Velocity Reviews

-   -   limiting acces time for kids laptops (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t584651-limiting-acces-time-for-kids-laptops.html)

keef 01-14-2008 11:16 PM

limiting acces time for kids laptops

Hi
i have set up a home wi-fi broardband router for myself and my kids.
is there any way that i can stop access after a certain time.
my 10 year old son tends to be on line all night if given the chance.
My only way of keeping an eye on him is via messenger.
Is there any way of dropping his connection to the router from my PC.

thanks
keef

Lem 01-15-2008 12:39 AM

Re: limiting acces time for kids laptops

keef wrote:
> Hi
> i have set up a home wi-fi broardband router for myself and my kids.
> is there any way that i can stop access after a certain time.
> my 10 year old son tends to be on line all night if given the chance.
> My only way of keeping an eye on him is via messenger.
> Is there any way of dropping his connection to the router from my PC.
>
> thanks
> keef

Some (many? all?) home wireless routers have various mechanisms for
limiting Internet access. Linksys, for example, lets you limit Internet
access to any given computer(s) on the LAN by day of week/time of day;
website; keyword; or service. Take a look in your router's User Guide
(or post make/model). And be sure to password-protect the router's
configuration utility (it's probably overkill to put the router behind a
locked door to prevent your kid from resetting it to factory defaults).

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Chris 01-15-2008 06:26 PM

"keef" <keef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> i have set up a home wi-fi broardband router for myself and my kids.
> is there any way that i can stop access after a certain time.
> my 10 year old son tends to be on line all night if given the chance.
> My only way of keeping an eye on him is via messenger.
> Is there any way of dropping his connection to the router from my PC.
>
> thanks
> keef

I had this same need for my kids with my Linksys WRT54G. I also found a bug
so beware. You have to make a rule for allowing access to the MAC address
in question 24x7 THEN enter a second rule for when you want to restrict
access. I tried entering only the rule for my restriction and it did not
work. Only after searching around for a good bit on UseNet did I find the
solution that I speak of.

Hope this helps save you some time.

Chris