Velocity Reviews

-   -   Adding a BGP advertisement (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t588592-adding-a-bgp-advertisement.html)

essenz 01-31-2008 04:40 PM

Adding a BGP advertisement

This may seem like a trivial question, but the last time I tried it,
it didn't work.

I only have a small window to test, so wanted to see if I am doing
everything correctly.

I have two routers, each with a separate /22 IP range on them being
advertised out.

One router will be shutdown in the next few weeks, so I am going to
move that /22. They way I am moving it is to move each /24 by itself
over to the new router.

Global routing will go to the new router since the /24 advertisement
over there is more specific.

So all I have to do is add the /24 advertisement on the new router.

I tried this last night, but it didn't seem to take.

Basically, I went into my "router bgp XYZ" config, and added the line:

network A.B.C.D mask 255.255.255.0

Then I did:

clear ip bgp X.X.X.X soft (where X.X.X.X is my upstream neighbor)

After doing that, I couldn't verify that the /24 was being advertised:

sh ip bgp neighbors X.X.X.X advertised-routes

And it only showed my existing /22, not the new /24 I just added.

I called the carrier and confirmed that they will allow the /24
advertisement.

Any ideas?

Trendkill 01-31-2008 04:46 PM

Re: Adding a BGP advertisement

On Jan 31, 11:40 am, essenz <j...@essenz.com> wrote:
> This may seem like a trivial question, but the last time I tried it,
> it didn't work.
>
> I only have a small window to test, so wanted to see if I am doing
> everything correctly.
>
> I have two routers, each with a separate /22 IP range on them being
> advertised out.
>
> One router will be shutdown in the next few weeks, so I am going to
> move that /22. They way I am moving it is to move each /24 by itself
> over to the new router.
>
> Global routing will go to the new router since the /24 advertisement
> over there is more specific.
>
> So all I have to do is add the /24 advertisement on the new router.
>
> I tried this last night, but it didn't seem to take.
>
> Basically, I went into my "router bgp XYZ" config, and added the line:
>
> network A.B.C.D mask 255.255.255.0
>
> Then I did:
>
> clear ip bgp X.X.X.X soft (where X.X.X.X is my upstream neighbor)
>
> After doing that, I couldn't verify that the /24 was being advertised:
>
> sh ip bgp neighbors X.X.X.X advertised-routes
>
> And it only showed my existing /22, not the new /24 I just added.
>
> I called the carrier and confirmed that they will allow the /24
> advertisement.
>
> Any ideas?

Please post your entire bgp config, and any relevant route-maps.

essenz 01-31-2008 04:54 PM

On Jan 31, 11:46 am, Trendkill <jpma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 11:40 am, essenz <j...@essenz.com> wrote:
>

> > This may seem like a trivial question, but the last time I tried it,
> > it didn't work.

> > I only have a small window to test, so wanted to see if I am doing
> > everything correctly.

> > I have two routers, each with a separate /22 IP range on them being
> > advertised out.

> > One router will be shutdown in the next few weeks, so I am going to
> > move that /22. They way I am moving it is to move each /24 by itself
> > over to the new router.

> > Global routing will go to the new router since the /24 advertisement
> > over there is more specific.

> > So all I have to do is add the /24 advertisement on the new router.

> > I tried this last night, but it didn't seem to take.

> > Basically, I went into my "router bgp XYZ" config, and added the line:

> > network A.B.C.D mask 255.255.255.0

> > Then I did:

> > clear ip bgp X.X.X.X soft (where X.X.X.X is my upstream neighbor)

> > After doing that, I couldn't verify that the /24 was being advertised:

> > sh ip bgp neighbors X.X.X.X advertised-routes

> > And it only showed my existing /22, not the new /24 I just added.

> > I called the carrier and confirmed that they will allow the /24
> > advertisement.

> > Any ideas?

> Please post your entire bgp config, and any relevant route-maps.

I think I figured it out. I forget to add a null route for that /24 -
so thats why it wasn't being advertised out.

Trendkill 01-31-2008 04:57 PM

On Jan 31, 11:54 am, essenz <j...@essenz.com> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 11:46 am, Trendkill <jpma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 31, 11:40 am, essenz <j...@essenz.com> wrote:

> > > This may seem like a trivial question, but the last time I tried it,
> > > it didn't work.

> > > I only have a small window to test, so wanted to see if I am doing
> > > everything correctly.

> > > I have two routers, each with a separate /22 IP range on them being
> > > advertised out.

> > > One router will be shutdown in the next few weeks, so I am going to
> > > move that /22. They way I am moving it is to move each /24 by itself
> > > over to the new router.

> > > Global routing will go to the new router since the /24 advertisement
> > > over there is more specific.

> > > So all I have to do is add the /24 advertisement on the new router.

> > > I tried this last night, but it didn't seem to take.

> > > Basically, I went into my "router bgp XYZ" config, and added the line:

> > > network A.B.C.D mask 255.255.255.0

> > > Then I did:

> > > clear ip bgp X.X.X.X soft (where X.X.X.X is my upstream neighbor)

> > > After doing that, I couldn't verify that the /24 was being advertised:

> > > sh ip bgp neighbors X.X.X.X advertised-routes

> > > And it only showed my existing /22, not the new /24 I just added.

> > > I called the carrier and confirmed that they will allow the /24
> > > advertisement.

> > > Any ideas?

> > Please post your entire bgp config, and any relevant route-maps.

> I think I figured it out. I forget to add a null route for that /24 -
> so thats why it wasn't being advertised out.

You shouldn't need that if the /24 is in the routers IGP (ie ospf,
eigrp, rip). Also depends if synchronization is on or not.