Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   DVD Video (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f40-dvd-video.html)
-   -   NPD: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t587218-npd-toshibas-new-marketing-campaign-is-proving-effective.html)

Phil 01-25-2008 03:53 PM

NPD: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"
 
NPD: Sky Isn't Falling for HD-DVD, Blu-ray Isn't Champ Yet

01/24/08

Sales data for HD-DVD and Blu-ray players and movies has been misconstrued
lately by various outlets, with reports implying that HD-DVD sales have
fallen at an amazing pace while Blu-ray sales have blasted through the roof.

Not so fast, says the NPD Group.

While select articles have implied that HD-DVD as a format is doomed and the
sky is falling for the format's supporters, the NPD Group this afternoon
reinforced that sales results from a single week do not necessarily indicate
a trend, and that the week in question had several intriguing variables that
have gone unreported.

The NPD Group attempted to quiet the storm of online scuttlebutt with the
following statement:

"As you may have seen, there are attempts being made to portray NPD's weekly
sales tracking figures for next generation DVD as a trend. We want to remind
you and make clear that it is not accurate to make long term assumptions
based on one week of sales -- a cautionary point that NPD has made as well.

"The facts are that during the week that is being singled out, both Blu-ray
disc players and software were being given away for free with the purchase
of 1080p TVs. It is also important to note that the instant rebate
promotions that had previously netted Toshiba's players' MSRPs to $199 and
$249 had actually ended on Jan. 5th -- causing an increase in HD DVD's MSRP
back to $299 and $399 during that same week. Since Toshiba's retail price
move on Jan. 13th to $149 / $199 -- Toshiba is seeing very positive sales
trends at retail. This reinforces the fact that price is a significant
driver of sales.

"Toshiba's HD DVD players represent a significant value to the consumer and
the marketing campaign that just began is proving effective."



Northern Deity 01-25-2008 04:13 PM

Re: NPD: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"
 
Phil wrote: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee


Bully for you, now **** off and watch a film instead of spamming about
em!

khee mao 01-25-2008 10:08 PM

Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"
 

"Phil" <iownu@paranoid.com> wrote in message
news:kCnmj.4904$4w.4823@pd7urf2no...


Toshiba, doing their best Holy Grail impression: "It's not 'quite' dead"



ZVR 01-26-2008 06:59 AM

Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"
 
> Toshiba, doing their best Holy Grail impression: "It's not 'quite' dead"

Beta-Ray fanboi, you know what? Being fully aware about Warner going blu and
all the "Beta-Ray has won!" FUD, I still got myself tonight an 1080p HD-A30
at Futureshop in Toronto, for $149 (Canadian). Beats the hell out of your
overpriced, crappy beta ray hardware at $399 or more!

Hopefully more people will awake to the fact that you can have a very good
upconverting DVD player, which can also play native HD material, for the
same amount as what a regular upconverting DVD player goes for, and then you
can take your overpriced BR crap and shove it up your ass!

See, I had a choice: pay $149 now for a good, finished product that may or
may not be around a year from now, or pay at least $399 for a buggy Beta-Ray
unit that I know for sure I'll have to replace with another <insert betaray
version here>, not long from now. I chose to spend the $149. But, you are
free to spend your hard earned cash on whatever piece of **** you like.



Big Daddy 01-26-2008 03:47 PM

Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"
 

"khee mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:fndmli$sem$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
>
> "Phil" <iownu@paranoid.com> wrote in message
> news:kCnmj.4904$4w.4823@pd7urf2no...
>
>
> Toshiba, doing their best Holy Grail impression: "It's not 'quite' dead"


LOL.

Blu-ray: "you've got no arms, you stupid bastard".
HD-DVD: "yes I have"
Blu-ray: "LOOK!!!"
HD-DVD: "it's just a flesh wound"



Robo-man 01-26-2008 06:28 PM

Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"
 

> See, I had a choice: pay $149 now for a good, finished product that may or
> may not be around a year from now,


May or may not be around a year from now???????????

Read this:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents


But if you like waisting your hard earned cash on dying technology.
Go ahead and knock yourself out.

At least you are helping out the economy.



T.B. 01-26-2008 10:56 PM

Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"
 
"ZVR" whined:

>> Toshiba, doing their best Holy Grail impression: "It's not 'quite' dead"

>
> Beta-Ray fanboi, you know what? Being fully aware about Warner going blu
> and all the "Beta-Ray has won!" FUD, I still got myself tonight an 1080p
> HD-A30 at Futureshop in Toronto, for $149 (Canadian). Beats the hell out
> of your overpriced, crappy beta ray hardware at $399 or more!
>
> Hopefully more people will awake to the fact that you can have a very good
> upconverting DVD player, which can also play native HD material, for the
> same amount as what a regular upconverting DVD player goes for, and then
> you can take your overpriced BR crap and shove it up your ass!
>
> See, I had a choice: pay $149 now for a good, finished product that may or
> may not be around a year from now, or pay at least $399 for a buggy
> Beta-Ray unit that I know for sure I'll have to replace with another
> <insert betaray version here>, not long from now. I chose to spend the
> $149. But, you are free to spend your hard earned cash on whatever piece
> of **** you like.


Nahhh, this guy doesn't have any emotional problems.

T.B.


khee mao 01-27-2008 10:10 PM

Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"
 

"ZVR" <no_spam_ever@me.net> wrote in message
news:479ada40$0$4979$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
> But, you are free to spend your hard earned cash on whatever piece of ****
> you like.
>
>

hey, thanks for allowing me to spend my hard earned cash on whatever piece
of **** I like! in fact, I bought an HD-DVD player over a year ago now, but
buying one today would be the pinnacle of retardation, retard. I mean
honestly, what exclusives does hd-dvd now have that are worth a ****? enjoy
your Casablanca, douche guzzler.


David Z 01-28-2008 12:46 AM

Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"
 
I want to live where you live. Blu-ray players cost $700 where I am.

"ZVR" <no_spam_ever@me.net> wrote in message
news:479ada40$0$4979$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
>> Toshiba, doing their best Holy Grail impression: "It's not 'quite' dead"

>
> Beta-Ray fanboi, you know what? Being fully aware about Warner going blu
> and all the "Beta-Ray has won!" FUD, I still got myself tonight an 1080p
> HD-A30 at Futureshop in Toronto, for $149 (Canadian). Beats the hell out
> of your overpriced, crappy beta ray hardware at $399 or more!
>
> Hopefully more people will awake to the fact that you can have a very good
> upconverting DVD player, which can also play native HD material, for the
> same amount as what a regular upconverting DVD player goes for, and then
> you can take your overpriced BR crap and shove it up your ass!
>
> See, I had a choice: pay $149 now for a good, finished product that may or
> may not be around a year from now, or pay at least $399 for a buggy
> Beta-Ray unit that I know for sure I'll have to replace with another
> <insert betaray version here>, not long from now. I chose to spend the
> $149. But, you are free to spend your hard earned cash on whatever piece
> of **** you like.
>
>


Tarkus 01-28-2008 01:00 AM

Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"
 
David Z wrote:
> I want to live where you live. Blu-ray players cost $700 where I am.


Civilization is your friend.

So is the Internet.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.