Velocity Reviews

-   -   Memory cards...? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t588440-memory-cards.html)

elliot 01-31-2008 01:44 AM

Memory cards...?

My daughter gave me her 8 year old digital camera a Canon powershot S20
with a memory card..FC16M..and I want to buy another memory card...that
would allow me to take more pictures.

ray 01-31-2008 01:55 AM

Re: Memory cards...?

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:44:14 -0500, elliot wrote:

> My daughter gave me her 8 year old digital camera a Canon powershot S20
> with a memory card..FC16M..and I want to buy another memory card...that
> would allow me to take more pictures.

OK - so what's stopping you? BTW - did you mean CF instead of FC? CF is
Compact Flash - probably an 8mb card - you can now get a 1gb CF card for
around $10-15.

Allodoxaphobia 01-31-2008 02:26 AM

Re: Memory cards...?

On 31 Jan 2008 01:55:45 GMT, ray wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:44:14 -0500, elliot wrote:
>
>> My daughter gave me her 8 year old digital camera a Canon powershot S20
>> with a memory card..FC16M..and I want to buy another memory card...that
>> would allow me to take more pictures.

> OK - so what's stopping you? BTW - did you mean CF instead of FC? CF is
> Compact Flash - probably an 8mb card - you can now get a 1gb CF card for
> around $10-15.

But, I wouldn't go any higher than 1GB on a camera _that_ old. I have
several cameras a l m o s t that old and one or two of'em go kah-kah
with even a 2GB card.

Borrow one -- try it first, before commiting yourself to a 'large'
purchase.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: <http://jonz.net/ng.htm>

Ron Hunter 01-31-2008 02:32 AM

Re: Memory cards...?

elliot wrote:
> My daughter gave me her 8 year old digital camera a Canon powershot S20
> with a memory card..FC16M..and I want to buy another memory card...that
> would allow me to take more pictures.

The camera uses Compact Flash cards, which are readily available in
sizes up to 32GB. I suspect that a 1GB card would hold all the pictures
you will probably ever take with it, at ONCE. Should cost less than $10.
Enjoy!

ray 01-31-2008 06:54 AM

Re: Memory cards...?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:26:32 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2008 01:55:45 GMT, ray wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:44:14 -0500, elliot wrote:
>>
>>> My daughter gave me her 8 year old digital camera a Canon powershot
>>> S20 with a memory card..FC16M..and I want to buy another memory
>>> card...that would allow me to take more pictures.

>> OK - so what's stopping you? BTW - did you mean CF instead of FC? CF is
>> Compact Flash - probably an 8mb card - you can now get a 1gb CF card
>> for around $10-15.

> But, I wouldn't go any higher than 1GB on a camera _that_ old. I have
> several cameras a l m o s t that old and one or two of'em go kah-kah
> with even a 2GB card.

I'm somewhat surprised that 1gb works and 2gb doesn't. They are both
generally formatted fat16.

elliot 01-31-2008 02:57 PM

Re: Memory cards...?

I think part of the problem is understanding compatability of the many
memory type cards I a see in the stores..and concern about buying and
not being able to use...

Thank you all for the advice...I did find one thought a bit
funny..."Borrow one"...you would be surprised at my age, 73 how few
friends or people I know who who even take pictures much less own a
digitial camera...but Im sure there are quite a few older camera buffs
around...simply not in my circle..

Allodoxaphobia 01-31-2008 06:24 PM

Re: Memory cards...?

On 31 Jan 2008 06:54:59 GMT, ray wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:26:32 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

>>> OK - so what's stopping you? BTW - did you mean CF instead of FC? CF is
>>> Compact Flash - probably an 8mb card - you can now get a 1gb CF card
>>> for around $10-15.

>> But, I wouldn't go any higher than 1GB on a camera _that_ old. I have
>> several cameras a l m o s t that old and one or two of'em go kah-kah
>> with even a 2GB card.

> I'm somewhat surprised that 1gb works and 2gb doesn't. They are both
> generally formatted fat16.

I'm not -- surprised, that is.

I am an old, Old, OLDE Mainframe _Assembler_ Programmer. The code in
the on-board logic probably cut corners: using 16-bit counters for
something where 32-bit counters are (now) more appropriate; ignoring
OVERFLOW because (when the code was written) it "can't happen"; etc., usw.

Remember Y2K? Same idiotic programming technique: using a 2-byte field
for the year .... because the code couldn't possibly still be in use
when the year 2000 came around.

So, back when a 64MB CF card was the biggest and the cameras were
shipping with 8MB cards, guess what played a part in the "design process"?

Jonesy

ray 01-31-2008 07:22 PM

Re: Memory cards...?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:24:12 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2008 06:54:59 GMT, ray wrote:

>>> But, I wouldn't go any higher than 1GB on a camera _that_ old. I have
>>> several cameras a l m o s t that old and one or two of'em go kah-kah
>>> with even a 2GB card.

>> I'm somewhat surprised that 1gb works and 2gb doesn't. They are both
>> generally formatted fat16.

> I'm not -- surprised, that is.
>
> I am an old, Old, OLDE Mainframe _Assembler_ Programmer. The code in
> the on-board logic probably cut corners: using 16-bit counters for
> something where 32-bit counters are (now) more appropriate; ignoring
> OVERFLOW because (when the code was written) it "can't happen"; etc.,
> usw.

I've done my share of assembler programming - mostly Univac 1100 series
and PDP-11, though I've also dabbled in 6502 and Z80. It's usually
worthwhile doing things 'right'.

> Remember Y2K? Same idiotic programming technique: using a 2-byte field
> for the year .... because the code couldn't possibly still be in use
> when the year 2000 came around.

Idocy was not in using a 2-byte field, but in carrying it as characters
rather than numeric - after all 1 byte holds 0-511; 511 years from, say,
1900 is a long time.

> So, back when a 64MB CF card was the biggest and the cameras were
> shipping with 8MB cards, guess what played a part in the "design
> process"?

What? Stupidity? It rarely takes much more to get it right.

Ron Hunter 01-31-2008 09:56 PM

Re: Memory cards...?

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2008 06:54:59 GMT, ray wrote:

>>> But, I wouldn't go any higher than 1GB on a camera _that_ old. I have
>>> several cameras a l m o s t that old and one or two of'em go kah-kah
>>> with even a 2GB card.

>> I'm somewhat surprised that 1gb works and 2gb doesn't. They are both
>> generally formatted fat16.

> I'm not -- surprised, that is.
>
> I am an old, Old, OLDE Mainframe _Assembler_ Programmer. The code in
> the on-board logic probably cut corners: using 16-bit counters for
> something where 32-bit counters are (now) more appropriate; ignoring
> OVERFLOW because (when the code was written) it "can't happen"; etc., usw.
>
> Remember Y2K? Same idiotic programming technique: using a 2-byte field
> for the year .... because the code couldn't possibly still be in use
> when the year 2000 came around.
>
> So, back when a 64MB CF card was the biggest and the cameras were
> shipping with 8MB cards, guess what played a part in the "design process"?
>

> Jonesy

Some manufacturers also cut costs by putting fewer address lines on the
interface than the specifications would indicate. When the biggest
cards available were 64 meg, why include enough lines for 2 or 4GB? the
camera in question is said to support 340MG Microdrives. It is a 3.3mp
camera, and I suspect that a 1GB card would hold about 5000 pictures,
with average compression.

Nervous Nick 01-31-2008 11:23 PM

Re: Memory cards...?

On Jan 31, 12:24 pm, Allodoxaphobia <bit-buc...@config.com> wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2008 06:54:59 GMT, ray wrote:

<snip>
> I am an old, Old, OLDE Mainframe _Assembler_ Programmer. The code in
> the on-board logic probably cut corners: using 16-bit counters for
> something where 32-bit counters are (now) more appropriate; ignoring
> OVERFLOW because (when the code was written) it "can't happen"; etc., usw.

</snip>

Pshaw! You aint old, Sir.

I'm so old that when I was a young un, the term "core dump" meant when
the weed fell outta your reefer cause you didn't roll the durned thing
tight enough.

Now that's Olde.

--
YOP...