Velocity Reviews

-   -   Printing to NON inject printable CDs and DVDs (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t587100-printing-to-non-inject-printable-cds-and-dvds.html)

Rod Speed 01-25-2008 03:39 AM

Printing to NON inject printable CDs and DVDs

I want to be able to print to *NON* inkjet printable CDs and DVDs.

You can write on these fine with a Sharpie etc but when you use normal ink,
it takes a hell of a long time for the ink to dry enough so it doesnt smudge.

I just want to put a little bit of text on the CD or DVD, not full artwork etc obviously.

Has anyone seen anyone offering ink thats similar to whats in a Sharpie etc ?

Better if the ink is meant for an inkjet printer, because most printers that will
print on CDs and DVDs have a separate print head and since I dont want to
have to fart around flushing the heads after every print on a CD or DVD...

Rod Speed 01-25-2008 04:08 AM

Re: Printing to NON inject printable CDs and DVDs

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to be able to print to *NON* inkjet printable CDs and DVDs.

> You can write on these fine with a Sharpie etc but when you use normal ink, it takes a hell of a long time for the ink
> to dry enough so it doesnt smudge.
> I just want to put a little bit of text on the CD or DVD, not full artwork etc obviously.

> Has anyone seen anyone offering ink thats similar to whats in a Sharpie etc ?
> Better if the ink is meant for an inkjet printer, because most printers that will print on CDs and DVDs have a
> separate print head and since I dont want to have to fart around flushing the heads after every print on a CD or
> DVD...

Whoops, another brain fart. I want to do that in a Canon printer that takes BCI-6 and BCI-3 ink tanks

DanG 01-25-2008 04:11 AM

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to be able to print to *NON* inkjet printable CDs and DVDs.
>
> You can write on these fine with a Sharpie etc but when you use normal
> ink,
> it takes a hell of a long time for the ink to dry enough so it doesnt
> smudge.
>
> I just want to put a little bit of text on the CD or DVD, not full artwork
> etc obviously.
>
> Has anyone seen anyone offering ink thats similar to whats in a Sharpie
> etc ?
>
> Better if the ink is meant for an inkjet printer, because most printers
> that will
> print on CDs and DVDs have a separate print head and since I dont want to
> have to fart around flushing the heads after every print on a CD or DVD...

You cannot use an inkjet printer to print to non-inkjet media. And NO, they
don't use a separate head for discs.

What you want is available in any of the many available thermal printers and
ribbon printers.

Rod Speed 01-25-2008 05:30 AM

Re: Printing to NON inject printable CDs and DVDs

DanG <nospam@q.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>> I want to be able to print to *NON* inkjet printable CDs and DVDs.

>> You can write on these fine with a Sharpie etc but when you use normal ink,
>> it takes a hell of a long time for the ink to dry enough so it doesnt smudge.

>> I just want to put a little bit of text on the CD or DVD, not full artwork etc obviously.

>> Has anyone seen anyone offering ink thats similar to whats in a Sharpie etc ?

>> Better if the ink is meant for an inkjet printer, because most printers that will print on CDs and DVDs have a
>> separate print head and since I dont want to have to fart around flushing the heads after every print on a CD or
>> DVD...

> You cannot use an inkjet printer to print to non-inkjet media.

You can, actually, it just takes a long time for the ink to dry, like days.

> And NO, they don't use a separate head for discs.

Never said they did. I JUST said that the heads are separate from the ink tanks.

> What you want is available in any of the many available thermal printers and ribbon printers.

Sure, but I want to use normal cheap inkjet printers that can print on CDs and DVDs.

Rob. 01-25-2008 06:03 AM

Rod Speed wrote:
> DanG <nospam@q.com> wrote
>
>>Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>>I want to be able to print to *NON* inkjet printable CDs and DVDs.

>>>You can write on these fine with a Sharpie etc but when you use normal ink,
>>>it takes a hell of a long time for the ink to dry enough so it doesnt smudge.

>>>I just want to put a little bit of text on the CD or DVD, not full artwork etc obviously.

>>>Has anyone seen anyone offering ink thats similar to whats in a Sharpie etc ?

>>>Better if the ink is meant for an inkjet printer, because most printers that will print on CDs and DVDs have a
>>>separate print head and since I dont want to have to fart around flushing the heads after every print on a CD or
>>>DVD...

>>You cannot use an inkjet printer to print to non-inkjet media.

> You can, actually, it just takes a long time for the ink to dry, like days.
>

>>And NO, they don't use a separate head for discs.

> Never said they did. I JUST said that the heads are separate from the ink tanks.
>

>>What you want is available in any of the many available thermal printers and ribbon printers.

> Sure, but I want to use normal cheap inkjet printers that can print on CDs and DVDs.

I have not come across any solvent based inks for inkjet printers. I
would have thought, if available, would tend to dry up like the pens
left uncapped.

Printable CD's are much the same price now.

Sticky labels are too expensive and they end up stuffing the CD.

I use pens.

Richard Steinfeld 01-25-2008 06:12 AM

Rod Speed wrote:
> I want to be able to print to *NON* inkjet printable CDs and DVDs.
>
> You can write on these fine with a Sharpie etc but when you use normal ink,
> it takes a hell of a long time for the ink to dry enough so it doesnt smudge.
>
> I just want to put a little bit of text on the CD or DVD, not full artwork etc obviously.
>
> Has anyone seen anyone offering ink thats similar to whats in a Sharpie etc ?
>
> Better if the ink is meant for an inkjet printer, because most printers that will
> print on CDs and DVDs have a separate print head and since I dont want to
> have to fart around flushing the heads after every print on a CD or DVD...

If you want to use solvent ink such as the ink that's in Sharpie pens,
be prepared to pass a lot of gas because you're going to flush-fart five
times for every disk that you print on. Maybe if you use original
manufacturer ink for this, you will learn to break wind enjoyably: your
**** will be sweet and people will come from miles around to smell the
perfume of your flatulance.

Oh my god, I just saw the mess of cross-posting here. No matter -- out
it goes.

Richard

Rod Speed 01-25-2008 06:36 AM

Re: Printing to NON inject printable CDs and DVDs

Rob. <mesa@mine.com.> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> DanG <nospam@q.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> You cannot use an inkjet printer to print to non-inkjet media.

>> You can, actually, it just takes a long time for the ink to dry, like days.

>>> And NO, they don't use a separate head for discs.

>> Never said they did. I JUST said that the heads are separate from the ink tanks.

>>> What you want is available in any of the many available thermal printers and ribbon printers.

>> Sure, but I want to use normal cheap inkjet printers that can print on CDs and DVDs.

> I have not come across any solvent based inks for inkjet printers. I would have thought, if available, would tend to
> dry up like the pens left uncapped.

Yeah, thats essentially why I asked the original question, it wasnt clear if its actually feasible.

Some inkjet printers do basically cap the print head when its not in use,
but that tends to be the printers that have the head integrated into the tank
and those arent usually the ones that can print on CDs and DVDs directly.

> Printable CD's are much the same price now.

Not necessarily if you are buying the best priced blanks that
you can find from whats on special at places like Woolys etc.

> Sticky labels are too expensive and they end up stuffing the CD.

Yeah, I've never used those.

> I use pens.

So do I, but I would prefer to be able to print on them, like I said.

Rod Speed 01-25-2008 06:38 AM

Richard Steinfeld <rgsteinBUTREMOVETHIS@sonicANDTHISTOO.net> wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> I want to be able to print to *NON* inkjet printable CDs and DVDs.
>>
>> You can write on these fine with a Sharpie etc but when you use
>> normal ink, it takes a hell of a long time for the ink to dry enough so it
>> doesnt smudge. I just want to put a little bit of text on the CD or DVD, not full
>> artwork etc obviously. Has anyone seen anyone offering ink thats similar to whats in a
>> Sharpie etc ? Better if the ink is meant for an inkjet printer, because most
>> printers that will print on CDs and DVDs have a separate print head and since I dont
>> want to have to fart around flushing the heads after every print on a CD or
>> DVD...

> If you want to use solvent ink such as the ink that's in Sharpie pens,
> be prepared to pass a lot of gas because you're going to flush-fart
> five times for every disk that you print on. Maybe if you use original
> manufacturer ink for this, you will learn to break wind enjoyably:
> your **** will be sweet and people will come from miles around to
> smell the perfume of your flatulance.

> Oh my god, I just saw the mess of cross-posting here.

There was a good reason for that cross posting.

> No matter -- out it goes.

No it didnt.

Alan Rutlidge 01-25-2008 06:44 AM

Re: Printing to NON inject printable CDs and DVDs

"Richard Steinfeld" <rgsteinBUTREMOVETHIS@sonicANDTHISTOO.net> wrote in
message news:13piv9djjn74142@corp.supernews.com...
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> I want to be able to print to *NON* inkjet printable CDs and DVDs.
>>
>> You can write on these fine with a Sharpie etc but when you use normal
>> ink,
>> it takes a hell of a long time for the ink to dry enough so it doesnt
>> smudge.
>>
>> I just want to put a little bit of text on the CD or DVD, not full
>> artwork etc obviously.
>>
>> Has anyone seen anyone offering ink thats similar to whats in a Sharpie
>> etc ?
>>
>> Better if the ink is meant for an inkjet printer, because most printers
>> that will
>> print on CDs and DVDs have a separate print head and since I dont want to
>> have to fart around flushing the heads after every print on a CD or
>> DVD...

> If you want to use solvent ink such as the ink that's in Sharpie pens, be
> prepared to pass a lot of gas because you're going to flush-fart five
> times for every disk that you print on. Maybe if you use original
> manufacturer ink for this, you will learn to break wind enjoyably: your
> **** will be sweet and people will come from miles around to smell the
> perfume of your flatulance.
>
> Oh my god, I just saw the mess of cross-posting here. No matter -- out it
> goes.
>
> Richard

LOL. Good one Richard.
Great to read a bit of humour here from time to time. :-)

Just as easy to write neatly using a standard CD-R pen.
They come in about 6 different colours AFAIK as well as different tip
thicknesses.
Officeworks stocked them the last time I looked.

Cheers,
Alan

Terryc 01-25-2008 06:53 AM

Rod Speed wrote:
> I want to be able to print to *NON* inkjet printable CDs and DVDs.

The old stick on label?