with Blu-ray. So, it is about DUH
GHEYMZ, you idiots.

And guess who owns the Blue-Violet Laser Diode and the Blu-ray
technology? Sure, Samsung and Sharp are now manufacturing Blue-Violet
Laser Diodes -- but only after licensing the technology from Sony and
Nichia. Some people remember when only Sony and Nichia manufactured
blue-violet laser diodes and it wasn't that long ago. Blu-ray becoming
the standard read/write portable high data density medium and drive
for PC's means tons of cash coming for Sony and Nichia. xflop
fanbitches am cry.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...0404/04-0422E/

April 22, 2004

Cross License Agreement of Blue-Violet Laser Diode
related Patents for Optical Disc

Nichia Corporation (hereafter "Nichia") and Sony Corporation
(hereafter "Sony") have come to an agreement on the cross license of
Blue-Violet Laser Diode (hereafter Blue-Violet LD) related patents for
optical disc use.

In December 2002, Nichia and Sony have agreed to collaborate on the
development of Blue-Violet LD as well as building-up an environment to
share the usage of the related technologies which the 2 companies
possess, to accelerate the growing demand of Blue-Violet LD. Nichia
and Sony have also worked in collaboration on the Blue-Violet LD
development for optical disc recording/play-back use.
The cross license agreement will further strengthen the
collaboration and will enable usage of all related patents on Blue-
Violet LD, with no time limit, in the field of the optical disc
recording/playback usage. Collectively, there are approximately 800
patent applications in total filed by both companies.

Blue-Violet LD is a 405nm wavelength semiconductor laser which will
be vital for Blu-ray disc system, enabling digital recording of high-
definition (HD) contents (movies) in consumer use and professional
disc system XDCAM. It is the key device in the HD era, in various
occasions where high quality images/movies are the key in HD contents
creation in Digital HD broadcasting and recording/play-back in
consumer use.

Through the cross-license, in addition to Nichia, which is most
advanced on a world-wide basis as the Blue-Violet LD supplier, Sony
will also mass-produce and be the supplier of Blue-Violet LD, leading
to building-up a stable environment of the supply of Blue-Violet LD
for optical disc use, required for Blu-ray disc system market which is
expected increase significantly.
The convergence of technologies of both companies lead to achieving
cost-down by improving production efficiency and further enhancing the
production design/manufacturing of higher-performance/high-level-
output Blue-Violet LD.
Results of the join developments so far have already been
implemented in mass production by both companies, and mass production
shipment by Nichia and partial shipment of evaluation samples to other
companies by Sony are under process.

Both companies have agreed to continue to collaborate in technology
development, leading to enhanced performance of Blue-Violet LD and
contribution in the development of Blu-ray disc and XDCAM market.

Fred C. Dobbs 02-20-2008 04:07 PM

Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-Violet Laser Diode and Blu-ray

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:29:19 -0800 (PST), Blig Merk
<blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote:

>This post is to school you psycho-schizo xflop fanbitch idiot zombies.
>On one hand, you whine "DUH GHEYMZ, DUH GHEYMZ!!!" when Blu-ray is the
>subject, then on the other hand you counter with some limp wrist "DUH
>HD-DUD IZ DUH DATAZ ANDZ DUH SONYZ DUZN'T PWNZ DUH BLUR-RAYZ!!!". It
>has always struck me how incredibly dense, stupid and ignorant the
>xflop fanbitches can be.
>
>Look, I am putting this on a separate line so even you illiterate
>retards can get it: BLU-RAY IS *NOT* JUST A MOVIE FORMAT. IT IS A
>GENERAL INEXPENSIVE PORTABLE HIGH DENSITY DATA FORMAT, MEANING GAMES,
>MOVIES AND DATA.
>
>Blu-ray drives are going to follow the same path as DVD. Here is the
>progression, dumbed down so even you idiots should be able to
>understand it. First, just like DVD, there will be fairly expensive BD-
>ROM drives included with higher end PC's. Then, the BD-ROM drives will
>drop rapidly in price. After that, higher end PC's will have fairly
>expensive BD+R/RE drives included. From there, the price of BD+R/RE
>drives will drop rapidly until, after awhile, inexpensive BD+R/RE will
>be standard drives for almost every PC. This is the exact same
>progression that happened for DVD and took about 5 years. About 3
>years in, PC games started showing up on DVD until now, they are all
>on DVD. The same is going to happen with Blu-ray. So, it is about DUH
>GHEYMZ, you idiots.

May be not as the DVD license holder was not Sony and Sony is very
greedy. Don't look for everyone to start manufacturing BD-ROM drives
right away.

>And guess who owns the Blue-Violet Laser Diode and the Blu-ray
>technology? Sure, Samsung and Sharp are now manufacturing Blue-Violet
>Laser Diodes -- but only after licensing the technology from Sony and
>Nichia. Some people remember when only Sony and Nichia manufactured
>blue-violet laser diodes and it wasn't that long ago. Blu-ray becoming
>the standard read/write portable high data density medium and drive
>for PC's means tons of cash coming for Sony and Nichia. xflop
>fanbitches am cry.

You made my point "...but only after licensing the technology from
Sony and Nichia"
There will be other options for High Capacity Storage.

Doug Jacobs 02-20-2008 07:05 PM

Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-Violet Laser Diode and Blu-ray

So...you want us to applaud you for picking the right format?
Gee, you only had a 50-50 chance of getting THAT one right.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

Tomcat 02-20-2008 08:14 PM

On Feb 19, 8:29*pm, Blig Merk <blig_m...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Look, I am putting this on a separate line so even you illiterate
> retards can get it: BLU-RAY IS *NOT* JUST A MOVIE FORMAT. IT IS A
> GENERAL INEXPENSIVE PORTABLE HIGH DENSITY DATA FORMAT, MEANING GAMES,
> MOVIES AND DATA.

I'm putting this on a seperate line as well:
THE XBOX 360 AND PS3 ARE NOT PRIMARILY MOVIE PLAYERS OR DATA STORAGE
DEVICES. THEY WERE INTENDED TO BE GAME CONSOLES. THEY DO NOT REQUIRE
HIGH CAPACITY DISKS TO FUNCTION. GAMES WORK FINE ON DVD. ALSO, BLU-
RAY IS NOT "INEXPENSIVE". ITS COST WAS AND STILL IS A MAJOR REASON
THE PS3 IS SOLD AT SUCH A LOSS THUS NECESSITATING A HIGH GAME
ATTACHMENT RATE FOR SONY TO MAKE A PROFIT BUT THIS IS NOT HAPPENING
YET.

>Blu-ray becoming the standard read/write portable high data density medium and drive for PC's means tons of cash coming for Sony

Let's hope it's at least $700 million (plus interest).

Calab 02-20-2008 08:36 PM

Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-Violet Laser Diode and Blu-ray

> THE XBOX 360 AND PS3 ARE NOT PRIMARILY MOVIE PLAYERS OR DATA
> STORAGE DEVICES. THEY WERE INTENDED TO BE GAME CONSOLES.

Except that the PS3 was never designed to be just a game console. Sony
themselves say that the PS3 was designed to be a media hub.

> THEY DO NOT REQUIRE HIGH CAPACITY DISKS TO FUNCTION. GAMES
> WORK FINE ON DVD.

Except for games that have more than 8 gig of content.

> ALSO, BLU-RAY IS NOT "INEXPENSIVE". ITS COST
> WAS AND STILL IS A MAJOR REASON THE PS3 IS SOLD AT SUCH A LOSS
> THUS NECESSITATING A HIGH GAME ATTACHMENT RATE FOR SONY TO
> MAKE A PROFIT BUT THIS IS NOT HAPPENING YET.

Maybe in your world, but Sony is laughing all the way to the bank now that
HDDVD is dead.

Tomcat 02-20-2008 09:01 PM

On Feb 20, 2:36*pm, "Calab" <mys...@csd.ca> wrote:

> Except that the PS3 was never designed to be just a game console. Sony
> themselves say that the PS3 was designed to be a media hub.

They said that primarily to justify the high price. The fact is the
PS3 cannot be a profitable product for Sony until it becomes more of a
game console and less as a movie player.

> Except for games that have more than 8 gig of content.

The 8 gig limitation hasn't been a problem for the 360 thus far and
isn't likely to be a major problem during the life of the 360. Plus
it's not going to be a showstopper if a few games have to ship on
multiple DVD's.

> Maybe in your world, but Sony is laughing all the way to the bank now that
> HDDVD is dead.

Again, what does HD-DVD dying have to do with the PS3 as a successful
and PROFITABLE game playing device?

Derek Janssen 02-20-2008 09:08 PM

Tomcat wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2:36 pm, "Calab" <mys...@csd.ca> wrote:
>
>>Except that the PS3 was never designed to be just a game console. Sony
>>themselves say that the PS3 was designed to be a media hub.

> Again, what does HD-DVD dying have to do with the PS3 as a successful
> and PROFITABLE game playing device?

Sony doesn't ask WHY you buy a PS3...

Derek Janssen
ejanss1@verizon.net

Tomcat 02-20-2008 09:15 PM

On Feb 20, 3:08*pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> Sony doesn't ask WHY you buy a PS3...

Well maybe they should. If a person has only the intention of
watching movies Sony would much rather them go buy a stand-alone Sony
Blu-ray player instead of a PS3.

Derek Janssen 02-20-2008 09:17 PM

Tomcat wrote:

> On Feb 20, 3:08 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Sony doesn't ask WHY you buy a PS3...
>>

> Well maybe they should. If a person has only the intention of
> watching movies Sony would much rather them go buy a stand-alone Sony
> Blu-ray player instead of a PS3.

If you buy an S300 that doesn't work, or if you buy a PS3 that does, for
movie-watching only, and play a Sony disk on either one, why should that
trouble their sleep any?

Derek Janssen
ejanss1@verizon.net

Tomcat 02-20-2008 09:22 PM

On Feb 20, 3:17*pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> If you buy an S300 that doesn't work, or if you buy a PS3 that does, for
> movie-watching only, and play a Sony disk on either one, why should that
> trouble their sleep any?

Because Sony loses more money on selling you a $400 PS3 as a movie
player than selling you the $400 S300.