Velocity Reviews

-   -   Universal & Paramount's HUGE Catalogs HD-DVD has 43% of titiles avaliable just from those studios. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t586781-universal-and-paramounts-huge-catalogs-hd-dvd-has-43-of-titiles-avaliable-just-from-those-studios.html)

Rock and Roll 01-23-2008 09:22 PM

Universal & Paramount's HUGE Catalogs HD-DVD has 43% of titiles avaliable just from those studios.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561

Borrowed from Chris Frost in the comments section at engadget:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...ward/#comments

Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

According to IMDB these exclusive companies have the US distribution rights
to the following number of movies:

http://www.imdb.com/

HD-DVD

Universal - 5331
Paramount - 5753
Dreamworks - 95
Weinstein - 183

Total 11362 films

Beta Ray

20th Century Fox - 755
SOny Pictures - 419
Disney Buena Vista - 727
MGM - 3639
Columbia/Tri Star - 4323
Warner Brothers - 4623

Total: 14783

Grand Total of all movies from these companies: 26145
11362/26145 = 43%

Meaning HD DVD has 43% of all catalog titles available for potential release
on it's format. It's completely laughable to hear that BDA has 80% of the
major studios. Who cares when Fox/Sony/Buena Vista/Disney all acount for
less than 2000 movies. That's not even half of Universal's back catalog.

I double-checked a few of Chris' figures at IMDB. He is spot on! The
Universal and Paramount catalogs are the biggest in the business! Wow!!

Now, if only Universal and Paramount will grace us with some of those
delicious catalog titles on HD DVD! My money is waiting!

Add BBC and all other indepandant studios and 1 million players and counting
HD-DVD is not going anywhere :)

mark johnson 01-23-2008 09:25 PM

Re: Universal & Paramount's HUGE Catalogs HD-DVD has 43% of titiles avaliable just from those studios.

"Rock and Roll" <hiphopisforFAGS@yrgay.com> wrote in message
> http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561
>
> Borrowed from Chris Frost in the comments section at engadget:
>
> http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...ward/#comments
>
> Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

Another fact that irritates HD-DVD fanboys:

Blu-ray standalone players outsell HD DVD standalone players 93:7 week
ending 1/12/08 (thats not including PS3's)

http://exophase.com/ps3/blu-ray-hard...d-dvd-3109.htm

Michael C 01-23-2008 09:48 PM

Re: Universal & Paramount's HUGE Catalogs HD-DVD has 43% of titiles avaliable just from those studios.

"Rock and Roll" <hiphopisforFAGS@yrgay.com> wrote in message
> http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561
>
> Borrowed from Chris Frost in the comments section at engadget:
>
> http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...ward/#comments
>
> Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

Does anyone really even care? Seriously?

Console fanatics are bad enough but at least there is a significant
difference between them all.

If I get a PS3/360/Wii I can play PS3/360/Wii-exclusive games.

If I get a Blu-Ray player I can watch overpriced but hi-def versions of
films from a tiny library. If I get an HD-DVD player I can, erm, watch
overpriced but hi-def versions of films from a tiny library.

NO-ONE CARES BECAUSE WE CAN GET HI-DEF FILMS AND TV PROGRAMMES ON DEMAND
FROM THE INTERNET AND CABLE COMPANIES YOU STUPID ****ING DICKSPLATS.

Tarkus 01-23-2008 10:03 PM

Rock and Roll wrote:
> Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

You lost. I'm guessing that irritates you much more than anything that
irritates "Beta Ray fanboys".

You should be a comedian, because I find you hilarious.

khee mao 01-23-2008 10:45 PM

"The alMIGHTY N" <natlee75@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> What's more telling is the number of recent big blockbuster hits with
> awesome visual and audio for each studio. Universal and Paramount
> don't have nearly as many as Sony, Fox, etc.

egg zacchary.

then there's Disney/Pixar.

T.B. 01-23-2008 11:45 PM

"Rock and Roll" wrote:

> http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561

(whining snipped)

Hi "Gravity." Or is it "High Def Ducks." I dunno, it's tough keeping up
with all those really clever screen names you use.

BTW, did you also champion DIVX in it's day? LOL!

T.B.

Iridium 01-23-2008 11:50 PM

Re: Universal & Paramount's HUGE Catalogs HD-DVD has 43% of titiles avaliable just from those studios.

"Rock and Roll" <hiphopisforFAGS@yrgay.com> wrote in message
> http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561
>
> Borrowed from Chris Frost in the comments section at engadget:
>
> http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...ward/#comments
>
> Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

Who the **** is a 'fanboy' of a format? That's just pathetic. Just wait,
see which one gets canned, buy that player. If it's neither, buy a combo
player. Simple.

--
Dan
Clio V6 #57

mark johnson 01-24-2008 12:02 AM

<mordacpreventor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 23, 1:25 pm, "mark johnson" <mark-john...@freeola.com> wrote:
> "Rock and Roll" <hiphopisforF...@yrgay.com> wrote in
> messagenews:feOlj.4008$lw.3162@pd7urf1no...
>
> >http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561

> > Borrowed from Chris Frost in the comments section at engadget:

> >http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...ward/#comments

> > Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

> Another fact that irritates HD-DVD fanboys:
>
> Blu-ray standalone players outsell HD DVD standalone players 93:7 week
> ending 1/12/08 (thats not including PS3's)
>
> http://exophase.com/ps3/blu-ray-hard...outpace-hd-dvd...

Those poor bastards.

Just wait until they find out newly released movies won't play on
their players when Blu-ray version 2.0 comes out.

Get your facts right. It doesn't matter what firmware the player has, it
will play the movie. All the differant firmwares do is add features, like
picture in picture etc.

Ian 01-24-2008 12:16 AM

"Michael C" <warped@warblyet.tyc> wrote in message
> "Rock and Roll" <hiphopisforFAGS@yrgay.com> wrote in message
>> http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561
>>
>> Borrowed from Chris Frost in the comments section at engadget:
>>
>> http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...ward/#comments
>>
>> Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

> Does anyone really even care? Seriously?
>
> Console fanatics are bad enough but at least there is a significant
> difference between them all.
>
> If I get a PS3/360/Wii I can play PS3/360/Wii-exclusive games.
>
> If I get a Blu-Ray player I can watch overpriced but hi-def versions of
> films from a tiny library. If I get an HD-DVD player I can, erm, watch
> overpriced but hi-def versions of films from a tiny library.

I never understood the mentality of someone more concerned by the picture
quality than the content.

Brad Darnell 01-24-2008 12:49 AM

Re: Universal & Paramount's HUGE Catalogs HD-DVD has 43% of titiles avaliable just from those studios.

Sony and Fox, now there are two words together that I love to hate.
Brad