Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to isolate wired and wireless computers on a wireless router? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t583246-how-to-isolate-wired-and-wireless-computers-on-a-wireless-router.html)

eassona@hotmail.com 01-08-2008 08:52 PM

How to isolate wired and wireless computers on a wireless router?

I am setting up a wireless hotspot for a friend who owns a small
company. She wants her customers to have access to the internet but
not her internal office LAN. Simply explained:

A -----> C
B -----> C

If A is a computer on the LAN, B is a computer wirelessly connected to
the router and C is the internet access point, then A can talk to C, B
can talk to C, but A cannot talk to B and B cannot talk to A. This
will prevent wireless users gaining access to her LAN.

This is a very small company and they want to implement this cheaply.
Anybody know how to do this?

/Andrew

Mr. Arnold 01-09-2008 11:45 PM

Re: How to isolate wired and wireless computers on a wireless router?

<eassona@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am setting up a wireless hotspot for a friend who owns a small
> company. She wants her customers to have access to the internet but
> not her internal office LAN. Simply explained:
>
> A -----> C
> B -----> C
>
> If A is a computer on the LAN, B is a computer wirelessly connected to
> the router and C is the internet access point, then A can talk to C, B
> can talk to C, but A cannot talk to B and B cannot talk to A. This
> will prevent wireless users gaining access to her LAN.
>
> This is a very small company and they want to implement this cheaply.
> Anybody know how to do this?

alt.internet.wireless is where you'll find people who do this for their
livelihood.

Gaius Baltar 01-11-2008 12:00 AM

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 12:52:03 -0800 (PST), eassona@hotmail.com wrote:

>I am setting up a wireless hotspot for a friend who owns a small
>company. She wants her customers to have access to the internet but
>not her internal office LAN. Simply explained:
>
>A -----> C
>B -----> C
>
>If A is a computer on the LAN, B is a computer wirelessly connected to
>the router and C is the internet access point, then A can talk to C, B
>can talk to C, but A cannot talk to B and B cannot talk to A. This
>will prevent wireless users gaining access to her LAN.
>
>This is a very small company and they want to implement this cheaply.
>Anybody know how to do this?
>
>/Andrew

One way to do it is:

1. Have the "A" PCs use static IPs in the range 192.168.1.1 -
192.168.1.100
2. "B" PCs use dynamic IPs (DHCP enabled on the router) in the range
192.168.1.101 - 192.168.1.200
3. On the "A" PCs, set firewalls to exclude 192.168.1.101 -
192.168.1.200

gb