Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem with Firefox Versus Internet Explorer?! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t583431-problem-with-firefox-versus-internet-explorer.html)

ross m. greenberg 01-09-2008 03:15 PM

Problem with Firefox Versus Internet Explorer?!

Viewing this website (http://www.bovinaupchurch.org) will demonstrate the problem handily: when viewed in Internet Explorer, it appears correctly. When viewed with Firefox, font sizes are not correct, margins are not correct, and the repeats on the CSS do not appear to be working properly.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Ross

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 01-09-2008 05:39 PM

Re: Problem with Firefox Versus Internet Explorer?!

ross m. greenberg wrote:
> Viewing this website (http://www.bovinaupchurch.org) will
> demonstrate the problem handily: when viewed in Internet
> Explorer, it appears correctly. When viewed with
> Firefox, font sizes are not correct, margins are not
> correct, and the repeats on the CSS do not appear to be
> working properly.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ross

the site looks the same in FF/SeaMonkey as it does in IE.
Try adjusting the font to None for Minimum Font Size, and
make sure that "allow pages to choose their own fonts. . . "
is checked.

Otherwise, we need more information than it's not correct.
What do you mean by that?

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Invisible Man 01-09-2008 05:51 PM

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> ross m. greenberg wrote:
>> Viewing this website (http://www.bovinaupchurch.org) will
>> demonstrate the problem handily: when viewed in Internet
>> Explorer, it appears correctly. When viewed with
>> Firefox, font sizes are not correct, margins are not
>> correct, and the repeats on the CSS do not appear to be
>> working properly.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ross
>>

> the site looks the same in FF/SeaMonkey as it does in IE. Try adjusting
> the font to None for Minimum Font Size, and make sure that "allow pages
> to choose their own fonts. . . " is checked.
>
> Otherwise, we need more information than it's not correct. What do you
> mean by that?

On that site I am not getting lines wrapping in the same places as they
do in IE7. Lines are too long and running slightly off the right side of
the screen.
Otherwise looks OK

sticks 01-09-2008 06:10 PM

Re: Problem with Firefox Versus Internet Explorer?!

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> ross m. greenberg wrote:
>> Viewing this website (http://www.bovinaupchurch.org) will
>> demonstrate the problem handily: when viewed in Internet
>> Explorer, it appears correctly. When viewed with
>> Firefox, font sizes are not correct, margins are not
>> correct, and the repeats on the CSS do not appear to be
>> working properly.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ross
>>

> the site looks the same in FF/SeaMonkey as it does in IE. Try adjusting
> the font to None for Minimum Font Size, and make sure that "allow pages
> to choose their own fonts. . . " is checked.
>
> Otherwise, we need more information than it's not correct. What do you
> mean by that?

The one thing I notice on mine is that when I narrow the window in
Firefox, it will wrap the lines in the main body text to smaller and
smaller lines to try and keep it in the window. Explorer doesn't do
that, but keeps the breaks where the author must have put them. What
controls that setting in Firefox?

Ed Mullen 01-09-2008 08:47 PM

ross m. greenberg wrote:
> Viewing this website (http://www.bovinaupchurch.org) will demonstrate the problem handily: when viewed in Internet Explorer, it appears correctly. When viewed with Firefox, font sizes are not correct, margins are not correct, and the repeats on the CSS do not appear to be working properly.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ross

You're not doing anything wrong. The site has no DOCTYPE so how any
browser renders it is pure chance. It's also a hodge-podge of
javascript and tables for layout with fixed dimensions. There's no way
it can reliably scale to different viewport sizes. It appears to have
been built using a Dreamweaver template by a designer who doesn't have a
clue. Yuck. And, by the way, IE7 has exactly the same problems as
SeaMonkey and Firefox displaying the page.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

John Thompson 01-09-2008 11:03 PM

On 2008-01-09, ross m. greenberg <greenber@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Viewing this website (http://www.bovinaupchurch.org) will demonstrate
> the problem handily: when viewed in Internet Explorer, it appears
> correctly. When viewed with Firefox, font sizes are not correct,
> margins are not correct, and the repeats on the CSS do not appear to
> be working properly.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

The W3C validator service identifies several problems, the most
significant of which is probably the lack of a valid DOCTYPE directive,
which makes it hard for a browser to decide how to display the page:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)