Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wired/Wireless home network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t584599-wired-wireless-home-network.html)

Erich93063 01-14-2008 06:32 PM

Wired/Wireless home network

I am driving myself crazy over here trying to setup a basic home
network. Let me tell you what I have and what I am trying to do. I
have a cable modem for my internet connection and a Netgear WGT624
wireless router. To complicate things I also have a Vonage box for my
home telephone service. Before I got the wireless router, I just had
my cable modem going into the vonage box and then going into my main
XP pro box and all was well. I then got a Wii for Christmas and
decided to get the Netgear wireless router so I could get the Wii onto
the internet to download games etc. So I hooked up the wireless
router. I have my cable modem going directly into the wireless router
then from one of the wired ports I have that going into the vonage box
and then into my main office computer. This is all hardwired. This is
working fine and I have internet connectivity on both my main XP pro
machine and then wirelessly to the Wii. And my vonage service works
fine.

So this brings me to what I really want to do next. Occasionally, I
have family members who have computer issues. So I take their box home
with me to fix them. I currently have a KVM switch setup to bounce
back and forth between the machines. Since I have the router now, I
decided to also plug in a network cable from one of the additional
wired ports on the router to my family members XP Pro machine. This
worked and did indeed give the box internet connectivity. So now at
this point, I have my main box connected to the intent fine, my family
members box connected tho the intenet and the Wii wirelessly connected
and all is well. BUT, I want to be able to transfer files between the
two wired XP Pro boxes. I thought since they were both connected to
the same router it would just happen automatically but that is my
ignorance as to setting up home networks as I have never done it
before. So I decided to run the "Setup a home network" wizard on my
main machine and then I did the same on my family members machine but
I must be doing something wrong or forgetting a step or something
because i cannot see one machine from the other.

Bottom line is that I just want to be able to pass files back and
forth easily from the two wired xp pro machines. Ultimately, I would
like to have it to where in the future, anytime someone brings their
computer over, I can just plug it directly into their computer and
they will have internet and can share files back and forth.

HELP??

(sorry for the long post I just wanted to be thorough)

THANKS!!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 01-14-2008 09:27 PM

Re: Wired/Wireless home network

Hi
When you brink the New computer, plug it to you Network, change the
Workgroup (manually No Wizard) to your Workgroup name, if the computer have
a static IP change it to Auto obtain an IP from your Router, take a look at
the computer's Windows/Software Firewall too , make sure that it allows LAN
traffic suitable for your Network IP range (subnet). (
<http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#trusted> )
To exchange files with your computers you have to enable the new computer's
File Sharing.
Do not get despaired if some of the changes do not take place immediately,
sometimes you need to Boot the whole Network few times until all of the
changes propagates correctly.
Unfortunately I cannot give you specific instruction for each type of
setting since it depends on the way a specific computer is configured.
This page describes a process to check the Network setting it can be useful
to access the Network for configuration setting as well,
<http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html>
As For File Sharing
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Erich93063 01-15-2008 12:32 AM

Re: Wired/Wireless home network

On Jan 14, 1:27 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<j...@discussiongroup.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > two wired XP Pro boxes. I thought since they were both connected to
> > the same router it would just happen automatically but that is my
> > ignorance as to setting up home networks as I have never done it
> > before. So I decided to run the "Setup a home network" wizard on my
> > main machine and then I did the same on my family members machine but
> > I must be doing something wrong or forgetting a step or something
> > because i cannot see one machine from the other.

> > Bottom line is that I just want to be able to pass files back and
> > forth easily from the two wired xp pro machines. Ultimately, I would
> > like to have it to where in the future, anytime someone brings their
> > computer over, I can just plug it directly into their computer and
> > they will have internet and can share files back and forth.

> > HELP??

> > (sorry for the long post I just wanted to be thorough)

OK So I tracked it down to my Vonage router. When i remove that from
the equation, I am able to see the shared folders from one computer to
the other. OS I guess I need to call Vonage to figre out how to
configure the router to allow traffic through.