Velocity Reviews

-   -   Vista Recovery (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t582510-vista-recovery.html)

Jonno 12-29-2007 04:49 AM

Vista Recovery

Is it true with Vista that it takes 9 recovery CD's?

Jonno

Jonno 12-29-2007 05:08 AM

Re: Vista Recovery

"Jonno" <j0nn0@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it true with Vista that it takes 9 recovery CD's?
>
> Jonno

Err, this is not a troll I really want to know. Have a friend with a new PC
and he wants me to do the recovery disks and just want to know how many to
take with me TIA

Jonno

Squiggle 12-29-2007 05:09 AM

Re: Vista Recovery

Jonno wrote:
> "Jonno" <j0nn0@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is it true with Vista that it takes 9 recovery CD's?
>>
>> Jonno
>>

> Err, this is not a troll I really want to know. Have a friend with a new PC
> and he wants me to do the recovery disks and just want to know how many to
> take with me TIA
>
> Jonno

I have no idea what the answer to the question is.. but why not use DVDs?

Jonno 12-29-2007 05:31 AM

Re: Vista Recovery

"Squiggle" <squiggle@in.the.sand> wrote in message
> Jonno wrote:
>> "Jonno" <j0nn0@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Is it true with Vista that it takes 9 recovery CD's?
>>>
>>> Jonno
>>>

>> Err, this is not a troll I really want to know. Have a friend with a new
>> PC and he wants me to do the recovery disks and just want to know how
>> many to take with me TIA
>>
>> Jonno

> I have no idea what the answer to the question is.. but why not use DVDs?

No reason at all. Apparently it specified CD's so I just went along with
that. I'm just a bit surprised that it wants to make over 6 Gigs of recovery
disks. So if anyone has Vista or has made recovery disks for Vista does 6
gigs sound about right for a basic setup of Premium? Thanks.

Jonno

Cima 12-29-2007 05:53 AM

Re: Vista Recovery

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:31:22 +1300, "Jonno" <j0nn0@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>"Squiggle" <squiggle@in.the.sand> wrote in message
>> Jonno wrote:
>>> "Jonno" <j0nn0@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Err, this is not a troll I really want to know. Have a friend with a new
>>> PC and he wants me to do the recovery disks and just want to know how
>>> many to take with me TIA
>>>
>>> Jonno

>> I have no idea what the answer to the question is.. but why not use DVDs?

>No reason at all. Apparently it specified CD's so I just went along with
>that. I'm just a bit surprised that it wants to make over 6 Gigs of recovery
>disks. So if anyone has Vista or has made recovery disks for Vista does 6
>gigs sound about right for a basic setup of Premium? Thanks.
>
>Jonno

My laptop did 2 DVDs for its recovery set (Vista Home Premium).

Might pay you to take 15 or so CDs (just to be sure) if it won't take DVDs. Some
HP's with XP take a dozen CDs to build their set. Takes bloody ages too, so be
prepared for a few hours wait!

E. Scrooge 12-29-2007 06:49 AM

Re: Vista Recovery

"Cima" <wot@not.co> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:31:22 +1300, "Jonno" <j0nn0@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Squiggle" <squiggle@in.the.sand> wrote in message

>>> I have no idea what the answer to the question is.. but why not use
>>> DVDs?

>>No reason at all. Apparently it specified CD's so I just went along with
>>that. I'm just a bit surprised that it wants to make over 6 Gigs of
>>recovery
>>disks. So if anyone has Vista or has made recovery disks for Vista does 6
>>gigs sound about right for a basic setup of Premium? Thanks.
>>
>>Jonno

> My laptop did 2 DVDs for its recovery set (Vista Home Premium).
>
> Might pay you to take 15 or so CDs (just to be sure) if it won't take
> DVDs. Some
> HP's with XP take a dozen CDs to build their set. Takes bloody ages too,
> so be
> prepared for a few hours wait!

That's right about 12 CDs for XP on a HP. I told the friend with it that it
was hardly worth the stuffing round. It would only take one small error to
end up with 12 coasters instead of a back up for XP that might work in a few
years time if ever needed or then again might never work anyway.

E. Scrooge

trueone 12-29-2007 07:44 AM

Re: Vista Recovery

> Is it true with Vista that it takes 9 recovery CD's?
>
> Jonno

Using paragon drive image on my laptop with vista home premium it said it
wanted 18 cd's. DVD was not an option.

I didnt bother. Decided to just reinstall if anything goes wrong but so far
after a year still okay.

Jonno 12-29-2007 09:42 AM

Re: Vista Recovery

"trueone" <trueone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Using paragon drive image on my laptop with vista home premium it said it
> wanted 18 cd's. DVD was not an option.
>
> I didnt bother. Decided to just reinstall if anything goes wrong but so
> far after a year still okay.

Holy Cow. As this aint my machine so I guess I'll just do what it wants.
Thanks for answering.

Jonno

Jonno 12-29-2007 09:45 AM

Re: Vista Recovery

> That's right about 12 CDs for XP on a HP. I told the friend with it that
> it was hardly worth the stuffing round. It would only take one small
> error to end up with 12 coasters instead of a back up for XP that might
> work in a few years time if ever needed or then again might never work
> anyway.
>
> E. Scrooge

I've always used Ghost to back up my own machine and found that to be great.
20 Minutes to reinstall the whole thing.
Thanks for your answer Scroogie

Jonno

Jonno 12-29-2007 09:49 AM

Re: Vista Recovery

"Cima" <wot@not.co> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:31:22 +1300, "Jonno" <j0nn0@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
> wrote:
> My laptop did 2 DVDs for its recovery set (Vista Home Premium).
>
> Might pay you to take 15 or so CDs (just to be sure) if it won't take
> DVDs. Some
> HP's with XP take a dozen CDs to build their set. Takes bloody ages too,
> so be
> prepared for a few hours wait!

Yeah I'll just take a 50 pack in case I have to start again...and a bottle
of wine to wile away the time. Thanks for your answer

Jonno