Velocity Reviews

-   -   Checking Security (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5902-checking-security.html)

=?Utf-8?B?SmFjaw==?= 03-04-2005 04:33 PM

Checking Security

How can you check to see if you have adequate security on a network? I
installed a Linksys WRK54G router and WUSB54G adapters and I followed all the
suggestions for as far as Security and Encription and Pre-Shared key.

I ran a scan that Mcafee has available on their site and it tells me that I
an quite vulnerable. I probably don't have the password, SSID and Pre-Shared
key quite as "unique" as possible, but can be changed.

Here are the settings I have used: Security=WPA-PSK, Encryption=TKIP.
What else should I be doing, or is the Mcafee program just covering all bases?

Is there anyway else to check the security?

Thanks,
--
Jack

george 03-04-2005 04:41 PM

Re: Checking Security

Try here;
ShieldsUp by Gibson Research https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

george

JE 03-04-2005 05:27 PM

Re: Checking Security

Thanks George, I will take a look and THANKS!

Jack \(MVP\) 03-04-2005 08:35 PM

Re: Checking Security

Hi
First bear in mind that though the same word Security is used to describe
secure Internet Connection and Secure Wireless there is No relation between
the two from a Computer functioning perspective.
Wireless Security has Nothing to do with securing the Internet Connection,
which is what GRC, and MacAfee security scanners Test.
Wireless is just a replacement for a Wire and thus can be intercepted by
people in the neighborhood attaching then self to your Signal and use your
LAN. To avoid Local Tapping there is Wireless Security measures . These
measures are unique the Wireless components, and have to be used even if
there is No Internet Connection.
Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
The Firewall/AntiVirus/AntiSpy applications are the one that protect the
Internet connection from being invaded, and preventing your LAN computers
from transmitting out to the Internet privileged information.
Each computer on your Network that has access to the Internet should have
its own Internet Connection protection regardless of whether you use Wire or
Wireless.
Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
In addition you should have tools available to clean your computers if they
get Infested with Internet "Junk".
Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html
Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk" - http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

JE 03-04-2005 09:31 PM

Re: Checking Security

Thanks Jack.

This is the first I have ever used wireless and after doing everything I
have been advised to do and then running the McAfee WiFi scan they have
online, I got just a little paranoid. You have helped me out.

Thanks,
Jack