Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sipgate - registering mobile (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t583711-sipgate-registering-mobile.html)

Michael Chare 01-10-2008 06:16 PM

Sipgate - registering mobile

Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with Sipgate?

The phone can establish a Wifi connection because the email works.

I have done my best to enter the settings are per the sipgate website
following the Nokia instructions.

I have the sipgate 'light' PC software (on my PC) and that can dial the
10200 number to get a code for adding money to my account.

One odd point I have noticed is that I get an error 916 when I try and add
money to the account.

--
Michael Chare

alexd 01-10-2008 06:48 PM

Re: Sipgate - registering mobile

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:16:52 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

> Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
> Sipgate?

What model is it? What software are you using? ISTR hearing grumblings
that the Nokia SIP implementation doesn't work behind NAT.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm@ale.cx)
18:46:31 up 5 days, 9:10, 2 users, load average: 1.54, 1.56, 1.54

Michael Chare 01-10-2008 07:23 PM

"alexd" <troffasky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:16:52 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:
>
>> Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
>> Sipgate?

> What model is it? What software are you using? ISTR hearing grumblings
> that the Nokia SIP implementation doesn't work behind NAT.
>
> --
> <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm@ale.cx)
> 18:46:31 up 5 days, 9:10, 2 users, load average: 1.54, 1.56, 1.54
> 2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
> For more info call 0191 229 8870 and ask for Steve. No agencies.

It is an E65 and it has the latest firmware which I updated today.

--
Michael Chare

Piers Finlayson 01-10-2008 07:54 PM

"Michael Chare" <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote in message
> Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
> Sipgate?
>
> The phone can establish a Wifi connection because the email works.
>
> I have done my best to enter the settings are per the sipgate website
> following the Nokia instructions.
>
> I have the sipgate 'light' PC software (on my PC) and that can dial the
> 10200 number to get a code for adding money to my account.
>
> One odd point I have noticed is that I get an error 916 when I try and add
> money to the account.

What a coincidence. I got the SIP Client in a Nokia E65 working today.
However, I had to replace the Vodafone firmware on the phone with generic
(non-Vodafone) firmware before it would work at all.

I've seen some suggestions that Vodafone cripple the SIP client in the Nokia
firmware so it only works when you connect via a Vodafone wireless access
point.

mr deo 01-10-2008 07:56 PM

Re: Sipgate - registering mobile

> What a coincidence. I got the SIP Client in a Nokia E65 working today.
> However, I had to replace the Vodafone firmware on the phone with generic
> (non-Vodafone) firmware before it would work at all.
>
> I've seen some suggestions that Vodafone cripple the SIP client in the

Nokia
> firmware so it only works when you connect via a Vodafone wireless access
> point.

This may be correct, but they were just having Wifi disabled by default, I
guess we might see why they are now allowing Wifi.

Michael Chare 01-10-2008 08:16 PM

"Piers Finlayson" <news@packom.net> wrote in message

> "Michael Chare" <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote in message
>> Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
>> Sipgate?
>>
>> The phone can establish a Wifi connection because the email works.
>>
>> I have done my best to enter the settings are per the sipgate website
>> following the Nokia instructions.
>>
>> I have the sipgate 'light' PC software (on my PC) and that can dial the
>> 10200 number to get a code for adding money to my account.
>>
>> One odd point I have noticed is that I get an error 916 when I try and
>> add money to the account.
>>

> What a coincidence. I got the SIP Client in a Nokia E65 working today.
> However, I had to replace the Vodafone firmware on the phone with generic
> (non-Vodafone) firmware before it would work at all.
>
> I've seen some suggestions that Vodafone cripple the SIP client in the
> Nokia firmware so it only works when you connect via a Vodafone wireless
> access point.

I bought a SIM free phone which I am using with an old Virgin SIM, so I
guess I am using the standard Nokia software.

Having googled after alexd's reply I see that there have been problems
operating behind NAT routers. I don't know if this is my problem. There
have been promises by Nokia to have this fixed by now.

Are you running behind a NAT router? What VOIP service provider are you
using?

--
Michael Chare

Dave Higton 01-10-2008 09:40 PM

Re: Sipgate - registering mobile

In message <Mbudnd_k7u-I_BvanZ2dnUVZ8sGvnZ2d@pipex.net>
"Michael Chare" <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:

> One odd point I have noticed is that I get an error 916 when I try and add
> money to the account.

I had this too, and an Internet search shows that others have too.
I contacted Sipgate and they fixed the problem.

Dave

Piers Finlayson 01-10-2008 09:48 PM

> "Piers Finlayson" <news@packom.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Michael Chare" <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote in message
>>> Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
>>> Sipgate?
>>>
>>> The phone can establish a Wifi connection because the email works.
>>>
>>> I have done my best to enter the settings are per the sipgate website
>>> following the Nokia instructions.
>>>
>>> I have the sipgate 'light' PC software (on my PC) and that can dial the
>>> 10200 number to get a code for adding money to my account.
>>>
>>> One odd point I have noticed is that I get an error 916 when I try and
>>> add money to the account.
>>>

>> What a coincidence. I got the SIP Client in a Nokia E65 working today.
>> However, I had to replace the Vodafone firmware on the phone with generic
>> (non-Vodafone) firmware before it would work at all.
>>
>> I've seen some suggestions that Vodafone cripple the SIP client in the
>> Nokia firmware so it only works when you connect via a Vodafone wireless
>> access point.

> I bought a SIM free phone which I am using with an old Virgin SIM, so I
> guess I am using the standard Nokia software.
>
> Having googled after alexd's reply I see that there have been problems
> operating behind NAT routers. I don't know if this is my problem. There
> have been promises by Nokia to have this fixed by now.
>
> Are you running behind a NAT router? What VOIP service provider are you
> using?

Yes I am behind a NAT router, but I'm using a proprietary (private) provider
I'm afraid.

If I get a chance I'll see if I can get it working with Sipgate tomorrow.

Gordon Henderson 01-10-2008 10:21 PM

Re: Sipgate - registering mobile

In article <47866870$0$514$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>,
alexd <troffasky@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:16:52 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:
>
>> Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
>> Sipgate?

>What model is it? What software are you using? ISTR hearing grumblings
>that the Nokia SIP implementation doesn't work behind NAT.

The E90 works OK behind NAT, although I don't quite know how as I
never gave it a STUN server, have no ports forwarded, not using uPNP,
etc. ... Not had time to sniff the packets though, to see how it's
doing it.

Gordon

Michael Chare 01-10-2008 10:49 PM

> If I get a chance I'll see if I can get it working with Sipgate tomorrow.

Thanks, I shall look forward to hearing the outcome! At the moment even the
preconfigured Sipgate X-Lite PC software won't accept incoming calls (except
once!)

I only discovered the other day that you could get mobiles with VOIP as
well, and I thought it would be useful on holiday as often hotels have WiFi
networks.
It is such a good idea if only it would work!

--
Michael Chare