Velocity Reviews

-   -   Email Problem - Sending With Broadband (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t584440-email-problem-sending-with-broadband.html)

Slightly Aggravated 01-14-2008 02:40 AM

Email Problem - Sending With Broadband

I just upgraded to Telecom Broadband. Everything seems to be
working OK, except one item.

I have my own domain, which I use for email. I can download
email right now. However, since switching to broadband, I cannot
send any email out.

I am using an old version of Eudora, with the SMTP field set to
this format:

relay.example.com

With "example" be replaced by my domain.

This has always worked before. I also tried my backup Xtra
dialup account, and sending mail out still works OK through that.

But when I try to send through the broadband connection, Eudora
attempts to connect to the above-mentioned server, but it times
out without responding. Although a ping command to the server
works OK.

I have the Xtra Single PC Self-Install Kit, with the D-Link
DSL-502T router. With Windows 98, and USB connection.

Has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps there is some setting
in the router that needs to be changed?

Thanks for any suggestions.

thingy 01-14-2008 03:51 AM

Re: Email Problem - Sending With Broadband

Slightly Aggravated wrote:
> I just upgraded to Telecom Broadband. Everything seems to be
> working OK, except one item.
>
> I have my own domain, which I use for email. I can download
> email right now. However, since switching to broadband, I cannot
> send any email out.
>
> I am using an old version of Eudora, with the SMTP field set to
> this format:
>
> relay.example.com
>
> With "example" be replaced by my domain.
>
> This has always worked before. I also tried my backup Xtra
> dialup account, and sending mail out still works OK through that.
>
> But when I try to send through the broadband connection, Eudora
> attempts to connect to the above-mentioned server, but it times
> out without responding. Although a ping command to the server
> works OK.
>
> I have the Xtra Single PC Self-Install Kit, with the D-Link
> DSL-502T router. With Windows 98, and USB connection.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps there is some setting
> in the router that needs to be changed?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Try smarthosting through xtra's smtp server(s)....if it works the rest
is probably being blocked....however from experience we know that smtp
servers on the end of an adsl link seem to have many "micro breaks" and
just do not work....which really p*sses off little one man bands who use
them...they prefer to blame us.....

regards

Thing

peter 01-14-2008 04:41 AM

Slightly Aggravated wrote:
> I just upgraded to Telecom Broadband. Everything seems to be
> working OK, except one item. I have my own domain, which I use
> for email. I can download email right now. However, since
> switching to broadband, I cannot send any email out.

I think I read somewhere that Xtra blocks this sort of internet traffic.
Have you asked the Xtra helpdesk?

HTH

Peter

Ralph Fox 01-14-2008 05:23 AM

Re: Email Problem - Sending With Broadband

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:40:50 -0800, in message <MPG.21f46b4b78d52eee989e47@nntp.aioe.org>,
Slightly Aggravated wrote:

> I just upgraded to Telecom Broadband. Everything seems to be
> working OK, except one item.
>
> I have my own domain, which I use for email. I can download
> email right now. However, since switching to broadband, I cannot
> send any email out.
>
> I am using an old version of Eudora, with the SMTP field set to
> this format:
>
> relay.example.com
>
> With "example" be replaced by my domain.

Q. What of the other 'net settings for this server
Port number: 25 ?
Secure connection: No ?

See http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Dave Taylor 01-14-2008 06:53 AM

Re: Email Problem - Sending With Broadband

Slightly Aggravated <JustRespond@ThisNewsgroup.Here> wrote in

> Has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps there is some setting
> in the router that needs to be changed?

Yes:
Contact Telecom and let them know you want port 25 unblocked. They used to
have an online form you filled out with your router info and it would be
done.
I cannot find the link anymore because I don't use telecom services, but I
did have some customers who did and needed this feature.
It was a simple URL from memory, something like www.xtra.co.nz/port25
Just tried it and it redirects to the correct place.

--
Ciao, Dave

geoff 01-14-2008 09:06 PM

Slightly Aggravated wrote:
> I just upgraded to Telecom Broadband. Everything seems to be
> working OK, except one item.
>
> I have my own domain, which I use for email. I can download
> email right now. However, since switching to broadband, I cannot
> send any email out.

You need to enter smtp.xtra.co.nz as your outgoing server, if connecting via
Xtra. Your outgoing e emails will still appear to come from your domain, it
just like that NZ Post owns the letter box you stick your letter into.

Your own domain name is irrelevant, unless you have your own smtp and pop3
servers running on your domain...

geoff

Richard 01-15-2008 11:52 AM

geoff wrote:

> You need to enter smtp.xtra.co.nz as your outgoing server, if connecting via
> Xtra. Your outgoing e emails will still appear to come from your domain, it
> just like that NZ Post owns the letter box you stick your letter into.
>
> Your own domain name is irrelevant, unless you have your own smtp and pop3
> servers running on your domain...

No, they will go into the spam folder or else just get dropped by the
recipient mail server since they are being spoofed - you should always
send via a server that is the MX for the domain being sent from, or has
SPF records created on the domain authorizing it as a source of emails
for that domain.

Some will say to add xtra into your SPF records to let you send thru it,
thats the stupidest idea ever since the same server accepts
unauthenticated smtp from a whole userbase well known for their ability
to get backdoored and trojened with great regularity.

When domain keys start being required, would you

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 01-16-2008 03:40 AM

Re: Email Problem - Sending With Broadband

In article <478ca29d$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Richard did write:

> No, they will go into the spam folder or else just get dropped by the
> recipient mail server since they are being spoofed - you should always
> send via a server that is the MX for the domain being sent from...

There is no such requirement. MX records are for _receiving_ mail, not
sending it.

Richard 01-16-2008 05:50 AM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <478ca29d$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Richard did write:
>
>> No, they will go into the spam folder or else just get dropped by the
>> recipient mail server since they are being spoofed - you should always
>> send via a server that is the MX for the domain being sent from...

> There is no such requirement. MX records are for _receiving_ mail, not
> sending it.

Yes, but they are used as an anti spam measure. Its widely known that
you run the risk of it hitting the spam folder by relaying via an
unrelated email server.

You also conveniently enough cut off the other part where I said about
the spf records, which is the other way to authorize the mail server for
your domain.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 01-16-2008 06:07 AM

Re: Email Problem - Sending With Broadband

In article <478d9f49$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Richard did write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In article <478ca29d$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Richard did write:
>>
>>> No, they will go into the spam folder or else just get dropped by the
>>> recipient mail server since they are being spoofed - you should always
>>> send via a server that is the MX for the domain being sent from...

>> There is no such requirement. MX records are for _receiving_ mail, not
>> sending it.

> Yes, but they are used as an anti spam measure.

Not a very effective one. I'm not aware of any reputable anti-spam service
that places much reliance on this criterion.

> You also conveniently enough cut off the other part where I said about
> the spf records, which is the other way to authorize the mail server for
> your domain.

And which was, interestingly enough, embraced by spammers.