Velocity Reviews

-   -   Making an ASP.NET page talk to a running .NET program (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t590030-making-an-asp-net-page-talk-to-a-running-net-program.html)

jmcgrew@gmail.com 02-07-2008 01:26 AM

Making an ASP.NET page talk to a running .NET program

I'm not very familiar with ASP.NET, so any pointers would be
appreciated.

I'm developing a C# program which will basically run in the background
as a server. I want to have a web-based front end which people can use
to configure the server, edit their accounts, upload new data, etc.

One way to implement this would be for the server to accept
connections on a special port, and the ASP pages would connect to the
server and talk over the socket. But that adds complexity to the
server.

Is there a way to let the ASP pages work directly with the objects in
the server process instead?

Coskun SUNALI [MVP] 02-07-2008 02:51 AM

Re: Making an ASP.NET page talk to a running .NET program

Hi,

Yes, .NET Remoting is used for such kind of business issues.

For information regarding .NET Remoting, please visit the following page:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...2k(VS.80).aspx

--
All the best,
Coskun SUNALI

Eliyahu Goldin 02-07-2008 08:51 AM

Re: Making an ASP.NET page talk to a running .NET program

Consider using MSMQ with WCF. Just google for these 2 words.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

sloan 02-07-2008 01:56 PM

Re: Making an ASP.NET page talk to a running .NET program

Check here:

http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!158.entry

I have a msmq example and nonmsmq wcf examples.

downloadable code....run a few .sql scripts and it'll work.

But WCF is probably the tree you want to bark up.

jmcgrew@gmail.com 02-08-2008 12:52 AM

On Feb 7, 5:56 am, "sloan" <sl...@ipass.net> wrote:
> Check here:
>
> http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!158.entry
>
> I have a msmq example and nonmsmq wcf examples.
>
> downloadable code....run a few .sql scripts and it'll work.
>
> But WCF is probably the tree you want to bark up.

This looks awfully complicated and "enterprisey" for what I'm trying
to do. Is there a reason to prefer MSMQ/WCF over .NET Remoting?

Jesse