Velocity Reviews

-   -   FF 2.0.0.11 issue (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t586099-ff-2-0-0-11-issue.html)

cag 01-21-2008 06:15 AM

FF 2.0.0.11 issue

Is there a workaround the following issue:
Sometimes FF won't work unless the machine is rebooted. It seems that
ff.exe is running in the background and won't let the program come up on
the screen. Nearly all the time rebooting fixes the problem. I have
used Task Manager, but that doesn't always work. Is there another
version without that issue?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 01-21-2008 06:51 AM

Re: FF 2.0.0.11 issue

cag wrote:
> Is there a workaround the following issue:
> Sometimes FF won't work unless the machine is rebooted. It seems that
> ff.exe is running in the background and won't let the program come up on
> the screen. Nearly all the time rebooting fixes the problem. I have
> used Task Manager, but that doesn't always work. Is there another
> version without that issue?

sometimes when you close FF it hasn't closed properly. So,
then you click to start it up again, it can't because its
still running in the background. The problem, no one really
knows for sure. Some say its because if streaming
audio/video, others say it due to a bad extension, still
others will argue its because of a poor java website. Still
others just don't know what causes this problem.

This problem has been on going for several past versions, so
no there isn't another version without that issue.

Possible solutions: end the program in task manager; reboot;
disable all your extensions, themes, etc.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Tony Raven 01-21-2008 07:44 AM

Re: FF 2.0.0.11 issue

In article <47943864$0$6330$607ed4bc@cv.net>, cgreer1@optonline.net
says...
> Is there a workaround the following issue:
> Sometimes FF won't work unless the machine is rebooted. It seems that
> ff.exe is running in the background and won't let the program come up on
> the screen. Nearly all the time rebooting fixes the problem. I have
> used Task Manager, but that doesn't always work. Is there another
> version without that issue?

Its an old old problem in Firefox so don't expect a fix any time soon.
Not sure that anyone knows what causes it but the FF die-hards will
blame the user for using the Close Window box rather than File/Exit
(although my experience is it doesn't make a blind bit of difference).
The solution I have found always works is to use Task Manager to end
firefox.exe in the Processes tab (and check there is only one version
running and you have ticked "show processes from all users" if you have
more than one. I have occasionally had two copies running both of which
needed to be terminated).

--
Tony

"A committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing
but together can decide that nothing can be done."
- Fred Allen.

John Thompson 01-22-2008 02:25 AM

Re: FF 2.0.0.11 issue

On 2008-01-21, cag <cgreer1@optonline.net> wrote:

> Is there a workaround the following issue:
> Sometimes FF won't work unless the machine is rebooted. It seems that
> ff.exe is running in the background and won't let the program come up on
> the screen. Nearly all the time rebooting fixes the problem. I have
> used Task Manager, but that doesn't always work. Is there another
> version without that issue?

On linux at least, when Firefox is running it creates a lock file called
".parentlock" in the profile directory. When you start Firefox, it
checks for the existence of this .parentlock file and will refuse to
start a new instance of Firefox if the file is found. This is to prevent
multiple instances of Firefox from stomping on each other's settings
and state files. When you close Firefox, the .parentlock file is
removed so the next time you try to start Firefox it will come up normally.

The problem is tha if Firefox terminates abnormally (e.g. crash or its
process killed), the .parentlock file may not be removed, and so the
next time you try to start Firefox, it finds the file, thinks another
instance is already running, and refuses to start. The solution is to
ensure that no other Firefox process is running, and then manually
remove the .parentlock file. Then Firefox will come up normally.

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)