Velocity Reviews

-   -   reinstalled XP, monitor problem now (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t587097-reinstalled-xp-monitor-problem-now.html)

CL B 01-25-2008 03:24 AM

reinstalled XP, monitor problem now

I reinstalled XP with no issues except that my monitor setting was large,
not sure but 600x800 maybe. I have a 19" monitor and usually have it set
small. Well it wouldn't let me slide the settings smaller and I did some
setting change in the adapter and now you can see on the monitor when it
first boots up (XP screen) but once MS loads and when it is done booting up,
you can't see anything on the screen anymore.

Okay, so I royally screwed something up. What can I do to at least see the
monitor/screen again? Then I'll worry about the sizing issue later.

Neil Green 01-25-2008 03:45 AM

Re: reinstalled XP, monitor problem now

"CL B" <phurrballs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I reinstalled XP with no issues except that my
>monitor setting was large,
> not sure but 600x800 maybe. I have a 19" monitor
> and usually have it set
> small. Well it wouldn't let me slide the settings
> smaller and I did some
> setting change in the adapter and now you can see on
> the monitor when it
> first boots up (XP screen) but once MS loads and
> when it is done booting up,
> you can't see anything on the screen anymore.
>
> Okay, so I royally screwed something up. What can
> I do to at least see the
> monitor/screen again? Then I'll worry about the
> sizing issue later.

Boot XP in safe mode (press F8 when it's starting up)
and install the correct drivers for the video card.

CL B 01-25-2008 05:01 AM

Re: reinstalled XP, monitor problem now

"Neil Green" <nrgreenNOT@optusnet.com.au> wrote
> Boot XP in safe mode (press F8 when it's starting up)
> and install the correct drivers for the video card.

where am I supposed to get the correct drivers for the video card? I
cannot be on the computer, see anything on the monitor, to go to any site to
download any driver, etc.

Paul 01-25-2008 12:48 PM

CL B wrote:
> "Neil Green" <nrgreenNOT@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>> Boot XP in safe mode (press F8 when it's starting up)
>> and install the correct drivers for the video card.

> where am I supposed to get the correct drivers for the video card? I
> cannot be on the computer, see anything on the monitor, to go to any site to
> download any driver, etc.

How about "Safe Mode with Networking" ? You should be able to
surf to a video card driver site that way. Can you see the
screen here, after pressing F8 ?

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/safemode.html

Paul

- Bobb - 01-25-2008 01:11 PM

> "Neil Green" <nrgreenNOT@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>> Boot XP in safe mode (press F8 when it's starting up)
>> and install the correct drivers for the video card.

> where am I supposed to get the correct drivers for the video card? I
> cannot be on the computer, see anything on the monitor, to go to any
> site to
> download any driver, etc.
>

> "where am I supposed to get the correct drivers for the video card? "

F8 uses built in - basic video - so should work. Try it
If not and the video card came with the system - go to THAT website -
dell.com, hp.com etc.
You're reading THIS somehow - from "THERE" - fetch your driver and save to
... a floppy/cd/usb drive.

sandy58 01-25-2008 05:31 PM

On Jan 25, 5:01 am, "CL B" <phurrba...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Neil Green" <nrgreen...@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>
> > Boot XP in safe mode (press F8 when it's starting up)
> > and install the correct drivers for the video card.

> where am I supposed to get the correct drivers for the video card? I
> cannot be on the computer, see anything on the monitor, to go to any site to
> download any driver, etc.

So how are you typing this stuff? Give the name etc of graphics/vid
card, m'board whatever or should we just guess??

Neil Green 01-25-2008 10:54 PM

Re: reinstalled XP, monitor problem now

"CL B" <phurrballs@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Neil Green" <nrgreenNOT@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>> Boot XP in safe mode (press F8 when it's starting
>> up)
>> and install the correct drivers for the video card.

> where am I supposed to get the correct drivers for
> the video card? I
> cannot be on the computer, see anything on the
> monitor, to go to any site to
> download any driver, etc.

How about using the same internet connection that
you're using to post to usenet?

CL B 01-26-2008 12:13 AM

Re: reinstalled XP, monitor problem now

Guys come on, I'm using a second computer here (since I can't see the screen
on the other one). duh. I'm going to reinstall XP (again) and start over.
At least I'll have a screen again, yet just very large print.

- Bobb - 01-26-2008 12:45 AM

> Guys come on, I'm using a second computer here (since I can't see the
> screen
> on the other one). duh. I'm going to reinstall XP (again) and start
> over.
> At least I'll have a screen again, yet just very large print.

WHY ??? What will change ??
Download the software you need from the PC that you are on !
If bad PC is onboard video, and a HP pc - go to HP.com
If it is a NVIDIA card, then go to Nvidia.com
etc. To see the screen in 600x800 AFTER XP boots.
Start the PC and tap F8
If you've never done it ...
tap, tap , tap as windows starts to boot.
(If you see XP logo - its too late - reboot.)
Then choose SAFE Mode with networking from the menu.
When you get to desktop,
YOU WILL SEE/READ the SCREEN fine.

Control panel - display - adapter.
What type/model ? Go to THAT site and download the XP driver for that
card.

If built in video, go to manufacturer website etc as above.
If PC HAS built in video and you are trying to use a CARD,
then Enable video in BIOS to leave THAT 'in charge' ( ignore the video
card)

CL B 01-26-2008 08:59 PM

Re: reinstalled XP, monitor problem now

- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote
> WHY ??? What will change ??

Because when I restalled the XP I could see the screen, it was an error I
made afterwards that made the screen not visable (f'd with the display
settings). Anyways I reinstalled XP a second time, and now I can see the
screen again.

However I still have an issue trying to get a the display driver for the
Dell E198FP monitor. I went to Microsoft and downloaded the exe file that
was supposed to be the driver, but all it contains is four text files, no
driver itself. All the EXE file contained was a security catalog
information file, a setup information file which includes no type of
instructions, a version text vile and an ICC profile text file. So I'm
still lost.