Velocity Reviews

-   Reviews & How-To's (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f11-reviews-and-how-tos.html)
-   -   Review: Sharkoon Silent Eagle 80mm Fans (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t591-review-sharkoon-silent-eagle-80mm-fans.html)

Silverstrand 09-08-2005 11:06 PM

Review: Sharkoon Silent Eagle 80mm Fans

http://velocityreviews.com/reviews/r...8/review48.jpg
It has been a while since I've done a review on a simple item such as a fan. This is usually because fans have reached their peak in performance, features, and esthetics. With a little tweaking, Sharkoon has managed to bring such a simple item to its true peak, by creating possibly the quietest 80mm fan on the market.
Review Link
**Discuss this review in this thread only**

RObErT_RaTh 09-09-2005 03:04 AM

It's all well and good to have silent fans but when they don't move much more than 20CFM they aren't very useful to me. It gets pretty hot here in Aus in summer and without some decent case fans a lot of people get crashes.

unholy 09-09-2005 06:50 AM

Hot... u mean warm.... and to there hot rating, extremely uncomfortable... it gets 40c where i live, and even past that!
But these days it all about the DBa with fans, honesty i really dont care with the DB's 10-20- maybe even 40 is fine...

XhArD 09-09-2005 07:29 AM

haha, 40+! yeah, this year was the hottest in like, 30 years. But it was only 40+ for about a week. Your complaining about nothing, man. Unless you really want to overclock your pc something chronic, it shouldnt worry you, youve got air conditioning dont you?

unholy 09-09-2005 01:02 PM

me, nope i got the good old fan... i am the only one without air con :P i guess i will have to use PVC pipes and run Liquid Nitrogen around my room (as seen on tv! :|) maybe just use my Nitrogen computer for a reason :D

zachig 09-11-2005 05:39 AM

Never cared too much 'bout fans. I don't care if they are doing noise, as long as they decently cool the system. I currently use Vantec/Delta/Panflo fans in my rig.

RObErT_RaTh 09-11-2005 06:16 AM

Vantec stealth or tornados? One is silent the other you can hear from a mile away :) And those deltas are pretty loud too. Most Panaflo are nice and quiet

bigal 09-11-2005 02:19 PM

Those are good fans...

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachig
Never cared too much 'bout fans. I don't care if they are doing noise, as long as they decently cool the system. I currently use Vantec/Delta/Panflo fans in my rig.

I've found the Panflo fans to be the best, in terms of being quiet while moving a significant amount of air. These Silent Eagle fans aren't designed to move much air - just enough to keep the air moving through your case. The faster model 2000 might work as a CPU fan, with the right heatsink such as a Thermalright Si-97 or Si-120. Heatpipe heatsinks (CPU coolers) don't need as much air blowing through them as the old standard copper fin heatsinks.
Regarding the inability to test these fans, I guess Silverstrand meant he had no way to measure the sound level accurately. Even though I bought a Radio Shack sound level meter a few months ago, I agree it is difficult to measure the sound accurately - too many parameters are not standardized. You can only do it if you have a sample of several fans, and measure them all the same way (same distance from the blades, same voltage applied to the fan, same ambient noise level and temperature, etc. With these particular fans, you might not even get the meter to register a reading - they are that quiet. And how do we measure the cubic feet per minute output of a fan without some type of chamber and some meters? It would be difficult too. :?

XhArD 09-12-2005 12:38 AM

Re: Those are good fans...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigal
And how do we measure the cubic feet per minute output of a fan without some type of chamber and some meters? It would be difficult too. :?

Thats your job though! You have to tell me whether its worth buying or not :P

unholy 09-12-2005 01:53 PM

haha man looks like another Benchmark for me to make :Di know!!!... u fill a Chamber with Compressed air...and the other without air... use the Fan as a Vaccum... inbetween the two... and the time is take to move say 10 Cubic Feet was 6 seconds (10 / 6) * 60 = 100 CFM
sound too technical?