Velocity Reviews

-   -   Force Wireless Card users to use a Proxy Server (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t588081-force-wireless-card-users-to-use-a-proxy-server.html)

Correy 01-29-2008 03:57 PM

Force Wireless Card users to use a Proxy Server

Hello everyone,

I have a issue where users with a wireless card can access the internet
without going through our proxy server. I'm wondering if there is something
on the local clients (laptops) that I can do to setup something so that they
cannot connect to the internet without going through our proxy server? The
clients have Windows XP SP2 and use a Sprint Air Card. Any information
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Correy

Phillip Windell 01-29-2008 04:08 PM

Re: Force Wireless Card users to use a Proxy Server

"Wireless" means a lot of things.

The Sprint Air Card is *not* a "wireless nic". It is its own completely
independent Internet Cell Dialup Service.

They aren't simply not using your Proxy Server,...they flat out aren't using
the LAN at all to begin with. Their machines are effectively becomming
"duel homed". It is no different than if they were taking their old-style
built in Modems and plugging them into a phone jack and getting to the
Internet over a personal dialup account.

No, you can't do anything about it short of taking the cards away from them
when they enter the building and giving it back to them when they leave.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com