Velocity Reviews

-   -   clock keeps altering (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t584317-clock-keeps-altering.html)

gary hescott 01-13-2008 09:55 AM

clock keeps altering

the clock on my computer alters itself. i correct it and it doesnt seem to
cause any other probs that i am aware of.
why does it do this ? (windows xp.)

SJP 01-13-2008 09:59 AM

Re: clock keeps altering

"gary hescott" <gary.hescott@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> the clock on my computer alters itself. i correct it and it doesnt seem to
> cause any other probs that i am aware of.
> why does it do this ? (windows xp.)

Motherboard battery failing

VanguardLH 01-13-2008 11:30 AM

Re: clock keeps altering

"gary hescott" wrote in message
> the clock on my computer alters itself. i correct it and it doesnt
> seem to cause any other probs that i am aware of.
> why does it do this ? (windows xp.)

By how much do you need to alter it? An hour every time?

ded 01-13-2008 11:53 AM

Re: clock keeps altering

"gary hescott" <gary.hescott@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> the clock on my computer alters itself. i correct it and it doesnt seem to
> cause any other probs that i am aware of.
> why does it do this ? (windows xp.)

your description of problem is vague, but it's probably the CMOS battery
Read this:
http://www.pctechbytes.com/computer/article-21.html

Then google: replacing CMOS battery
You'll get plenty of results on how to do it

Plato 01-14-2008 12:36 AM

Re: clock keeps altering

gary hescott wrote:

> the clock on my computer alters itself. i correct it and it doesnt seem to
> cause any other probs that i am aware of.
> why does it do this ? (windows xp.)

It has nothing to do with XP.

However, it's often due to your cmos battery needing replacing or some
dodgy app you are running 24.7

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato 01-14-2008 12:36 AM

Re: clock keeps altering

ded wrote:

> > the clock on my computer alters itself. i correct it and it doesnt seem to
> > cause any other probs that i am aware of.
> > why does it do this ? (windows xp.)
> >

> your description of problem is vague, but it's probably the CMOS battery
> Read this:
> http://www.pctechbytes.com/computer/article-21.html
>
> Then google: replacing CMOS battery
> You'll get plenty of results on how to do it

I've had computers with perfect cmos batteries and fresh OS and the
clock never was accurate. Sometimes the cmos battery circuit on the
motherboard goes bad and the only thing you can do in that case is use a
time synchronizer.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

BK 01-16-2008 01:23 AM

Re: clock keeps altering

gary hescott wrote:
> the clock on my computer alters itself. i correct it and it doesnt seem to
> cause any other probs that i am aware of.
> why does it do this ? (windows xp.)

If it happens after a shutdown, then you need to replace your BIOS
battery (the small battery on your machine's motherboard), a relatively
easy fix.