Velocity Reviews

-   -   Apply Scrollbar Colors to Document Only, Not Any Element InsideDocument (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t584825-apply-scrollbar-colors-to-document-only-not-any-element-insidedocument.html)

vunet 01-15-2008 04:43 PM

Apply Scrollbar Colors to Document Only, Not Any Element InsideDocument

IE6 has a bug: when I drag some div element which contains colored
scrollbars, it crashes. I found an article describing this:

http://www.activewidgets.com/javascr...s-with-aw.html

How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

Jonathan N. Little 01-15-2008 04:51 PM

Re: Apply Scrollbar Colors to Document Only, Not Any Element InsideDocument

vunet wrote:
> IE6 has a bug: when I drag some div element which contains colored
> scrollbars, it crashes. I found an article describing this:
>
> http://www.activewidgets.com/javascr...s-with-aw.html
>
> How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
> only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

You don't. No other browser will even let you style them in the first place.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 01-15-2008 04:57 PM

vunet wrote:

> How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
> only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

Don't mess with my browser. You can have access to the content in the
viewport, but the browser is mine.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

vunet 01-15-2008 05:17 PM

Re: Apply Scrollbar Colors to Document Only, Not Any Element InsideDocument

On Jan 15, 11:51 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@centralva.net>
wrote:
> vunet wrote:
> > IE6 has a bug: when I drag some div element which contains colored
> > scrollbars, it crashes. I found an article describing this:

> >http://www.activewidgets.com/javascr...e-6-crashes-wi...

> > How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
> > only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

> You don't. No other browser will even let you style them in the first place.
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

What I meant is applying scrollbar style to html, body but not any
other element such as div in IE (IE ONLY, of course)

html,body {
scrollbar-base-color: #9999cc;
}
div {
scrollbar-base-color: ;
}

But this did not work... You got my idea, didn't you?
Thanks.

Jonathan N. Little 01-15-2008 05:44 PM

vunet wrote:
> On Jan 15, 11:51 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@centralva.net>
> wrote:
>> vunet wrote:
>>> IE6 has a bug: when I drag some div element which contains colored
>>> scrollbars, it crashes. I found an article describing this:
>>> http://www.activewidgets.com/javascr...e-6-crashes-wi...
>>> How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
>>> only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

>> You don't. No other browser will even let you style them in the first place.

<snip my signature>

> What I meant is applying scrollbar style to html, body but not any
> other element such as div in IE (IE ONLY, of course)
>
> html,body {
> scrollbar-base-color: #9999cc;
> }
> div {
> scrollbar-base-color: ;
> }
>
> But this did not work... You got my idea, didn't you?

Got it, really. Scrollbars are considered part of the browser chrome,
stick to web standard and do yourself a favor. If you are looking for
constancy in MS you are in a world of hurt, only takes a quick scan of
the NG to see the evidence. Avoid proprietary properties

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html

and save yourself some grief.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

richard 01-15-2008 08:09 PM

Re: Apply Scrollbar Colors to Document Only, Not Any Element Inside Document

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:43:34 -0800 (PST), vunet <vunet.us@gmail.com>
wrote:

>IE6 has a bug: when I drag some div element which contains colored
>scrollbars, it crashes. I found an article describing this:
>
>http://www.activewidgets.com/javascr...s-with-aw.html
>
>How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
>only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

IE is a bug. Use Firefox.

Neredbojias 01-15-2008 09:33 PM

Re: Apply Scrollbar Colors to Document Only, Not Any Element Inside Document

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:43:34
GMT vunet scribed:

> IE6 has a bug: when I drag some div element which contains colored
> scrollbars, it crashes. I found an article describing this:
>
> http://www.activewidgets.com/javascr...6-crashes-with
> -aw.html
>
> How can I use CSS to tell to apply colored scrollbars to the page
> only, not any element inside of the page such as div, iframe, etc.?

As Jonathan implied, it's a non-standard proprietary thing so other
elements will probably "inherit" the attribute no matter what you do.

--
Neredbojias
Riches are their own reward.