Velocity Reviews

-   -   Link to files on the internet. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t589596-link-to-files-on-the-internet.html)

JustMe 02-05-2008 08:54 AM

Link to files on the internet.

Having a problem linking to files located on the internet. It seems
Windows can only see files located on peripherals attached to the PC
or shared over the network. I'd like to be able to "browse" to a file
located on the internet. Is there some way to do that?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 02-05-2008 10:40 AM

Re: Link to files on the internet.

JustMe wrote:

> Having a problem linking to files located on the internet. It seems
> Windows can only see files located on peripherals attached to the PC
> or shared over the network. I'd like to be able to "browse" to a file
> located on the internet. Is there some way to do that?

You are posting from a U.S. Navy computer?

Ask your commanding officer.

That said, enter the file name's URL in your browser's location bar.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

JustMe 02-05-2008 10:27 PM

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote in message
> JustMe wrote:
>
>> Having a problem linking to files located on the internet. It seems
>> Windows can only see files located on peripherals attached to the PC
>> or shared over the network. I'd like to be able to "browse" to a file
>> located on the internet. Is there some way to do that?

> You are posting from a U.S. Navy computer?

Yes, we're allowed to do that as long as it is work related or off the
clock.

> Ask your commanding officer.

Wadda putz!

> That said, enter the file name's URL in your browser's location bar.

No kidding, now why didn't I think of that? How ever do you think I got
here?

I was talking about in the Windows File Chooser.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 02-05-2008 10:54 PM

JustMe wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> JustMe wrote:
>>> Having a problem linking to files located on the internet. It seems
>>> Windows can only see files located on peripherals attached to the
>>> PC or shared over the network. I'd like to be able to "browse" to a
>>> file located on the internet. Is there some way to do that?

>> You are posting from a U.S. Navy computer?

> Yes, we're allowed to do that as long as it is work related or off
> the clock.

Very well. Carry on, seaman.

>> Ask your commanding officer.

> Wadda putz!

If your C.O. is a putz, request a transfer!

>> That said, enter the file name's URL in your browser's location bar.

> No kidding, now why didn't I think of that? How ever do you think I
> got here?

I don't know for sure, but most likely you subscribed to this Usenet
newsgroup with your news reading client:

> I was talking about in the Windows File Chooser.

Windows File Chooser? Did you mention that in your original post?

What is it? Must be the name of an application as you wrote the words
with all capital letters. Google produces
"Results 1 - 10 of about 779 for "Windows File Chooser""
but none use all capital letters.

For example, near the bottom of this page,
http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/systems/html/601/node4.html
there are words that say, "This shows an Microsoft Windows File chooser"
and they show a picture of the "Save [File] As:" dialog box. Is that the
"chooser" you mean? If so, I have never seen it be able to access a file
on the Web.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 02-06-2008 12:09 AM

JustMe <7btq2ag02@sneakemail.com> wrote:

>Having a problem linking to files located on the internet. It seems
>Windows can only see files located on peripherals attached to the PC
>or shared over the network. I'd like to be able to "browse" to a file
>located on the internet. Is there some way to do that?

Not sure what you mean. but this link
http://www.exploseek.com/ will find music in open indexes (unsecured
directories).

--

Oldie but a goodie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNdFQF0LMu0

Ben Myers 02-06-2008 09:33 AM

"JustMe" <7btq2ag02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message news:29ca397c-e5ab-42ea-9c95-e9c5a958e870@1g2000hsl.googlegroups.com...
> Having a problem linking to files located on the internet. It seems
> Windows can only see files located on peripherals attached to the PC
> or shared over the network. I'd like to be able to "browse" to a file
> located on the internet. Is there some way to do that?

See if this is what you are after.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...er+protocol%22

Ben

JustMe 02-06-2008 10:14 PM

Re: Link to files on the internet.

Naah... that's FTP. Looking for info on the Windows File Chooser and how to
get around it's limitations. It's the window that opens up every time you
try to point to a file in some windows application. It says File Chooser on
the TitleBar.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 02-06-2008 10:23 PM

JustMe wrote:

> Naah... that's FTP. Looking for info on the Windows File Chooser and
> how to get around it's limitations. It's the window that opens up
> every time you try to point to a file in some windows application. It
> says File Chooser on the TitleBar.

Maybe it is an internal part of "some windows application."

What is the application?

--
-bts

JustMe 02-06-2008 10:38 PM

Re: Link to files on the internet.

No, that's FTP Her's a picture of it:
http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/436...4150941_rs.jpg

You can see it in action for your self. Go here:
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/

Click on any of the Browse buttons and ChooseFile window opens. You can only
browse to local devices and network shares. If I wanted to point to a file
on the web, I can't. Want to know if anyone knows how to get around that
limitation.

JustMe 02-06-2008 10:45 PM

Re: Link to files on the internet.

No, that's FTP looking for info on Windows ChooseFile feature.

Here's a picture of it:
http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/436...4150941_rs.jpg

You can see it in action by going here:
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/

Click on "Browse"
Choose File window opens
You can only browse to local devices and network shares. You cannot point to
anything on the web. I'm looking for a workaround.