Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wireless Networking (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f19-wireless-networking.html)
-   -   Vista Laptop Won't Accept 6 Character WEP Key (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t589946-vista-laptop-wont-accept-6-character-wep-key.html)

Keith Willcocks 02-06-2008 06:03 PM

Vista Laptop Won't Accept 6 Character WEP Key
 
I have a Vista Laptop and need to connect to a router that is operating with
a non hexadecimal 6 character WEP key. The other PCs connecting to it are
all XP machines and have no difficulty. My Vista machine brings up a
message that the key is wrong and must be 5 or 13 characters for non hex and
10 or 26 characters for hex. Changing the security to WPA or changing the
key itself are not options available to me. How can I persuade the Vista
machine to accept the key please.
--
Keith Willcocks
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living!)



Nospam 02-06-2008 06:32 PM

Re: Vista Laptop Won't Accept 6 Character WEP Key
 
In message <L4udnWRL3a7-azTanZ2dnUVZ8vmdnZ2d@bt.com>, Keith Willcocks
<buccaneer@invalidaddress.inv> writes
>I have a Vista Laptop and need to connect to a router that is operating with
>a non hexadecimal 6 character WEP key. The other PCs connecting to it are
>all XP machines and have no difficulty. My Vista machine brings up a
>message that the key is wrong and must be 5 or 13 characters for non hex and
>10 or 26 characters for hex. Changing the security to WPA or changing the
>key itself are not options available to me. How can I persuade the Vista
>machine to accept the key please.



I had the same problem with a new laptop running vista.
My XP and win2000 systems were OK.

Vista was saying incorrect key.

it turned out to be the router needed its firmware updated.

After I updated my router, speedtouch 580, All was well with the world.


--
Nospam

Barb Bowman 02-06-2008 06:43 PM

Re: Vista Laptop Won't Accept 6 Character WEP Key
 
you possibly are using some passphrase generator 6 character phrase
as opposed to the actual ASCI or HEX key.

consider doing what you need to do to make WPA an option for you. Or
buying a new router that supports WPA. WEP is not safe at all. Not
sure why you can't make these changes. Isn't this your network?

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 18:03:18 -0000, "Keith Willcocks"
<buccaneer@invalidaddress.inv> wrote:

>I have a Vista Laptop and need to connect to a router that is operating with
>a non hexadecimal 6 character WEP key. The other PCs connecting to it are
>all XP machines and have no difficulty. My Vista machine brings up a
>message that the key is wrong and must be 5 or 13 characters for non hex and
>10 or 26 characters for hex. Changing the security to WPA or changing the
>key itself are not options available to me. How can I persuade the Vista
>machine to accept the key please.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

Keith Willcocks 02-06-2008 08:52 PM

Re: Vista Laptop Won't Accept 6 Character WEP Key
 
Regrettably the router is not accessible to me. It is a company one and
only the outsourced IT people can get in. They have given me the 6
character key which is, and I am happy to quote it here because it is of no
use
to anyone else, "l0gger" with one numeric character (the zero). As far as
they are concerned that is all I need but it seems that Vista, unlike XP,
won't play ball. I work one day a week there writing Access database
applications and use my own laptop for it but I need the network access to
use the printing facilities.
--
Keith Willcocks

"Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:prvjq3ttlpebkt5rldqrbktdr0srnj540k@4ax.com...
> you possibly are using some passphrase generator 6 character phrase
> as opposed to the actual ASCI or HEX key.
>
> consider doing what you need to do to make WPA an option for you. Or
> buying a new router that supports WPA. WEP is not safe at all. Not
> sure why you can't make these changes. Isn't this your network?
>
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 18:03:18 -0000, "Keith Willcocks"
> <buccaneer@invalidaddress.inv> wrote:
>
>>I have a Vista Laptop and need to connect to a router that is operating
>>with
>>a non hexadecimal 6 character WEP key. The other PCs connecting to it
>>are
>>all XP machines and have no difficulty. My Vista machine brings up a
>>message that the key is wrong and must be 5 or 13 characters for non hex
>>and
>>10 or 26 characters for hex. Changing the security to WPA or changing
>>the
>>key itself are not options available to me. How can I persuade the Vista
>>machine to accept the key please.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/




Nospam 02-06-2008 09:34 PM

Re: Vista Laptop Won't Accept 6 Character WEP Key
 
In message <MIudnTlkn5-4gzfanZ2dnUVZ8uednZ2d@bt.com>, Keith Willcocks
<buccaneer@invalidaddress.inv> writes
>Regrettably the router is not accessible to me. It is a company one and
>only the outsourced IT people can get in. They have given me the 6
>character key which is, and I am happy to quote it here because it is of no
>use
>to anyone else, "l0gger" with one numeric character (the zero). As far as
>they are concerned that is all I need but it seems that Vista, unlike XP,
>won't play ball. I work one day a week there writing Access database
>applications and use my own laptop for it but I need the network access to
>use the printing facilities.


Do they have any vista systems accessing the router?

If they do then it's not a router issue but down to your system i'm
afraid.

not that i am saying it is a router problem, i just know of 7 people who
had to update their router to allow vista systems to access their
router.
--
Nospam

Barb Bowman 02-06-2008 10:00 PM

Re: Vista Laptop Won't Accept 6 Character WEP Key
 
you need to find the utility that coverts that to HEX
or ask them for the actual HEX key.

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 20:52:59 -0000, "Keith Willcocks"
<buccaneer@invalidaddress.inv> wrote:

>Regrettably the router is not accessible to me. It is a company one and
>only the outsourced IT people can get in. They have given me the 6
>character key which is, and I am happy to quote it here because it is of no
>use
>to anyone else, "l0gger" with one numeric character (the zero). As far as
>they are concerned that is all I need but it seems that Vista, unlike XP,
>won't play ball. I work one day a week there writing Access database
>applications and use my own laptop for it but I need the network access to
>use the printing facilities.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

Keith Willcocks 02-07-2008 07:36 AM

Re: Vista Laptop Won't Accept 6 Character WEP Key
 

"Nospam" <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:wqRW6tIIfiqHFwy+@nospam.demon.co.uk...
> In message <MIudnTlkn5-4gzfanZ2dnUVZ8uednZ2d@bt.com>, Keith Willcocks
> <buccaneer@invalidaddress.inv> writes
>>Regrettably the router is not accessible to me. It is a company one and
>>only the outsourced IT people can get in. They have given me the 6
>>character key which is, and I am happy to quote it here because it is of
>>no
>>use
>>to anyone else, "l0gger" with one numeric character (the zero). As far
>>as
>>they are concerned that is all I need but it seems that Vista, unlike XP,
>>won't play ball. I work one day a week there writing Access database
>>applications and use my own laptop for it but I need the network access to
>>use the printing facilities.

>
> Do they have any vista systems accessing the router?
>
> If they do then it's not a router issue but down to your system i'm
> afraid.
>
> not that i am saying it is a router problem, i just know of 7 people who
> had to update their router to allow vista systems to access their router.


Mine is the only Vista PC trying to access the system. All the others are
XP. I am going to take up Barb's suggestion next Wednesday.
--
Keith Willcocks
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living!)



Keith Willcocks 02-07-2008 07:38 AM

Re: Vista Laptop Won't Accept 6 Character WEP Key
 
I will take it up again with them next Wednesday. I wasn't aware that it
was (for want of a better description) an intermediate code. Thanks for
the advice.
--
Keith Willcocks
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living!)


"Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:4fbkq3dh9jeaped23kf305ele69431po7m@4ax.com...
> you need to find the utility that coverts that to HEX
> or ask them for the actual HEX key.
>
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 20:52:59 -0000, "Keith Willcocks"
> <buccaneer@invalidaddress.inv> wrote:
>
>>Regrettably the router is not accessible to me. It is a company one and
>>only the outsourced IT people can get in. They have given me the 6
>>character key which is, and I am happy to quote it here because it is of
>>no
>>use
>>to anyone else, "l0gger" with one numeric character (the zero). As far
>>as
>>they are concerned that is all I need but it seems that Vista, unlike XP,
>>won't play ball. I work one day a week there writing Access database
>>applications and use my own laptop for it but I need the network access to
>>use the printing facilities.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/




Barb Bowman 02-07-2008 10:29 AM

Re: Vista Laptop Won't Accept 6 Character WEP Key
 
let us know either way

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 07:38:17 -0000, "Keith Willcocks"
<buccaneer@invalidaddress.inv> wrote:

>I will take it up again with them next Wednesday. I wasn't aware that it
>was (for want of a better description) an intermediate code. Thanks for
>the advice.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

Keith Willcocks 02-07-2008 06:03 PM

Re: Vista Laptop Won't Accept 6 Character WEP Key
 
Will do. Thanks for your interest.
--
Keith Willcocks
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living!)

"Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:tbnlq3pd4jbfaq0b3d9aqhdic0198r86sn@4ax.com...
> let us know either way
>
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 07:38:17 -0000, "Keith Willcocks"
> <buccaneer@invalidaddress.inv> wrote:
>
>>I will take it up again with them next Wednesday. I wasn't aware that it
>>was (for want of a better description) an intermediate code. Thanks for
>>the advice.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/





All times are GMT. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.