Velocity Reviews

-   -   The real POINT with Blue Ray and HD (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t583719-the-real-point-with-blue-ray-and-hd.html)

Walter Traprock 01-10-2008 06:46 PM

The real POINT with Blue Ray and HD

Is that it is usually off-topic in this newsgroup!
Have you noticed that traffic in this newsgroup has
nearly disappeared since, when, in the past, it was
announced that HD-DVD/BlueRay was projected to be
released in future? It's like, DVD is no longer
new-fangled! No longer cutting edge! It is now
retro-primitive! The never-ending battle to not
care what is on the tube but have it in the very
latest style continues forever!

By the way, the most SEVERE picture problem with
"home" (as well as office, stores, mechanics,
restaurants, etc.,) video is not lack of pixels,
but the presentation of 1.33 content as 1.77 ratio
in widescreen TV sets. The pictorial result is so
"bent", so warped, so squished, it is just
intolerable. And since old TV and old movies aren't
going to disappear anytime soon, the problem is
scheduled to remain.

Last DVD watched: Madame Sin, oops, that's a VHS
rental. OK, I think it was the best of not the nine
o'clock news.

Richard C. 01-11-2008 03:30 AM

Re: The real POINT with Blue Ray and HD

"Walter Traprock" <wetraprock@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> By the way, the most SEVERE picture problem with
> "home" (as well as office, stores, mechanics,
> restaurants, etc.,) video is not lack of pixels,
> but the presentation of 1.33 content as 1.77 ratio
> in widescreen TV sets. The pictorial result is so
> "bent", so warped, so squished, it is just
> intolerable. And since old TV and old movies aren't
> going to disappear anytime soon, the problem is
> scheduled to remain.

==============================
Strange....I have no problem on my widescreen set.
When I watch 1.33 it remains 1.33

=========================

Derek Janssen 01-11-2008 03:39 AM

Richard C. wrote:

> "Walter Traprock" <wetraprock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>> By the way, the most SEVERE picture problem with
>> "home" (as well as office, stores, mechanics,
>> restaurants, etc.,) video is not lack of pixels,
>> but the presentation of 1.33 content as 1.77 ratio
>> in widescreen TV sets. The pictorial result is so
>> "bent", so warped, so squished, it is just
>> intolerable. And since old TV and old movies aren't
>> going to disappear anytime soon, the problem is
>> scheduled to remain.
>>

> ==============================
> Strange....I have no problem on my widescreen set.
> When I watch 1.33 it remains 1.33

Depends on whether he's referring to the set or to the video player:

If it's the set, um, try converting the settings.
If it's video, some players can't convert, and automatically stretch
everything shown in 480i into widescreen...
While other players, such as Sony's, already plan or have settings to
switch back and forth between, say, old movies with widescreen DVD menus.

Derek Janssen
ejanss1@verizon.net