Velocity Reviews

-   -   need help with physical layout - D-Link products (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t590372-need-help-with-physical-layout-d-link-products.html)

Mike Webb 02-08-2008 02:17 PM

need help with physical layout - D-Link products

I sent the below to D-Link, but they side-stepped and asked me to call
Sales. So I thought I'd ask here.

==============
I need advice on how to properly extend my WLAN to another building.

I have a DI-525 wireless router in our main building, wired to a DES-1024
unmanaged switch. One of the DWL-2200AP's (wireless access points) has an
external, omni-directional antenna on our roof to broadcast to our other
buildings. In one of those I need to put a minimum of 3 DWL-2200AP's. I
already have a directional antenna pointed at the main building's antenna,
with the cable for it run into that building's attic.

The DI-525 is setup as the DHCP server. I want all AP's on the same SSID,
channel, and WPA2 Personal with 'pass-phrase'.

My question is: What device do I need to serve as the "hub" for the 3 AP's?
Or can I connect a DWL-2200AP to that antenna, run a cable from it to a hub
or unmanaged switch and then connect the other two AP's to that switch?

--
Mike Webb
Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 02-08-2008 07:31 PM

Re: need help with physical layout - D-Link products

Hi
A regular switch would do.
I do not know the amount of load and stability that you need over this
Network. The DWL-2200APs are good devices that can be used in a
semiprofessional environment, the DI-525 is a low end device that might Not
do an adequate job.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Mike Webb 02-08-2008 07:49 PM

Re: need help with physical layout - D-Link products

Thanks!