Velocity Reviews

-   -   Session Timeout, not working (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t592807-session-timeout-not-working.html)

Scott 02-19-2008 10:20 PM

Session Timeout, not working

I have set the session timeout something greater then 20 minutes in
the web.config(120 minutes for testing) after 20 minutes to 30 minutes
click a button and am redirected back to the login. My Session is
reporting 120 minutes I know this becuase I display on a debug page.
below are the 2 areas in the web.config that I set anybody tell me
whats wrong or what is missing.

<sessionState mode="InProc" regenerateExpiredSessionId="false"
timeout="120">
</sessionState>

<forms name=".GSNAUTH" loginUrl="Login.aspx" path="/"
protection="Encryption" timeout="120" slidingExpiration="true"/>

When previeing on the page I see the top 1 becuase I have been able
to adjust it down to 60 minutes or 35 minutes whatever.

When I display on the debug page I show
lblSessionTimeout.text = Session.Timeout;

NOt sure what I am missing.

Anthony Jones 02-19-2008 10:44 PM

Re: Session Timeout, not working

"Scott" <sremiger@groceryshopping.net> wrote in message
> I have set the session timeout something greater then 20 minutes in
> the web.config(120 minutes for testing) after 20 minutes to 30 minutes
> click a button and am redirected back to the login. My Session is
> reporting 120 minutes I know this becuase I display on a debug page.
> below are the 2 areas in the web.config that I set anybody tell me
> whats wrong or what is missing.
>
> <sessionState mode="InProc" regenerateExpiredSessionId="false"
> timeout="120">
> </sessionState>
>
> <forms name=".GSNAUTH" loginUrl="Login.aspx" path="/"
> protection="Encryption" timeout="120" slidingExpiration="true"/>
>
> When previeing on the page I see the top 1 becuase I have been able
> to adjust it down to 60 minutes or 35 minutes whatever.
>
> When I display on the debug page I show
> lblSessionTimeout.text = Session.Timeout;
>
> NOt sure what I am missing.

Unless you have other clients creating activity on the site your Application
Pool is probably timing out. When a pool has seen absolutely no activity
whatsoever it can shutdown. Check the settings on the pool to which your
application belongs.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP] 02-20-2008 01:19 AM

RE: Session Timeout, not working

Session expiration and forms authentication timeouts are two separate and
distinct things. Being redirected to a login page is a forms authentication
timeout issue, unless somehow you are also using session to do this.
Your ASP.NET application can recycle for any number of reasons, and when it
does, all inProc Sessions go bye-bye.
-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog: htp://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net