Velocity Reviews

-   -   Greetings from a Newcomer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t586401-greetings-from-a-newcomer.html)

Jim Newcomb 01-22-2008 12:31 PM

Greetings from a Newcomer

Hello Everyone:

My name is Jim Newcomb, and I am a newcomer to this group and to
photography in general. Nice to meet you!

I am currently looking for a good, easy-to-use, and affordable digital
camera. It would be a great plus if I could get one that was either
waterproof or shock-proof, as I subject most of my toys to moderate
abuse. I am looking to get as many megapixels as I can, in the range
of $300-$400. I currently own a late-model Apple MacBook Pro, on
which I would like to store my pictures, and would be looking for a
camera that would play well with my other toys. Picture quality and
advanced features are not as important to me as the quality of user-
friendliness, as I am not very technical-minded. Having a large
capacity of memory would be handy.

Does anyone have any suggestions, for cameras that you have used
personally?

Thanks, I'd appreciate any suggestions or opinions you may have!

Jim

bugbear 01-22-2008 12:41 PM

Re: Greetings from a Newcomer

Jim Newcomb wrote:
> I am looking to get as many megapixels as I can

Why?

BugBear

ChrisM 01-22-2008 01:53 PM

Re: Greetings from a Newcomer

In message 13pbp4ag1atemda@corp.supernews.com,
bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> Proclaimed from the tallest
tower:

> Jim Newcomb wrote:
>> I am looking to get as many megapixels as I can

> Why?
>
> BugBear

megapixels -> quality ???

--
Regards,
Chris.

tony cooper 01-22-2008 02:14 PM

Re: Greetings from a Newcomer

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 04:31:51 -0800 (PST), Jim Newcomb
<JimNewcomb@mailinator.com> wrote:

>Hello Everyone:
>
>My name is Jim Newcomb, and I am a newcomer to this group and to
>photography in general. Nice to meet you!
>
>I am currently looking for a good, easy-to-use, and affordable digital
>camera. It would be a great plus if I could get one that was either
>waterproof or shock-proof, as I subject most of my toys to moderate
>abuse. I am looking to get as many megapixels as I can, in the range
>of $300-$400. I currently own a late-model Apple MacBook Pro, on
>which I would like to store my pictures, and would be looking for a
>camera that would play well with my other toys. Picture quality and
>advanced features are not as important to me as the quality of user-
>friendliness, as I am not very technical-minded. Having a large
>capacity of memory would be handy.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions, for cameras that you have used
>personally?
>
>Thanks, I'd appreciate any suggestions or opinions you may have!

From what you've described, the best way for you to choose a camera is
to handle various models in stores. At the price range you mention,
all of the P&S digitals will be good cameras. It won't make a
difference if you use Mac or PC. You've indicated that the special
features that one camera might have an another not is not of concern
to you.

Memory is incidental to brand because large storage cards, or the use
of more than one card, is common to all brands.

So it gets down to "feel" and ability to easily operate the camera.
This can only be done "hands-on". Does the camera feel comfortable in
your grip? Can you navigate the basic controls easily? Can you view
the subject easily?

These are points that can't be covered by a written review.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

John Navas 01-22-2008 06:50 PM

Re: Greetings from a Newcomer

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:53:59 -0000, "ChrisM"
<chris_mayersblue@suedeyahoo.com> wrote in
<NbydnRu7M5kyaAjanZ2dnUVZ8tKsnZ2d@bt.com>:

>In message 13pbp4ag1atemda@corp.supernews.com,
>bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> Proclaimed from the tallest
>tower:
>
>> Jim Newcomb wrote:
>>> I am looking to get as many megapixels as I can

>> Why?

>megapixels -> quality ???

They often mean just the opposite. Look first for the best lens, and
then for enough megapixels to satisfy your needs.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

John Navas 01-22-2008 06:51 PM

<JimNewcomb@mailinator.com> wrote in
<e28433b9-f510-42d5-ad46-49d4eca2e1cc@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>:

>My name is Jim Newcomb, and I am a newcomer to this group and to
>photography in general. Nice to meet you!
>
>I am currently looking for a good, easy-to-use, and affordable digital
>camera. It would be a great plus if I could get one that was either
>waterproof or shock-proof, as I subject most of my toys to moderate
>abuse. I am looking to get as many megapixels as I can, in the range
>of $300-$400. I currently own a late-model Apple MacBook Pro, on
>which I would like to store my pictures, and would be looking for a
>camera that would play well with my other toys. Picture quality and
>advanced features are not as important to me as the quality of user-
>friendliness, as I am not very technical-minded. Having a large
>capacity of memory would be handy.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions, for cameras that you have used
>personally?
>
>Thanks, I'd appreciate any suggestions or opinions you may have!

Quality of lens is far more important than number of megapixels.
Be sure to look at Panasonic cameras with Leica-branded lenses.

Mr. Strat 01-22-2008 07:05 PM

Re: Greetings from a Newcomer

In article <lnecp3178i7l6qoio2hp66t9hgmgtfh5nq@4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Quality of lens is far more important than number of megapixels.
> Be sure to look at Panasonic cameras with Leica-branded lenses.

If you don't care about image quality, this would be good advice.

Stephen Harris 01-23-2008 03:31 AM

Jim Newcomb wrote:

> Hello Everyone:
>
> My name is Jim Newcomb, and I am a newcomer to this group and to
> photography in general. Nice to meet you!
>
> I am currently looking for a good, easy-to-use, and affordable digital
> camera. It would be a great plus if I could get one that was either
> waterproof or shock-proof, as I subject most of my toys to moderate
> abuse. I am looking to get as many megapixels as I can, in the range
> of $300-$400. I currently own a late-model Apple MacBook Pro, on
> which I would like to store my pictures, and would be looking for a
> camera that would play well with my other toys. Picture quality and
> advanced features are not as important to me as the quality of user-
> friendliness, as I am not very technical-minded. Having a large
> capacity of memory would be handy.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions, for cameras that you have used
> personally?
>
> Thanks, I'd appreciate any suggestions or opinions you may have!
>
> Jim

I bought a Nikon Coolpix L15 recently. It has 8.1 megapixels and
is the first of the low priced cameras which has VR which is
image stabilization for camera shake. The memory cards came
seperately, it is a good idea to have two at 2gigs ($40). I bought
a card reader for $15 which saves battery life. The L15 is
available from Amazon for $149 the last I looked. The battery
recharger and rechargeable batteries cost $30. So that is over
$200 without a tripod. If you buy a sorta expensive camera
which can store images in RAW format which is what pros use
maybe the brand of laptop matters (yours is the best I hear).

Most people use Photoshop for digital assest management. Or Adobe
LightRoom is cheaper. But Picasa by Google is free and recommended
for most people. I bought a cheap but good enough to find out if I
like it camera since the peripherals mount up in the total price.

It is going to take effort to read the manual and I don't think that
can be bypassed no matter what camera you buy.

John Navas 01-23-2008 04:00 AM

Re: Greetings from a Newcomer

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 03:31:55 GMT, Stephen Harris
<cyberguard-1048@yahoo.com> wrote in
<Lyylj.224$0o7.79@newssvr13.news.prodigy.net>:

>I bought a Nikon Coolpix L15 recently. It has 8.1 megapixels and
>is the first of the low priced cameras which has VR which is
>image stabilization for camera shake.

Image stabilization has actually been available in compact digital
cameras for quite some time.

Panasonic is notable for having many such cameras. See
<http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MegaOISExplained>

>The L15 is
>available from Amazon for $149 the last I looked. The battery
>recharger and rechargeable batteries cost $30. So that is over
>$200 without a tripod. If you buy a sorta expensive camera
>which can store images in RAW format which is what pros use
>maybe the brand of laptop matters (yours is the best I hear).

Nikon L15: 3x zoom

Also from Amazon:

Panasonic DMC-LS75S 7.2MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image
Stabilized Zoom: $100

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ6S 7.2MP Digital Camera with 6x Image Stabilized
Zoom: $132

>Most people use Photoshop for digital assest management. Or Adobe
>LightRoom is cheaper. But Picasa by Google is free and recommended
>for most people. ...

Adobe Photoshop Elements is more highly recommended for average users.

Charles 01-23-2008 04:08 AM

Re: Greetings from a Newcomer

In article <8jddp3tosch71ckpgt1fsep6ep6aot6al5@4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Adobe Photoshop Elements is more highly recommended for average users.

Since he has a MacBook Pro, iPhoto which ships with it, is fine for the
average user.

--
Charles