Velocity Reviews

-   -   Digital camera to PC (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t587809-digital-camera-to-pc.html)

elliot 01-28-2008 03:47 PM

Digital camera to PC

I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
to my Dell PC with Vista..
I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
USB port available...any help appreciated..

Jim Townsend 01-28-2008 04:10 PM

Re: Digital camera to PC

elliot wrote:

> I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
> purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
> to my Dell PC with Vista..
> I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
> know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
> USB port available...any help appreciated..

The camera is a USB device. There should have been a USB cable
included with the camera when it was purchased.

If you have an 'Communication' option in the camera on screen menu
that allows you to switch the camera to 'PTP' mode, then the Camera
wizard in Vista will pick up the camera and allow you to download
images.

If not, then you'll either have to install Canon's proprietary drivers
or pick up a $10 dollar card reader. Vista automatically detects card
readers.

Actually, if you currently have no USB cable, you're probably better
off just buying a USB card reader instead....

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios 01-28-2008 04:21 PM

Re: Digital camera to PC

? "elliot" <ELLIOTx@webtv.net> ?????? ??? ??????
> I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
> purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
> to my Dell PC with Vista..
> I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
> know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
> USB port available...any help appreciated..

My sister has an old canon camera (P&S) that takes CF cards...They have lost
the original USB cable along with the software, so I didn't bother at all
with USB but got a 14 euros card reader.IIRC the camera(s) connect with a
mini USB or a micro USB, which is pretty much standard, usually the camera
appears as a removable drive, no idea if it's worth in your case or if you
should get a card reader, too.FWIW I bought my mother a new mobile phone
(the Nokia 1100;it cost 75 euros),because she always ended up with the old
phones of everybody...
HTH,

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

ray 01-28-2008 04:21 PM

Re: Digital camera to PC

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:47:44 -0500, elliot wrote:

> I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
> purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
> to my Dell PC with Vista..
> I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
> know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
> USB port available...any help appreciated..

Just make sure you get a USB cable with the correct connectors. The
computer end is not usually a problem, but the camera generally takes a
much smaller connector. You should be able to plug it in and copy. You
might want to consider a USB card reader instead - most cameras are USB 1
while card readers are generally USB 2 which is much faster - this also
saves the camera battery since you simply remove the card from the camera
and plug it into the reader to transfer - the card and reader should
mount automatically, allowing you to transfer.

Mr. Strat 01-28-2008 04:44 PM

Re: Digital camera to PC

In article <29522-479DF920-915@storefull-3338.bay.webtv.net>, elliot
<ELLIOTx@webtv.net> wrote:

> I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
> purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
> to my Dell PC with Vista..
> I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
> know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
> USB port available...any help appreciated..

Connecting any device to Vista can be an iffy situation.

Jürgen Exner 01-28-2008 05:02 PM

Re: Digital camera to PC

ELLIOTx@webtv.net (elliot) wrote:
>I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
>purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
>to my Dell PC with Vista..
>I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
>know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
>USB port available...any help appreciated..

According to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonS20/page2.asp this camera
uses CF memory cards. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get a memory card
reader. They cost less than 20$ US. Much easier and faster.

jue

Allen 01-28-2008 08:11 PM

Re: Digital camera to PC

Jürgen Exner wrote:
> ELLIOTx@webtv.net (elliot) wrote:
>> I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
>> purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
>> to my Dell PC with Vista..
>> I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
>> know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
>> USB port available...any help appreciated..

> According to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonS20/page2.asp this camera
> uses CF memory cards. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get a memory card
> reader. They cost less than 20$ US. Much easier and faster.
>
> jue

I bought mine for about $5 three years ago--an unbranded one (unless you
consider "Made in China" a brand). Occasionally I misplace it (a
character trait of mine) and have to download directly from the camera,
which I find is a nuisance. Vive la Card Readers!
Allen

Bob Williams 01-28-2008 08:43 PM

Re: Digital camera to PC

elliot wrote:
> I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
> purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
> to my Dell PC with Vista..
> I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
> know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
> USB port available...any help appreciated..

Do yourself a BIG favor.
Forget about cables and software programs for getting your images to
your computer.
Just buy a Card Reader.

Vista will recognize it instantly and install the necessary driver.
Then simply insert your CF card in the reader
Windows Explorer will download the images rapidly and flawlessly.
Bob Williams

elliot 01-28-2008 10:02 PM

Re: Digital camera to PC

to all of of you ...thank you..I am in the process of looking at a card
reader..I assume my Vista will have no problem re Drivers etc..not that
I know what that is..

my scanner has a built in card reader but I have toprint first to sacn
to the PC

Mr. Strat 01-28-2008 11:19 PM

Re: Digital camera to PC

In article <29522-479E50E5-961@storefull-3338.bay.webtv.net>, elliot
<ELLIOTx@webtv.net> wrote:

> to all of of you ...thank you..I am in the process of looking at a card
> reader..I assume my Vista will have no problem re Drivers etc..not that
> I know what that is..

I wouldn't "assume" that Vista will work with any specific piece of
hardware.