Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem applying profile (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t584688-problem-applying-profile.html)

Kindergarten Teacher 01-15-2008 04:19 AM

Problem applying profile

With XP, SP 2 and Intel Proset Wireless, I sometimes get automatic connection
with my wireless access point. At other times, I get connected to a
neighbor's unencrypted network. If I disconnect from the neighbor's, and try
to connect to mine, I often get "Problem applying profile". At other time's
it connects OK. This started occurring only about one month ago. I
uninstalled the network card driver, and rebooted, but that didn't solve the
problem. I also tried letting Windows manage the wireless connection, but it
just sat there "Finding network address". Any ideas?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\) 01-15-2008 03:44 PM

Re: Problem applying profile

Make sure that the option 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks'
is unchecked. Or this how to may help.

How to limit wireless connect to only one connection
http://www.wifimvp.com/

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 01-15-2008 05:26 PM

Re: Problem applying profile

Hi
If Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) is set to maintain preferred
Network every Wireless connection that you connect too get entered into your
preferred list.
Look at least and remove all irrelevant entries. Do it periodically to make
sure that it is always clean.
http://www.ezlan.net/example/prefer.jpg
Jack (MVP-Networking).

shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com 02-29-2008 03:17 PM

Re: Problem applying profile

On Jan 15, 7:44*am, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
<blinNoEmailple...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Make sure that the option 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks'
> is unchecked. Or this how to may help.
>
> How to limit wireless connect to only one connectionhttp://www.wifimvp.com/
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
> "Kindergarten Teacher" <Kindergarten Teac...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in messagenews:8D8AB5A8-8E7B-4FBE-A58A-8398AA080EFE@microsoft.com...
>

> > With XP, SP 2 and Intel Proset Wireless, I sometimes get automatic
> > connection
> > with my wireless access point. *At other times, I get connected to a
> > neighbor's unencrypted network. *If I disconnect from the neighbor's, and
> > try
> > to connect to mine, I often get "Problemapplyingprofile". *At other
> > time's
> > it connects OK. *This started occurring only about one month ago. *I
> > uninstalled the network card driver, and rebooted, but that didn't solve
> > the
> >problem. *I also tried letting Windows manage the wireless connection, but
> > it
> > just sat there "Finding network address". *Any ideas?- Hide quoted text -

I have the same problem, however when i opened up properties on the
wireless network tab, it doesn't have the same window info as the
example. So i'm not sure how to exclude all connections but my own. I
have Windows XP.

Lem 02-29-2008 09:29 PM

shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 15, 7:44 am, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
> <blinNoEmailple...@mvps.org> wrote:
>> Make sure that the option 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks'
>> is unchecked. Or this how to may help.
>>
>> How to limit wireless connect to only one connectionhttp://www.wifimvp.com/
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>
>> "Kindergarten Teacher" <Kindergarten Teac...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in messagenews:8D8AB5A8-8E7B-4FBE-A58A-8398AA080EFE@microsoft.com...
>>

>>> With XP, SP 2 and Intel Proset Wireless, I sometimes get automatic
>>> connection
>>> with my wireless access point. At other times, I get connected to a
>>> neighbor's unencrypted network. If I disconnect from the neighbor's, and
>>> try
>>> to connect to mine, I often get "Problemapplyingprofile". At other
>>> time's
>>> it connects OK. This started occurring only about one month ago. I
>>> uninstalled the network card driver, and rebooted, but that didn't solve
>>> the
>>> problem. I also tried letting Windows manage the wireless connection, but
>>> it
>>> just sat there "Finding network address". Any ideas?- Hide quoted text -

> I have the same problem, however when i opened up properties on the
> wireless network tab, it doesn't have the same window info as the
> example. So i'm not sure how to exclude all connections but my own. I
> have Windows XP.

Try starting your own thread and explain what your "same problem" is and
what example you're referring to.

If your Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog doesn't look like
this, then you're probably using something other than Windows to
configure your wireless connection, and we can't help unless you tell us
what it is.
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml
--
Lem -- MS-MVP