Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fuji's DSLR killer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t586881-fujis-dslr-killer.html)

Alfred Molon 01-24-2008 09:05 AM

Fuji's DSLR killer

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...ujifS100FS.asp

2/3" sensor, 11MP, IS, 28-400mm zoom, compact and lightweight
--

Alfred Molon

Dave Cohen 01-24-2008 02:27 PM

Re: Fuji's DSLR killer

Alfred Molon wrote:
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...ujifS100FS.asp
>
> 2/3" sensor, 11MP, IS, 28-400mm zoom, compact and lightweight

Apart from the compulsion to engage in the mp race, this looks like a
very promising alternative to a dslr for at least some of us.
Dave Cohen

Don Stauffer in Minnesota 01-24-2008 02:40 PM

Re: Fuji's DSLR killer

On Jan 24, 8:27 am, Dave Cohen <u...@example.net> wrote:
> Alfred Molon wrote:
> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...ujifS100FS.asp

> > 2/3" sensor, 11MP, IS, 28-400mm zoom, compact and lightweight

> Apart from the compulsion to engage in the mp race, this looks like a
> very promising alternative to a dslr for at least some of us.
> Dave Cohen

Does it have optical TTL viewfinding?

Daniel Silevitch 01-24-2008 03:18 PM

Re: Fuji's DSLR killer

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:40:24 -0800 (PST), Don Stauffer in Minnesota <stauffer@usfamily.net> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 8:27 am, Dave Cohen <u...@example.net> wrote:
>> Alfred Molon wrote:
>> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...ujifS100FS.asp

>> > 2/3" sensor, 11MP, IS, 28-400mm zoom, compact and lightweight

>> Apart from the compulsion to engage in the mp race, this looks like a
>> very promising alternative to a dslr for at least some of us.
>> Dave Cohen

> Does it have optical TTL viewfinding?

There's a viewfinder, but looking through the spec sheet at that URL, it
appears to be electronic, not optical. That's not too surprising; pretty
much all of the superzooms that have viewfinders have electronic ones.

-dms

John McWilliams 01-24-2008 05:31 PM

Re: Fuji's DSLR killer

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:40:24 -0800 (PST), Don Stauffer in Minnesota <stauffer@usfamily.net> wrote:
>>> Apart from the compulsion to engage in the mp race, this looks like a
>>> very promising alternative to a dslr for at least some of us.
>>> Dave Cohen

>> Does it have optical TTL viewfinding?

> There's a viewfinder, but looking through the spec sheet at that URL, it
> appears to be electronic, not optical. That's not too surprising; pretty
> much all of the superzooms that have viewfinders have electronic ones.

IAE, it's not a "DSLR killer". Nor is Canon killing Nikon, nor the reverse.

Is there any hope for de-escalating comparison creep? A way to express
oneself without hyperbole? (Rita excluded)

--
john mcwilliams

Alfred Molon 01-24-2008 06:28 PM

Re: Fuji's DSLR killer

In article <66be55f6-720d-4fab-addf-cf175bc795b3
@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, Don Stauffer in Minnesota says...

> Does it have optical TTL viewfinding?

Of course not - how could a non-SLR camera with a 28-400mm lens have an
optical viewfinder?
--

Alfred Molon

irwell 01-24-2008 08:31 PM

Re: Fuji's DSLR killer

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:05:45 +0100, Alfred Molon
<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...ujifS100FS.asp
>
>2/3" sensor, 11MP, IS, 28-400mm zoom, compact and lightweight

The swivelling LCD is attractive, lightweight? Not at 2lbs.
Nor compact at ::
Weight (no batt) Approx 918g/32.4 oz
Dimensions 133.4(W)93.6(H)150.4(D) mm / 5.3(W) 3.7(H) 5.9(D)
(DP reviews specs)

Like carrying the Oxford Concise Dictionary about.

Alfred Molon 01-24-2008 10:46 PM

Re: Fuji's DSLR killer

In article <23thp3p46b7cskaitku7udcmc1u1bmp7sv@4ax.com>, irwell says...

> The swivelling LCD is attractive, lightweight? Not at 2lbs.
> Nor compact at ::
> Weight (no batt) Approx 918g/32.4 oz
> Dimensions 133.4(W)93.6(H)150.4(D) mm / 5.3(W) 3.7(H) 5.9(D)
> (DP reviews specs)
>
> Like carrying the Oxford Concise Dictionary about.

Let's say it's more compact and light than a DSLR with a 28-400 lens.
--

Alfred Molon

JimKramer 01-25-2008 12:07 AM

Re: Fuji's DSLR killer

On Jan 24, 1:28*pm, Alfred Molon <alfred_mo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <66be55f6-720d-4fab-addf-cf175bc795b3
> @s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, Don Stauffer in Minnesota says...
>
> > Does it have optical TTL viewfinding?

> Of course not - how could a non-SLR camera with a 28-400mm lens have an
> optical viewfinder?
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Split prism? Partial mirror? One path to the sensor, one path to the
optical view finder. It is doable, but not an attractive solution,
the viewfinder would be dim.

dj_nme 01-25-2008 12:29 AM

Re: Fuji's DSLR killer

JimKramer wrote:
> On Jan 24, 1:28 pm, Alfred Molon <alfred_mo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <66be55f6-720d-4fab-addf-cf175bc795b3
>>@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, Don Stauffer in Minnesota says...
>>

>>>Does it have optical TTL viewfinding?

>>Of course not - how could a non-SLR camera with a 28-400mm lens have an
>>optical viewfinder?
>>--
>>
>>Alfred Molon

> Split prism? Partial mirror? One path to the sensor, one path to the
> optical view finder. It is doable, but not an attractive solution,
> the viewfinder would be dim.

The viewfinder on the Olympus E-10 and E-20 seemed to be fine, in those
digicams there is a beamsplitter prism.
It does add to the retail price of the digicam though, as it has two
extra precision ground glass optical elements (beamsplitter and
pentaprism) rather than just simply a miniature LCD (which is what's
inside an EVF).

Considering that Fuji also has a DSLR camera on offering, I wouldn't be
terribly surprised if parts of the Fuji S100FS are built down to a price
(such as a low-res EVF, plastic gear-trains in the focus and zoom
mechanisms, etc) rather than up to a quality (such as a high-res [KM A2
styled 300k pixel] EVF, metal chasis, etc).