Velocity Reviews

-   -   Just Horsing Around (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t587877-just-horsing-around.html)

xikom03@yeah.net 01-28-2008 09:03 PM

Just Horsing Around

1. What is the fear of horses called?
A. Hippophobia
B. Riddiophobia
C. Sadlophobia
D. Equiphobia

A. Hippophobia
TBD: Hey, you know we dosn't make this stuff up, right?!?

2. Which is NOT a form of horse racing?
A. Flat racing
B. Harness racing
C. Steeplechasing
D. Hop-scotching

D. Hop-scotching
TBD: Did you know that horse racing may well be the oldest sport? By
the time humans began recording history it was already well
established. Does that mean that book making may really be the oldest
profession?

3. Which is NOT a breed of American saddle horse?
A. Tennessee Walker
B. Morgan
C. Quarter Horse
D. Kentucky Sprinter

D. Kentucky Sprinter
TBD: Although, it could be an unofficial breed!

4. The horse's single toe on each of its four feet is its most marked
anatomical characteristic and makes it a perissodactyl or odd-toed
ungulate. The horse shares this trait with which other animal?
A. Rhinoceros
B. Tapir
C. Elephant
D. Cow
E. A and B
F. C and D

E. A and B
TBD: Very curious, indeed.

5. Which is NOT one of the three classic American races that make up
the

http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Hum...929/25472.html

Adam 01-28-2008 09:16 PM

Re: Just Horsing Around

Anyone tried horse meat? I wouldn't mind trying it to be honest. Low in
fat, high in protein.

I'm being serious BTW, I think that horse meat would be a really good food.
I would order a horse steak in a restaurant.

George Kerby 01-28-2008 09:59 PM

Re: Just Horsing Around

On 1/28/08 3:16 PM, in article 3NednZS7zeO72wPanZ2dnUVZ8umdnZ2d@pipex.net,
"Adam" <me@privacy.com> wrote:

> Anyone tried horse meat? I wouldn't mind trying it to be honest. Low in
> fat, high in protein.
>
> I'm being serious BTW, I think that horse meat would be a really good food.
> I would order a horse steak in a restaurant.

And wind up in jail...

Horsemeat is ILLEGAL in Texas:

ยง 149.002. Sale or Possession of Horsemeat

A person commits an offense if:

(1) the person sells, offers for sale, or exhibits for sale horsemeat as
food for human consumption; or

(2) the person possesses horsemeat with the intent to sell the horsemeat as
food for human consumption.

http://www.equineprotectionnetwork.c...tion/txlaw.htm

George Kerby 01-28-2008 10:04 PM

Re: Just Horsing Around

Whoops! Thought I was in the "houston.eats" group.

However, most states in the US have made human consumption of horsemeat
illegal, while it is big in Europe, I understand.

Ali 01-28-2008 10:19 PM

Re: Just Horsing Around

Come on, in Texas it's legal for a chicken to have sex with you, but it's
illegal to reciprocate. Say no more.

I understand the roots behind not eating horse meat. Afterall, the horse
was, well, the workhorse/transport (and still is in a lot of countries and
continents). But now things are a bit different in more modern countries.

Strangely enough, modern countries will eat anything, but not horse meat.

George Kerby 01-28-2008 11:04 PM

Re: Just Horsing Around

On 1/28/08 4:19 PM, in article Ld-dnSnrV7pjyQPanZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@pipex.net,
"Ali" <me@privacy.com> wrote:

> Come on, in Texas it's legal for a chicken to have sex with you, but it's
> illegal to reciprocate. Say no more.

Spoken like one with personal experience. You choke that chicken often?

Jon Pope 01-28-2008 11:34 PM

Re: Just Horsing Around

That's what they said about McDonald's.

Ali 01-29-2008 06:30 PM

Re: Just Horsing Around

Only when I run out of horses.

Paul Bartram 01-30-2008 10:02 AM

Re: Just Horsing Around

"Ali" <me@privacy.com> wrote

> I understand the roots behind not eating horse meat. Afterall, the horse
> was, well, the workhorse/transport (and still is in a lot of countries and
> continents).

I just watched an old episode of 'The Bush Tucker Man', an ABC Australia
series that followed many of our greatest explorers. This one was about an
overland trip by Edmund Kennedy from the central Queensland coast to an
outpost on Cape York, through 'the vilest country' in 1848. The expedition
ended up eating most of their horses. I guess he wasn't the only explorer to
do so in order to survive...

Paul

John Passaneau 01-30-2008 02:45 PM

Re: Just Horsing Around

"Paul Bartram" <p.bartram ATOR NEAR mysoul.com.au> wrote in

> "Ali" <me@privacy.com> wrote
>
>> I understand the roots behind not eating horse meat. Afterall, the
>> horse was, well, the workhorse/transport (and still is in a lot of
>> countries and continents).

> I just watched an old episode of 'The Bush Tucker Man', an ABC
> Australia series that followed many of our greatest explorers. This
> one was about an overland trip by Edmund Kennedy from the central
> Queensland coast to an outpost on Cape York, through 'the vilest
> country' in 1848. The expedition ended up eating most of their horses.
> I guess he wasn't the only explorer to do so in order to survive...
>
> Paul

About 25 years ago, I spent 2 months working in Geneva Switzerland, right a
crossed the street from were I stayed way a butcher shop, called in my
hopeless French, butcher de Calvary, that sold only horse meat. They even
had a chart on the wall showing all the typical "cuts" just like you can
find in some US meat markets for cows. I was told that horse meat was
popular with the older population of Switzerland.

John Passaneau