Velocity Reviews

-   -   Reporting Spam (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t589493-reporting-spam.html)

Queenie 02-04-2008 08:01 PM

Reporting Spam

How would I go about report spam e-mail and to whom do I report it? Thank
you in advance for your help.

Bucky Breeder 02-04-2008 08:28 PM

Re: Reporting Spam

"Queenie" <RoyalPalace@TheThroneroom.com> wrote in

> How would I go about report spam e-mail
> and to whom do I report it?
> Thank you in advance for your help.

There's probably several places,
but this looks like a good one:

http://www.spam.com/

--

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2uorvy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTV8Cl-8JMQ&NR=1

*Less* 02-04-2008 08:35 PM

Re: Reporting Spam

"Queenie" <RoyalPalace@TheThroneroom.com> wrote in message
> How would I go about report spam e-mail and to whom do I report it? Thank
> you in advance for your help.

Try here: http://tinyurl.com/2xjs4m
Good Luck
*Less*

Mike Easter 02-04-2008 08:36 PM

Re: Reporting Spam

Queenie wrote:
> How would I go about report spam e-mail and to whom do I report it?
> Thank you in advance for your help.

The simplest way for the inexperienced spam handler to report spam is to
become a (free) spamcop reporter.

Philosophically, there are some important steps before the step of
reporting spam. The most important 2 steps are to pledge to never aid
or profit a spammer/spamsupporter and to handle your mail/inbox safely,
securely, and conveniently.

Your newsagent is OE Outlook Express. If that is your mailuser agent as
well, it is likely that you need to take some actions to aid you in
handling your mail safely and securely and to not aid spam, because OE
is 'defective' in terms of mailhandling and it has almost no ability to
keep spam out of your inbox. So, the first thing you need to do is help
OE to put all of your spam into a Junk folder so that you don't have to
read spamsubjects and spamfroms and so that you don't have to handle
spam with your goodmail.

Once you've incorporated a spam diverting system such as SpamPal (free)
to aid your OE in sorting all of the spam into a Junk folder, you can
register to be a spamcop reporter, configure your mailhost with spamcop,
and start feeding the spam from your Junk folder into the spamcop
system. When you use SP SpamPal as part of your filtering system and SP
uses the SCbl SpamCop blocklist as part of its spamfiltering DNSbl
blocklisting system, then you and your spam handling are aiding your
filter in filtering your spam for you. There is a positive feedback for
spam reporting.

There is plenty of support for those who are interested in spam and mail
management in such places as the spamcop newsgroups, the spamcop forum
and webpages, and some newsgroups such as alt.spam and
news.admin.net-abuse.email.

^1 http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml Register for the Free
Reporting Service - SpamCop parses reported email, sending warning
information to the internet service provider responsible for hosting the
services used by the spammer (web sites and email sending sites).
SpamCop also uses the information to generate SpamCop's free blocking
list.

^2 http://spampal.org/ SpamPal is a mail classification program that
can help separate your spam from the mail you really want to read. --
What do I need to use SpamPal? -- A standard email program such as
Outlook, Outlook Express or Eudora.

--
Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 02-04-2008 08:42 PM

Re: Reporting Spam

Queenie wrote:

> How would I go about report spam e-mail and to whom do I report it?
> Thank you in advance for your help.

Do you have their spam filter turned on?
http://www.optimum.net/Email

Free accounts:
http://www.spamcop.net/

Now ... if you don't know how to read email headers, the above is about
all you can do.

Just delete it.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

Blinky the Shark 02-04-2008 09:10 PM

Re: Reporting Spam

Queenie wrote:

> How would I go about report spam e-mail and to whom do I report it? Thank
> you in advance for your help.

You would go here.

http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml

Then you would paste the entire spam email into the form provided and
click "Process Spam". Then you would wait for SpamCop to analyze it, then
you would click the button to have SpamCop report it.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 02-04-2008 09:31 PM

Re: Reporting Spam

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Queenie wrote:
>
>> How would I go about report spam e-mail and to whom do I report it?
>> Thank you in advance for your help.

> You would go here.
>
> http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml
>
> Then you would paste the entire spam email

including the full *headers*,

> into the form provided and click "Process Spam". Then you would wait
> for SpamCop to analyze it, then you would click the button to have
> SpamCop report it.

Just in case Queenie doesn't understand. :-)

All this said, it gets more and more pointless to try and 'report' it
these days, it seems. I also go through the source and remove all
personal identifiers from the spam before sending it to spamcop. No
point in getting on the bad side of a spammer for reporting you. He may
decide to flood you.

--
-bts
-my car is powered by Microsoft Sync...

Blinky the Shark 02-04-2008 09:43 PM

Re: Reporting Spam

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Queenie wrote:
>>
>>> How would I go about report spam e-mail and to whom do I report it?
>>> Thank you in advance for your help.

>> You would go here.
>>
>> http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml
>>
>> Then you would paste the entire spam email

> including the full *headers*,

Yeah. I did say *full*, but I didn't newbie-proof that; so thanks.

Mike Easter 02-04-2008 09:47 PM

Re: Reporting Spam

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> All this said, it gets more and more pointless to try and 'report' it
> these days, it seems.

One important part of the reporting is the counting of the spamsource
toward the SCbl. That leads to responsible server admin behavior when
the source is an output server, such as the occasional occurrence of
abusive misdirected backscatter. That also aids the dynamic and
'frisky' SCbl being a valuable contributor to the blocklist based
armamentarium of those who use blocklists as part of the client or
server based filtering strategies. Feeding the SCbl is a very good
thing.

> I also go through the source and remove all
> personal identifiers from the spam before sending it to spamcop.

'We' (tinw) advise spamcop reporters to be careful and not break any
spamcop rules about material changes to spam prior to submission. There
is existent standard SC mungeing to reduce the chances of feeding back
reporter identification information, but the rest of that is a long
story.

> No
> point in getting on the bad side of a spammer for reporting you. He
> may decide to flood you.

The problem area is spamvertiser providers, whose providers are notified
based on SC's deobfuscation and resolution of the spamvertised link. It
is extremely common that such spamvertiser providers are in cahoots with
their client the spamvertiser. There are many of 'us' (tinu) who feel
that notifying spamvertiser providers is generally a bad idea, because
the spamvertiser IPs don't contribute to the SCbl anyway.

It is much much much more efficient to be a quick reporter and not
report spamvertiser links at all. In that circumstance you are just
notifying the provider for the spamsource. Spamsource providers are not
in cahoots with anybody. They may not be taking actions against their
proxified users because it is too much trouble, but it would be very
unusual for the source provider to be a badguy.

--
Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 02-04-2008 10:54 PM

Re: Reporting Spam

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>> Then you would paste the entire spam email

>> including the full *headers*,

> Yeah. I did say *full*, but I didn't newbie-proof that; so thanks.

Friend: "Hey Beau, can you tell me where this email came from?"
Beau: "Sure, send me a copy of the full headers."
Friend: "Huh? The what?"