Velocity Reviews

-   -   Request timeouts - Orcon or Belkin? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t582499-request-timeouts-orcon-or-belkin.html)

ofn01 12-26-2007 06:46 AM

Request timeouts - Orcon or Belkin?

We have a Belkin wired four port ADSL modem/router (connected by ethernet to
the computer), this one here:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=292410

We also have Orcon broadband.

Only had the setup for a couple of weeks, also only been at this location a
couple of weeks. But quite often I find requests simply don't return. If you
hit stop in the browser and refresh then they come back instantly.

If one is timing out (not coming back), you can go to a different tab in
firefox and see that the web is still working fine.

Could this be Orcon or our Belkin ADSL modem/router???

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 12-26-2007 07:09 AM

Re: Request timeouts - Orcon or Belkin?

In article <4771fc6f$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, ofn01 did write:

> But quite often I find requests simply don't return. If
> you hit stop in the browser and refresh then they come back instantly.

I have this happen frequently, too. I'm not on Orcon, and I don't have any
Belkin equipment.

Richard 12-26-2007 07:20 AM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <4771fc6f$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, ofn01 did write:
>
>> But quite often I find requests simply don't return. If
>> you hit stop in the browser and refresh then they come back instantly.

> I have this happen frequently, too. I'm not on Orcon, and I don't have any
> Belkin equipment.

We are on orcon without a belin and it happens so seldom not to be an
issue realy. My webmail which refreshes every 30 seconds will go to a
timeout page once every few days and thats about it. I just blamed
firefox since its clearly not retrying properly to connect if that is
happening.

Matty F 12-27-2007 12:49 AM

On Dec 26, 8:20*pm, Richard <r...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > In article <4771fc6...@news.orcon.net.nz>, ofn01 did write:

> >> But quite often I find requests simply don't return. If
> >> you hit stop in the browser and refresh then they come back instantly.

> > I have this happen frequently, too. I'm not on Orcon, and I don't have any
> > Belkin equipment.

> We are on orcon without a belin and it happens so seldom not to be an
> issue realy. My webmail which refreshes every 30 seconds will go to a
> timeout page once every few days and thats about it. I just blamed
> firefox since its clearly not retrying properly to connect if that is
> happening.

I had similar problems with Firefox and IE, and I could get instantly
to the same websites with Opera and Mozilla. I never did work out what
the problem was. My Mozilla is now too out of date for many websites,
so I use Opera first and otherwise IE and just wait.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 12-27-2007 05:55 AM

Re: Request timeouts - Orcon or Belkin?

In article
<8c8aee8a-2833-4fdf-9d83-7c56eb464859@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Matty
F did write:

> My Mozilla is now too out of date for many websites ...

Why not update to Firefox?

Matty F 12-27-2007 08:36 AM

Re: Request timeouts - Orcon or Belkin?

On Dec 27, 6:55*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In article
> <8c8aee8a-2833-4fdf-9d83-7c56eb464...@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Matty
> F did write:
>
> > My Mozilla is now too out of date for many websites ...

> Why not update to Firefox?

As I said, I tried Firefox and it had regular delays of around 30
seconds. Nobody seemed to be able to help so I uninstalled it. Opera
works very well most of the time except that Xtra Bubble doesn't
support anything but Firefox and IE, which may prompt me to go to
another ISP one day. Xtra please note.

sam 12-27-2007 07:28 PM

Matty F wrote:
> On Dec 27, 6:55 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> In article
>> <8c8aee8a-2833-4fdf-9d83-7c56eb464...@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Matty
>> F did write:
>>
>>> My Mozilla is now too out of date for many websites ...

>> Why not update to Firefox?

> As I said, I tried Firefox and it had regular delays of around 30
> seconds. Nobody seemed to be able to help so I uninstalled it. Opera
> works very well most of the time except that Xtra Bubble doesn't
> support anything but Firefox and IE, which may prompt me to go to
> another ISP one day. Xtra please note.

The delay that you are seeing with firefox may be it because its default
is to wait until the page is fully loaded before rendering it. Using Ad
blocker helps, also there are some settings you can tweak.
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/ffconfig.php

Matty F 12-27-2007 09:03 PM

On Dec 28, 8:28*am, sam <s...@green.eggs.ham> wrote:

> The delay that you are seeing with firefox may be it because its default
> is to wait until the page is fully loaded before rendering it. Using Ad
> blocker helps, also there are some settings you can tweak.http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...b/ffconfig.php

The delay I'm talking about occurs with both Firefox and IE, but never
occurs with Mozilla and Opera. I've just tried IE again, looking at
the Herald site. The first three article links loaded fine. After
clicking on the fourth article, absolutley nothing happened for 28
seconds, i.e. nothing went to or from the modem, then the page
suddenly loaded correctly in a couple of seconds.

I tried it again. This time using IE the 8th Herald article was
delayed for about 30 seconds. In the meantime using Opera I had
clicked on that identical article, which finished arriving in a couple
of seconds. 25 seconds after Opera had finished, the IE version of the
article arrived.

So to summarise, using IE or Firefox, every 4th to 8th link that I
click on (on almost any website) has a delay of around 30 seconds
before any data transfer occurs at all. Absolutely nothing happens for
30 seconds. It is not waiting "to fully load the page" because it has
not even started loading anything at all for 30 seconds.

This delay problem does not happen at all with Opera and Mozilla 1.5
so I still use those instead of IE and Firefox. The problem is that
Xtra in their idiocy have decided that their webmail will only work
with IE and Firefox and don't seem to be interested in allowing other
browsers. However I can reconfigure Opera so that it pretends to be
IE, so all is not lost. But I should not have to do that should I?

ofn01 12-27-2007 09:12 PM

"ofn01" <somewhere@nowhere.not.nz> wrote in message
> We have a Belkin wired four port ADSL modem/router (connected by ethernet
> to the computer), this one here:
> http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=292410
>
> We also have Orcon broadband.
>
> Only had the setup for a couple of weeks, also only been at this location
> a couple of weeks. But quite often I find requests simply don't return. If
> you hit stop in the browser and refresh then they come back instantly.

For the timebeing I have upgraded to the latest firmware and things seem to
be going a bit better.

whoisthis 12-27-2007 09:24 PM

<dca8859d-c191-494e-ad29-cb4092fe6568@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
Matty F <mattyf9265@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 6:55*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> > In article
> > <8c8aee8a-2833-4fdf-9d83-7c56eb464...@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Matty
> > F did write:
> >
> > > My Mozilla is now too out of date for many websites ...

> > Why not update to Firefox?

> As I said, I tried Firefox and it had regular delays of around 30
> seconds. Nobody seemed to be able to help so I uninstalled it. Opera
> works very well most of the time except that Xtra Bubble doesn't
> support anything but Firefox and IE, which may prompt me to go to
> another ISP one day. Xtra please note.

Xtra bubble DOES work with other browsers, I use Safari under OSX all of
the time. You just need to get you browser to lie and say it is IE for
the first time, then simply ignore the warning after that.