Velocity Reviews

-   -   RIP HD-DVD -Toshiba Officially Drops HD DVD (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t592662-rip-hd-dvd-toshiba-officially-drops-hd-dvd.html)

Simon Gronow 02-19-2008 08:36 AM

RIP HD-DVD -Toshiba Officially Drops HD DVD

Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
effectively ending the high-def format war.

In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba emphasized
that it will continue to provide full product support and after-sales
service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...ps_HD_DVD/1477

Greg 02-19-2008 08:59 AM

Re: RIP HD-DVD -Toshiba Officially Drops HD DVD

I suprised that Sony finaly won. Even though there product was more
expensive than HD DVD. Damn if they were going to loose again.

Unlike the old days BETA vs VHS where Sony lost out to a inferior
technology.

"Simon Gronow" <srg@babcom.net.au> wrote in message
> Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
> longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
> effectively ending the high-def format war.
>
> In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
> decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba
> emphasized that it will continue to provide full product support and
> after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

All those XBOX 360 users who got the HD DVD addon. I hope Microsoft will
now release a Blueray player for the XBOX 360. Or include one bundled in the
next model.

Dummy 02-19-2008 10:19 AM

On Feb 19, 6:36 pm, "Simon Gronow" <s...@babcom.net.au> wrote:
> Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
> longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
> effectively ending the high-def format war.
>
> In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
> decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba emphasized
> that it will continue to provide full product support and after-sales
> service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.
>
> http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...a_Officially_D...

So how long before they stop making old-formate DVD players?

===
= DUG.
===

wotarealsmash 02-19-2008 10:39 AM

"Dummy" <Paul.Duggan@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message
> On Feb 19, 6:36 pm, "Simon Gronow" <s...@babcom.net.au> wrote:
>> Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
>> longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
>> effectively ending the high-def format war.
>>
>> In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
>> decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba
>> emphasized
>> that it will continue to provide full product support and after-sales
>> service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.
>>
>> http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...a_Officially_D...

> So how long before they stop making old-formate DVD players?
>
> ===
> = DUG.
> ===

As in Standard DVD Players? Why? Do you want them to also phase out standard
dvd's and that only Blu-Ray disks will be able to be played(not HD-DVD, not
SD DVD, just BR),and that you will have to buy a new BR player to be able to
watch them with?

SalesMart.com.au 02-19-2008 10:43 AM

Re: RIP HD-DVD -Toshiba Officially Drops HD DVD

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:19:24 -0800 (PST), Dummy
<Paul.Duggan@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

>On Feb 19, 6:36 pm, "Simon Gronow" <s...@babcom.net.au> wrote:
>> Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
>> longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
>> effectively ending the high-def format war.
>>
>> In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
>> decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba emphasized
>> that it will continue to provide full product support and after-sales
>> service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.
>>
>> http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...a_Officially_D...

>So how long before they stop making old-formate DVD players?

Blu-Ray will only knock off DVD when it gets down to sub $100 for the
players. Blu-Ray players also play DVD and CD media.

DVD will be around for the next couple of years but when the Blu-Ray
players start to outsell DVD players then you'll see movies coming out
on Blu-Ray only.

The next big thing will be HVD or memory card recorders which have
been out for about a year now. These record to memory cards and with
4Gb memory cards down to about $30 and getting cheaper then you can
see what could well happen. 8Gb and 16Gb memory cards are available
with even higher capacity cards on the way.

SalesMart.com.au
Perth, Western Australia
http://www.salesmart.com.au
Email Contact info on the above site.

SalesMart.com.au 02-19-2008 10:49 AM

Re: RIP HD-DVD -Toshiba Officially Drops HD DVD

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:59:08 +1100, "Greg"
<g12345567@no-spam-yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>I suprised that Sony finaly won. Even though there product was more
>expensive than HD DVD. Damn if they were going to loose again.

I'm not surprised at all. All the major hardware developers were going
Blu-Ray with players and burners. Blu-Ray burners got out to 4x/6x
with Toshiba HD-DVD burner stuck at 1x and to this day I never saw a
single supplier in this country with a HD-DVD burner.

>Unlike the old days BETA vs VHS where Sony lost out to a inferior
>technology.

Lessons were leant by some and not by others it would seem.

>"Simon Gronow" <srg@babcom.net.au> wrote in message
>> Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
>> longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
>> effectively ending the high-def format war.
>>
>> In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
>> decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba
>> emphasized that it will continue to provide full product support and
>> after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

>All those XBOX 360 users who got the HD DVD addon. I hope Microsoft will
>now release a Blueray player for the XBOX 360. Or include one bundled in the
>next model.

Blu-Ray was always going to win with many companies backing it.

GDS 02-19-2008 11:00 AM

"Greg" <g12345567@no-spam-yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> Unlike the old days BETA vs VHS where Sony lost out to a inferior
> technology.

Umm, BETA is and has always been superior to VHS, what are you trying to
say?

GDS 02-19-2008 11:01 AM

"GDS" <fake.mail@ii.net> wrote in message

> "Greg" <g12345567@no-spam-yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>> Unlike the old days BETA vs VHS where Sony lost out to a inferior
>> technology.

> Umm, BETA is and has always been superior to VHS, what are you trying to
> say?

Sorry, just re-read you post, and yes I'm an idiot :\

wotarealsmash 02-19-2008 11:17 AM

Re: RIP HD-DVD -Toshiba Officially Drops HD DVD

>>So how long before they stop making old-formate DVD players?

> Blu-Ray will only knock off DVD when it gets down to sub $100 for the
> players. Blu-Ray players also play DVD and CD media.
>
> DVD will be around for the next couple of years but when the Blu-Ray
> players start to outsell DVD players then you'll see movies coming out
> on Blu-Ray only.

2 Years??? So in 2010, SD, will, err, be finished??? And that Blu-Ray, will
be the only format available? What about all those people who have a decent
dvd collection(Standard DVD) already? Are you then supposed to replace your
500 + titles again??? What about titles that are OOP, and that won't get
released onto Blu-Ray?

Terry Wrist 02-19-2008 11:43 AM

Re: RIP HD-DVD -Toshiba Officially Drops HD DVD

Umm weren't you listening. You can play DVDs on a Blu-Ray player. There is
no reason to continue making DVD players as you can play your DVDs on
Blu_Ray player and you actually get a better picture as it is upscaled to
1080i/p depending on the player.
You once coult buy VCD players they are gone but guess what? You can still
play VCDs on DVD players.

Too many any Blu-Ray knockers out there hope you enjoy your HD-DVD