Velocity Reviews

-   -   array type has incomplete element type (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t585254-array-type-has-incomplete-element-type.html)

shrav4ever@gmail.com 01-17-2008 07:06 AM

array type has incomplete element type

Hi All,

This is a part of the code :
extern struct dummy temp[];
error: array type has incomplete element type
which i compiled without any error on :
$gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix5.1.0.0
/2.9-aix51-020209/specs
gcc version 2.9-aix51-020209
but the same code doesnt compile on the :

$gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/
bin/
ld
--disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++ --prefix=/opt/freeware
--enable-threads --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs
--host=powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
Thread model: aix
gcc version 4.0.0

Please suggest me the arguments I must give to gcc 4.0 to get the
above code compiled.

Shravan
PS : I have already gone through the article :
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/dr_047.html>.
the code I am compiling is large and it is difficult to change it
now.
Please suggest me something that GCC 4.0 has for backward
compatibility.

Richard Bos 01-17-2008 08:42 AM

Re: array type has incomplete element type

shrav4ever@gmail.com wrote:

> This is a part of the code :
> extern struct dummy temp[];
> error: array type has incomplete element type

> Please suggest me the arguments I must give to gcc 4.0 to get the
> above code compiled.

There are none. You must complete the element type of the array. IOW,
you must define struct dummy before you declare an array of struct
dummy. Unless you have done that, the error message is correct.

Richard