Velocity Reviews

-   -   Extracting EXIF information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t590344-extracting-exif-information.html)

Rob G 02-08-2008 12:06 PM

Extracting EXIF information

I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
an attraction !

Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

Thanks

Rob

nospam 02-08-2008 12:14 PM

Re: Extracting EXIF information

In article
<2c198e5f-5581-42a7-b85d-9cbce9f0db30@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Rob
G <robkgraham@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
> nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
> data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
> application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

the best exif utility is exiftool:
<http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

there's a also gui version for windows at:
<http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm>

Art 02-08-2008 01:17 PM

Re: Extracting EXIF information

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G
<robkgraham@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
>cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
>bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
>size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
>an attraction !
>
>Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
>nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
>data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
>application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Rob

You can view EXIF through most of the free programs available:
FastStone and Irfanview both let you open and read the EXIF data.

There are also some dedicated Exif readers that show EVERY field the
mfg wrote - however for a P&S the standard programs are usually a
complete listing.

Google is your friend finding any or all of these ;).

John Navas 02-08-2008 05:35 PM

<robkgraham@btinternet.com> wrote in
<2c198e5f-5581-42a7-b85d-9cbce9f0db30@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:

>I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
>cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
>bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
>size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
>an attraction !
>
>Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
>nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
>data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
>application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

1.

PhotoME
http://www.photome.de/

2.

ExifTool
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

3.

<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/photoinfo.mspx>

Microsoft Photo Info enables easy editing of "metadata" for digital
photographs from inside Windows Explorer

Published: January 22, 2007

Microsoft Photo Info is a new software add-in for Microsoft Windows that
allows photographers to add, change and delete common "metadata"
properties for digital photographs from inside Windows Explorer. It also
provides enhanced "hover tips" and additional sort properties for
digital photographs in Explorer (in Details view).

Microsoft Photo Info runs on 32-bit versions of Windows XP (with Service
Pack 2 or later) and the Windows Vista operating systems.

Free download after Validation.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

jean 02-08-2008 06:27 PM

Re: Extracting EXIF information

Exposure plot http://www.wega2.vandel.nl/ freeware is very interesting.

Jean

2c198e5f-5581-42a7-b85d-9cbce9f0db30...oglegroups.com...

snapper@mailinator.com 02-08-2008 08:14 PM

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G <robkgraham@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
> cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
> bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
> size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
> an attraction !
>
> Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
> nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
> data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
> application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

Use Irfanview as your image viewer and hit "I" to view the data.

John Navas 02-08-2008 08:43 PM

Re: Extracting EXIF information

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 07:14:55 +1100, snapper@mailinator.com wrote in
<01epq3hg65n3ro0rqmr9crsc2rpn2kvfie@4ax.com>:

>On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G <robkgraham@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
>> cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
>> bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
>> size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
>> an attraction !
>>
>> Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
>> nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
>> data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
>> application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

>Use Irfanview as your image viewer and hit "I" to view the data.

If you install the appropriate plug-in.
<http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm>

Rob G 02-08-2008 08:49 PM

On 8 Feb, 20:14, snap...@mailinator.com wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G <robkgra...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
> > cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
> > bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
> > size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
> > an attraction !

> > Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
> > nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
> > data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
> > application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

> Use Irfanview as your image viewer and hit "I" to view the data.

Thanks everyone - downloaded the Microsoft Photo Info program and
found it adequate for what I wanted.

Cheers
Rob

Art 02-09-2008 12:49 PM

Re: Extracting EXIF information

THanks for the lead on the Microsoft tool. This is VERY handy for
quick checks and batch edits of JPGS before distribution.

John Navas 02-09-2008 03:27 PM

Re: Extracting EXIF information

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 05:49:43 -0700, Art
<a_held-nospamplease@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote in
<s98rq3lvthqg5scm3aq89jk57dfmle7o3d@4ax.com>:

>THanks for the lead on the Microsoft tool. This is VERY handy for
>quick checks and batch edits of JPGS before distribution.

You're welcome. Thanks for taking the time to say thanks.