Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problems connecting to internet through my wireless network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t592329-problems-connecting-to-internet-through-my-wireless-network.html)

malfuriouspete 02-18-2008 12:03 AM

Problems connecting to internet through my wireless network

this has just started happening recently. I'll be using the internet on my
wireless network and for some reason my connection will just stop, and I'm
forced to go through Microsoft Diagnostics to reconnect. This is basically
what I see through the diagnostics:

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name
or
address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name
or
address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name
or
address could not be resolved
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

Its been happening to my wife's computer as well, connection being dropped
all the time. I thought it was something with my router but I'm not so sure.
I'm pretty sure I haven't fooled around with any of the settings recently
since this has only started happening within the last 2 weeks. Its a huge
inconvenience more than anything since diagnostics usually restores the
connection but I'd rather not have to do that every 15 minutes.

If anyone can help, greatly appreciated

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 02-18-2008 01:41 AM

Re: Problems connecting to internet through my wireless network

Hi
You to check whether it is the Internet connection that get lost or the
Connection from the computer to the Wireless Router.
When the errors occurrence run ipconfig /all to see if the computer has a
local IP address.
http://www.ezlan.net/ip_mac.html
It it lost the local IP check the Wireless settings of the Router.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

John Lee Brown 02-18-2008 01:53 AM

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> You to check whether it is the Internet connection that get lost or the
> Connection from the computer to the Wireless Router.
> When the errors occurrence run ipconfig /all to see if the computer has a
> local IP address.
> http://www.ezlan.net/ip_mac.html
> It it lost the local IP check the Wireless settings of the Router.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "malfuriouspete" <malfuriouspete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:91FDF9AD-61F2-4488-AB0B-F58C57437818@microsoft.com...
>> this has just started happening recently. I'll be using the internet on
>> my
>> wireless network and for some reason my connection will just stop, and
>> I'm
>> forced to go through Microsoft Diagnostics to reconnect. This is
>> basically
>> what I see through the diagnostics:
>>
>> warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name
>> or
>> address could not be resolved
>> warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The
>> server
>> name or address could not be resolved
>> warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server
>> name or
>> address could not be resolved
>> warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name
>> or
>> address could not be resolved
>> warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The
>> server
>> name or address could not be resolved
>> warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name
>> or
>> address could not be resolved
>> error Could not make an HTTP connection.
>> error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
>> error Could not make an FTP connection.
>>
>> Its been happening to my wife's computer as well, connection being
>> dropped
>> all the time. I thought it was something with my router but I'm not so
>> sure.
>> I'm pretty sure I haven't fooled around with any of the settings recently
>> since this has only started happening within the last 2 weeks. Its a huge
>> inconvenience more than anything since diagnostics usually restores the
>> connection but I'd rather not have to do that every 15 minutes.
>>
>> If anyone can help, greatly appreciated

If you have a 2.4 g phone near the wireless that can cause signal loss. If
it is a signal loss you can try changing the channel that your wireless
router is using.

malfuriouspete 02-19-2008 01:07 AM

Re: Problems connecting to internet through my wireless network

Hi Jack,

thanks for the tip, if it happens again, I check the ip address.

If I lost my IP address you say I need to check the settings on my router.
Exactly which settings should I look at?

Also, if I still have a local IP address and this keeps happening, what
should I do in that situation?

thanks!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 02-19-2008 01:47 AM

Re: Problems connecting to internet through my wireless network

Hi
If you still have an address and a connection to the Router, then it could
be that the Internet connection between your modem and the Router is not
working well.

malfuriouspete 03-20-2008 03:45 AM

Re: Problems connecting to internet through my wireless network

The problem is still happening and i've checked ipconfig /all and I still
have an IP address, so I guess the problem is between the router and modem.

If this is definately the case... how to do I fix the problem between the
router and modem??

Are there any other possible causes to this problem??? Because like I said
before, it only started happening recently. I've had this connection for over
a year now and no problems up until 2 months ago. Should I contact my
provider??

thanks

malfuriouspete 03-21-2008 02:42 AM

Zoft 06-01-2008 10:24 PM

RE: Problems connecting to internet through my wireless network

Hi,
I just got this same problem today and lost the IP address too. I reset my
Internet connections to default and the IP address came back but I still
can't get on the Internet or use the wireless router. I do not know what to
do either. I also got an error message that says "Hostname www.microsoft.com
could not be resolved (Error code 0x2afc) Could be either gateway or DNS
issue."

Microsoft does not have either error message codes in their database. Help?
Please.

Barb Bowman 06-02-2008 08:05 AM

Re: Problems connecting to internet through my wireless network

You are replying to a thread that is very old. Did you reset your
broadband modem and routers?

Did you add any software? Download driver updates?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP