Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t589613-combating-creeping-lens-syndrome.html)

jmc 02-05-2008 10:45 AM

Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome
 
Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep.

I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:

What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

jmc

salgud 02-05-2008 02:53 PM

Re: Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome
 
On Feb 5, 3:45*am, jmc <NOnewsgroupsS...@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> wrote:
> Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. *In the
> beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
> the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep.
>
> I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
> most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
> had in my truck. *It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:
>
> What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
> carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?
>
> jmc


Superglue will do it.

TConway 02-05-2008 04:49 PM

Re: Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome
 

"salgud" <davegbel@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:82d943bb-3f77-4538-b41e-fe1696f3bd44@k2g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
On Feb 5, 3:45 am, jmc <NOnewsgroupsS...@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> wrote:
> Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
> beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
> the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep.
>
> I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
> most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
> had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:
>
> What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
> carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?
>
> jmc


Superglue will do it.

uh, I think he means to be able to use it later.



salgud 02-05-2008 05:40 PM

Re: Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome
 
On Feb 5, 9:49*am, "TConway" <tconway_113NOS...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "salgud" <daveg...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> news:82d943bb-3f77-4538-b41e-fe1696f3bd44@k2g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
> On Feb 5, 3:45 am, jmc <NOnewsgroupsS...@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> wrote:
>
> > Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
> > beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
> > the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep..

>
> > I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
> > most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
> > had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:

>
> > What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
> > carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

>
> > jmc

>
> Superglue will do it.
>
> uh, I think he means to be able to use it later.


Picky, picky, picky.

TConway 02-05-2008 06:54 PM

Re: Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome
 

"salgud" <davegbel@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:0977fa5c-92e9-4071-8368-47324d98027b@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...
On Feb 5, 9:49 am, "TConway" <tconway_113NOS...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "salgud" <daveg...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> news:82d943bb-3f77-4538-b41e-fe1696f3bd44@k2g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
> On Feb 5, 3:45 am, jmc <NOnewsgroupsS...@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> wrote:
>
> > Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
> > beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
> > the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens
> > Creep.

>
> > I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
> > most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
> > had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:

>
> > What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
> > carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

>
> > jmc

>
> Superglue will do it.
>
> uh, I think he means to be able to use it later.


Picky, picky, picky.

actually, a piece of gaffer tape (not duct tape, it will leave residue)
might hold it temporarily.



John Navas 02-05-2008 07:19 PM

Re: Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome
 
On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 20:15:06 +0930, jmc
<NOnewsgroupsSPAM@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> wrote in
<60qt1kF1s5srfU1@mid.individual.net>:

>Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
>beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
>the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep.
>
>I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
>most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
>had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:
>
>What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
>carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?


Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (and several others)

Ray Paseur 02-06-2008 01:26 AM

Re: Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome
 
>>
>>What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
>>carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

>
> Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.
>


This is a common occurrence with the lenses that change length as they zoom
or change focus. I've seen the behavior in high quality lenses from both
Nikon and Canon. You can choose prime lenses, but that defeats the
convenience of zoom. Over time I've developed the habit of zooming back to
short, then out to my desired point. It takes a second, but it does the
trick. ~Ray

John Navas 02-06-2008 01:34 AM

Re: Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome
 
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 01:26:31 GMT, Ray Paseur
<Ray.Paseur@MightUseGMail.com> wrote in
<b18qj.26142$E01.23021@newsfe22.lga>:

>>>What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
>>>carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

>>
>> Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.

>
>This is a common occurrence with the lenses that change length as they zoom
>or change focus. I've seen the behavior in high quality lenses from both
>Nikon and Canon. You can choose prime lenses, but that defeats the
>convenience of zoom. Over time I've developed the habit of zooming back to
>short, then out to my desired point. It takes a second, but it does the
>trick. ~Ray


To be clear, I was really suggesting two different alternatives.

1. If creep _isn't_ normal for the lens, get if fixed under warranty if
possible, or consider replacing it, as in the next item.

2. If creep _is_ normal for the lens, consider replacing it with a
different make/model lens that doesn't creek.

Or learn to live with it, as Ray has suggested.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (and several others)

Frank ess 02-06-2008 04:14 AM

Re: Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome
 


Ray Paseur wrote:
>>> What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
>>> carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

>>
>> Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.
>>

>
> This is a common occurrence with the lenses that change length as
> they zoom or change focus. I've seen the behavior in high quality
> lenses from both Nikon and Canon. You can choose prime lenses, but
> that defeats the convenience of zoom. Over time I've developed the
> habit of zooming back to short, then out to my desired point. It
> takes a second, but it does the trick. ~Ray


I have one lens with a switch that keeps it at the short end. Trouble
is, one more step between carrying and shooting. It does work.
(Canon 70-300 DO IS, a compact, versatile piece with few drawbacks,
other than declining sharpness beyond 200mm, and kinda-small maximum
aperture)


jmc 02-06-2008 11:30 AM

Re: Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome
 
Suddenly, without warning, Frank ess exclaimed (2/6/2008 1:44 PM):
>
>
> Ray Paseur wrote:
>>>> What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
>>>> carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?
>>>
>>> Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.
>>>

>>
>> This is a common occurrence with the lenses that change length as
>> they zoom or change focus. I've seen the behavior in high quality
>> lenses from both Nikon and Canon. You can choose prime lenses, but
>> that defeats the convenience of zoom. Over time I've developed the
>> habit of zooming back to short, then out to my desired point. It
>> takes a second, but it does the trick. ~Ray

>
> I have one lens with a switch that keeps it at the short end. Trouble
> is, one more step between carrying and shooting. It does work.
> (Canon 70-300 DO IS, a compact, versatile piece with few drawbacks,
> other than declining sharpness beyond 200mm, and kinda-small maximum
> aperture)


I have that lens too, and note the same disadvantages as you do. The
short lens length is better for me though, I'm a small person with small
hands, and longer zooms are problematic for me.

The one with creep is a Canon as well. It's a great lens, aside from
the creep.

jmc


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.