Velocity Reviews

-   -   dvd menu issue (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t584862-dvd-menu-issue.html)

TH 01-15-2008 07:20 PM

dvd menu issue

We were watching a DVD last night, or attempting to. First a
commercial for the production company of the movie came up, which we
couldn't stop by hitting menu or fast forward. So we let it finish.
Then previews started. Again, nothing would stop it except the eject
button, literally. We finally gave up, not wanting to watch a bunch of
pointless previews, we just got rid of the disk. I tried every button
combination to get out of these stupid features and for the life of me
can't figure out why they would set up a DVD so you have to watch this
crap. Was there somethign I missed that I could have done to have
gotten out of the preview junk. I have never seen this before with a
DVD and it was very frustrating.

Walter Traprock 01-15-2008 08:10 PM

Re: dvd menu issue

TH <thehendersons44@aol.com> wrote:

> We were watching a DVD last night, or attempting to. First a
> commercial for the production company of the movie came up, which we
> couldn't stop by hitting menu or fast forward. So we let it finish.
> Then previews started. Again, nothing would stop it except the eject
> button, literally. We finally gave up, not wanting to watch a bunch of
> pointless previews, we just got rid of the disk. I tried every button
> combination to get out of these stupid features and for the life of me
> can't figure out why they would set up a DVD so you have to watch this
> crap. Was there somethign I missed that I could have done to have
> gotten out of the preview junk. I have never seen this before with a
> DVD and it was very frustrating.

What was the DVD? A "Santos" movie does that, I think the first one,
it takes like five minutes to come to a usable menu, to turn on
the english subtitles, before that is a solid block of previews
in a language I don't know with ALL buttons USER-PROHIBITED, except
eject.

TH 01-15-2008 08:25 PM

Re: dvd menu issue

On Jan 15, 12:10*pm, Walter Traprock <wetrapr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What was the DVD? * A "Santos" movie does that, I think the first one,
> it takes like five minutes to come to a usable menu, to turn on
> the english subtitles, before that is a solid block of previews
> in a language I don't know with ALL buttons USER-PROHIBITED, except
> eject.

it was "21 Grams"

whatever you do, do not rent or buy that pile of crap. If I had owned
the thing, it would have been in the dumpster.

that's one of my pet peeves; these DVDs that take three minutes for
the menu to load because it's got all these fancy graphics and stuff.
People don't want to sit through that. They want to put the DVD in and
hit play. Of course, having long previews and commercials that you
can't stop is worse.

Paul MR 01-15-2008 11:53 PM

Re: dvd menu issue

TH wrote:
> We were watching a DVD last night, or attempting to. First a
> commercial for the production company of the movie came up, which we
> couldn't stop by hitting menu or fast forward. So we let it finish.
> Then previews started. Again, nothing would stop it except the eject
> button, literally. We finally gave up, not wanting to watch a bunch of
> pointless previews, we just got rid of the disk. I tried every button
> combination to get out of these stupid features and for the life of me
> can't figure out why they would set up a DVD so you have to watch this
> crap. Was there somethign I missed that I could have done to have
> gotten out of the preview junk. I have never seen this before with a
> DVD and it was very frustrating.

You're right to be po'd. But have you been in a movie theater lately?
Some of them are MUCH worse. My most recent experience (AMC) included
35 minutes of ads, previews, and warnings ("please pick up your own
trash"). It will be many years before I go back there.

On DVD rentals, I've learned to start playing the disk and then go have
dinner. By the time I'm finished eating, the main menu has come up.
Paul

PapaBear 01-16-2008 12:24 AM

Re: dvd menu issue

Rip the main movie to your hard drive with something like DVDFab HD
Decryptor. Then you can watch it on your computer or burn a DVD for your
standalone player. Of course you must then destroy your computer and DVD
copies to avoid possible future repercussions. :o)

PapaBear 01-16-2008 12:36 AM

Re: dvd menu issue

"Paul MR" <mbm701@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> TH wrote:
>> We were watching a DVD last night, or attempting to. First a
>> commercial for the production company of the movie came up, which we
>> couldn't stop by hitting menu or fast forward. So we let it finish.
>> Then previews started. Again, nothing would stop it except the eject
>> button, literally. We finally gave up, not wanting to watch a bunch of
>> pointless previews, we just got rid of the disk. I tried every button
>> combination to get out of these stupid features and for the life of me
>> can't figure out why they would set up a DVD so you have to watch this
>> crap. Was there somethign I missed that I could have done to have
>> gotten out of the preview junk. I have never seen this before with a
>> DVD and it was very frustrating.

> You're right to be po'd. But have you been in a movie theater lately?
> Some of them are MUCH worse. My most recent experience (AMC) included 35
> minutes of ads, previews, and warnings ("please pick up your own trash").
> It will be many years before I go back there.
>
> On DVD rentals, I've learned to start playing the disk and then go have
> dinner. By the time I'm finished eating, the main menu has come up.
> Paul

I've never had that experience. Maybe I'm just lucky, but have always found
some way to bypass previews with the remote control. Either the Menu or
Title buttons works, or the >> chapter/title skip forward/advance button(s)
may do it. Sometimes STOP then continue/restart works, or maybe makes the
other buttons active. If not, then I agree the disc is only good as a
frisbee or coaster, not to be watched.

TH 01-16-2008 12:51 AM

Re: dvd menu issue

On Jan 15, 4:36*pm, "PapaBear" <PaPaB...@thebears.x2x> wrote:

> I've never had that experience. Maybe I'm just lucky, but have always found
> some way to bypass previews with the remote control. Either the Menu or
> Title buttons works, or the >> chapter/title skip forward/advance button(s)
> may do it. Sometimes STOP then continue/restart works, or maybe makes the
> other buttons active. If not, then I agree the disc is only good as a
> frisbee or coaster, not to be watched.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, that usually works with DVDs. Just not this one.