Velocity Reviews

-   -   vista wireless connection has decided to go "local only" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t586198-vista-wireless-connection-has-decided-to-go-local-only.html)

billcoumbe@hotmail.com 01-21-2008 05:07 PM

vista wireless connection has decided to go "local only"

Hi

I have a belkin wireless router modem, an OS 9 Mac and a Vista
laptop ...

I got the laptop a few months ago and initially had some hassle
getting it connected to the internet, but after a few wasted hours I
got it working.

Suddenly this morning the laptop won't get any further than the router
- the connection is "local only". The seven year old Mac is connected
to the internet fine. The router sees the laptop and the laptop sees
the router. But no internet connection from the laptop.

afaik nothing has been changed on the laptop or the router. The
wireless signal strength is excellent.

I've spent some time trawling the internet but there doesn't seem to
be a definite answer for this (common) problem.

As far as I'm concerned the laptop/OS isn't fit for purpose, so before
I get the local Trading Standards office involved to get my money back
can anyone suggest a solution?

(... to think, I could have bought another Mac instead of this
garbage!)

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\) 01-21-2008 08:34 PM

Re: vista wireless connection has decided to go "local only"

You may want to disable IPv6 for a test. Or this search result may help.
Please post back with the result.

Vista Local Only and Limited or Not ConnectivityVista Limited connectivity
Vista: Local only - no Internet issues Vista - Local Connection Only Vista
Wireless Limited or No Connectivity ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

billcoumbe@hotmail.com 01-21-2008 09:20 PM

Re: vista wireless connection has decided to go "local only"

Hi Bob

Thank you - I think you fixed it! IPv6 was already disabled, among
other things. But I did the search you suggested which led me to your
post at http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...net-vista.html

Having read that page I tried this - control panel > device manager >
network adapters > your network card > properties > advanced > speed
and duplex - I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing at this point but
I set this to 100Mb half and it works! Let's hope it stays that
way ...

But how come this sort of information isn't easily accessible on the
computer manufacturer's and operating system company's websites ...?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\) 01-22-2008 05:43 AM

Re: vista wireless connection has decided to go "local only"

Thank you for the feedback.