Velocity Reviews

-   -   Memory Upgrade (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t584921-memory-upgrade.html)

Ntouchet 01-15-2008 11:54 PM

Memory Upgrade

Just got a Dell Precision M60.

It had a measly 512 of memory.

I purchased 2 (two) 1GB modules and installed.

The system would not boot.

I can boot with EITHER module in slot 1 but not both.

Also went to Dell Support with no help.

The manual clearly states that it will recognize 2GB.

This is driving me crazy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter?

TIA

Norm

old man 01-16-2008 12:48 AM

Re: Memory Upgrade

Sure; buy compatible memory that is guaranteed to work
www.crucial.com

JANA 01-16-2008 07:44 AM

Re: Memory Upgrade

Most likely the memory you bought is not compatible with your motherboard.
Call DELL and make sure that they send you the proper memory.

--

JANA
_____

ded 01-16-2008 11:28 AM

Re: Memory Upgrade

"JANA" <jana@NOSPAMca.inter.net> wrote in message
> Most likely the memory you bought is not compatible with your motherboard.
> Call DELL and make sure that they send you the proper memory.
>
> --

I see you're still a top poster.

If you read carefully the original post, both memory modules are
recognised when in slot one, but not when both installed.
The OP cites the manual that it will recognise upto 2gb, so it's
seemingly not an issue of incompatible modules, nor that the mobo
won't recognise modules greater than 512, the indication is a problem
with MoBo's slot 2.
But Norm the OP is another who posts and then vanishes....

David 01-16-2008 04:49 PM

Re: Memory Upgrade

I'm not expert by any means but today putting extra memory nearly drove me
mad.
PC supplied with 2x512mb, 2 slots empty.
Fitted 2 further 512mb, giving 2gb.
Today decided to fit 2 x 1 gb in place of the later 2 x 512.
So removed and placed the 1gbs in.
PC gave no monitor output. Panic, had I bought wrong type, faulty ones or
broken my PC.
Took both 1gbs out, and PC was ok with 2 x 512mb.
added one of the 1gb it worked.
Added the second 1gb and worked.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

ded 01-16-2008 06:02 PM

Re: Memory Upgrade

"David" <david.park@tesco.net> wrote in message
> I'm not expert by any means but today putting extra memory nearly drove me
> mad.
> PC supplied with 2x512mb, 2 slots empty.
> Fitted 2 further 512mb, giving 2gb.
> Today decided to fit 2 x 1 gb in place of the later 2 x 512.
> So removed and placed the 1gbs in.
> PC gave no monitor output. Panic, had I bought wrong type, faulty ones
> or broken my PC.
> Took both 1gbs out, and PC was ok with 2 x 512mb.
> added one of the 1gb it worked.
> Added the second 1gb and worked.
>

> --
> Regards,
> David
>
> Please reply to News Group

The OP has disappeared so we're not able to discern what is problem
without him posting more info.
I note you are a virginmedia poster, the easiest and most reliable way
to ensure one buys the right modules for one's PC is to use crucial's
online scanner:
http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CNT...FRpgMAod6BywsQ

Crucial are also the cheapest (in UK at least) for memory upgrades.
Alternatively, if anyone is relunctant to buy online or knows of cheaper
elsewhere, they could download Belarc Advisor:
This will perform a full audit of a computer, it will tell you type and
capacity etc, but also tell you everything about a PC, from OS key,
hardware, software, drivers, versions, hotfixes, patches, etc etc.

David 01-16-2008 07:14 PM

Re: Memory Upgrade

"ded" <witheld@invalid.witheld> wrote in message

> The OP has disappeared so we're not able to discern what is problem
> without him posting more info.
> I note you are a virginmedia poster, the easiest and most reliable way
> to ensure one buys the right modules for one's PC is to use crucial's
> online scanner:
> http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CNT...FRpgMAod6BywsQ
>
> Crucial are also the cheapest (in UK at least) for memory upgrades.
> Alternatively, if anyone is relunctant to buy online or knows of cheaper
> elsewhere, they could download Belarc Advisor:
> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
> This will perform a full audit of a computer, it will tell you type and
> capacity etc, but also tell you everything about a PC, from OS key,
> hardware, software, drivers, versions, hotfixes, patches, etc etc.

I not know how you know the OP not reading, or going to read.
I'm not with Virgin as my ISP.
Yes I'm aware of those 2 sites for giving the PC information.
(Cruicial got it wrong for my PC by the way.)

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

ded 01-16-2008 07:55 PM

Re: Memory Upgrade

> "ded" <witheld@invalid.witheld> wrote in message
>

>> The OP has disappeared so we're not able to discern what is problem
>> without him posting more info.
>> I note you are a virginmedia poster, the easiest and most reliable way
>> to ensure one buys the right modules for one's PC is to use crucial's
>> online scanner:
>> http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CNT...FRpgMAod6BywsQ
>>
>> Crucial are also the cheapest (in UK at least) for memory upgrades.
>> Alternatively, if anyone is relunctant to buy online or knows of cheaper
>> elsewhere, they could download Belarc Advisor:
>> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>> This will perform a full audit of a computer, it will tell you type and
>> capacity etc, but also tell you everything about a PC, from OS key,
>> hardware, software, drivers, versions, hotfixes, patches, etc etc.
>>

> I not know how you know the OP not reading, or going to read.
> I'm not with Virgin as my ISP.
> Yes I'm aware of those 2 sites for giving the PC information.
> (Cruicial got it wrong for my PC by the way.)
>
> --

Tesco is supplied by virginmedia.

David 01-16-2008 08:33 PM

Re: Memory Upgrade

> Tesco is supplied by virginmedia.

Yes, they do sub contract to them.
Imteresting I was asking Virgin for prices last saturday but thier pricing
structure so complicated I did not proceed. The prices quoted in thier TV
adverts are so low but do not apply.
If an offer is too good to believe it usually is.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Cirga 01-16-2008 08:54 PM

Re: Memory Upgrade

Just because it supports 2GB does not mean it will support 2 X 1GB
sticks. Its probably referring to 1 2GB memory stick. the fact that
it wont boot with both of them installed would infer that. Dell
motherobards are extremely generic IMO.. and they have funky
requirements for memory modules. At least in my experience...