Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't share files or printer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t590182-cant-share-files-or-printer.html)

tad1073 02-07-2008 04:49 PM

Can't share files or printer

On my xp machine, when I mark a folder as shared it does not show up in "M
yNetwork Places" attached is my original post. Come on people, give me a hand.
--
| Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
| Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
Card |

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\) 02-07-2008 08:24 PM

Re: Can't share files or printer

Do this command: net share. Post back with the result.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 02-07-2008 08:41 PM

Re: Can't share files or printer

Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

tad1073 02-09-2008 12:59 AM

Re: Can't share files or printer

I've managed to get files shared from xp to ubuntu. Now for my next problem.
I can't access the network printer which is connected to the xp machine. I
don't know if my cupsys or smb configuration files are set-up correctly for
printing to a network printer or maybe it is the gutenprint drivers, I just
don't know.

Here is the out-put of net share.

print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
Printer Drivers
IPC$ Remote IPC
FancyFelineR C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\Fancy Feline Rescue of
he South
Fancy Feline Rescue of the South
MyPictures C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\My Pictures
Mom's Pictures
SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS

Tad C:\Documents and Settings\Tad
CanonMP780FA USB002 Spooled Canon MP780 FAX
CanonMP780Se USB001 Spooled Canon MP780 Series Printer
CAPTUREFAXBV Spooled CAPTURE FAX BVRP share created by
Printer LPT1: Spooled Quicken PDF Printer
Printer3 LPT1: Spooled HP DeskJet 550C

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\) 02-09-2008 03:04 PM

Re: Can't share files or printer

We had a case like this one. Make sure the share name is not too long. This
post may help. Please post back with the result.

need help for network printinghave a wired network 2 desktops to a router.
desktop "a" running windows 98 with the printer connected desktop "b" RUN
WINDOWS XP no printer. had set up ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...aa9069d9b6b5b5

tad1073 02-11-2008 07:33 PM

Re: Can't share files or printer

I have tried everthing but nothing seems to work. Also when I try to access
to "View Workgroup Cpmputers" I get an error message stating:

"Mshome is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contack the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

I get this message even when I have my ubuntu box turned on. I tried to ping
ubuntu but the request timed out. any suggestions?

tad1073 02-15-2008 05:17 PM

Re: Can't share files or printer

I did "net view \\myipaddress" and it returned access denied. Somebody give
me some good information.