Velocity Reviews

-   -   Replacement rubbers for earbuds (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t582444-replacement-rubbers-for-earbuds.html)

BTMO 12-11-2007 06:45 PM

Replacement rubbers for earbuds

Folks - does anyone know where to find replacement rubbers for in-ear
earbuds? I mean the really small, really comfy, really squishy ones.

There seems to be some sort of global conspiracy - when you buy the
earphones, you get a small, medium and large set, but they invariably pop
off and vanish, and you are soon left with an unusable set of earphones.

Given they go deep in the ear, they get nasty after a while, a ready (ready
but affordable!! apparently Sony DO sell them - but it is cheaper to by new
earphones than sony replacement accessories!) supply of new parts would make
a lot of sense.

So far I have tried trademe, the warehouse, harvey norman, norman ross, dick
smith, and several places overseas while I was there. No one seems to sell
them!

Cheers,

Brenton

sam 12-11-2007 08:35 PM

Re: Replacement rubbers for earbuds

BTMO wrote:
> Folks - does anyone know where to find replacement rubbers for in-ear
> earbuds? I mean the really small, really comfy, really squishy ones.
>
> There seems to be some sort of global conspiracy - when you buy the
> earphones, you get a small, medium and large set, but they invariably pop
> off and vanish, and you are soon left with an unusable set of earphones.
>
> Given they go deep in the ear, they get nasty after a while, a ready (ready
> but affordable!! apparently Sony DO sell them - but it is cheaper to by new
> earphones than sony replacement accessories!) supply of new parts would make
> a lot of sense.
>
> So far I have tried trademe, the warehouse, harvey norman, norman ross, dick
> smith, and several places overseas while I was there. No one seems to sell
> them!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brenton

Shure are another brand, their tips fit a few different brands of driver.
http://www.jands.co.nz/index.php/ps_...tockcode/EA306
http://www.jands.co.nz/index.php/ps_...pi_brandid/109

~misfit~ 12-11-2007 10:45 PM

Re: Replacement rubbers for earbuds

Somewhere on teh interweb BTMO typed:
> Folks - does anyone know where to find replacement rubbers for in-ear
> earbuds? I mean the really small, really comfy, really squishy ones.
>
> There seems to be some sort of global conspiracy - when you buy the
> earphones, you get a small, medium and large set, but they invariably
> pop off and vanish, and you are soon left with an unusable set of
> earphones.
> Given they go deep in the ear, they get nasty after a while, a ready
> (ready but affordable!! apparently Sony DO sell them - but it is
> cheaper to by new earphones than sony replacement accessories!)
> supply of new parts would make a lot of sense.
>
> So far I have tried trademe, the warehouse, harvey norman, norman
> ross, dick smith, and several places overseas while I was there. No
> one seems to sell them!

I saw some in a $2 shop a couple years ago. Don't know if you'd still find
them of even what quality they'd be.

I talked my flatmate into an over-ear neckband type Sennheiser headset. More
hygenic and far less damaging for your ears. Sound freaking awesome too.
--
Cheers deaf-ears. <g>

Shaun.

Adam Cameron 12-11-2007 11:18 PM

Re: Replacement rubbers for earbuds

As with everything else these days... Amazon? That's where I got my
replacement ones from (.co.uk in my case). Cost 6 but, which was a bit of
a ****take for half a dozen bits of rubber, four of which I didn't want.
God knows what six quid would equate to in Pacific Pesos by the time you
landed 'em though. Still: if all else fails, you CAN get hold of 'em
there.

--
Adam

Mark Bondurant 12-11-2007 11:30 PM

On Dec 11, 10:45 am, "BTMO" <b...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Folks - does anyone know where to find replacement rubbers for in-ear
> earbuds? I mean the really small, really comfy, really squishy ones.
>
> There seems to be some sort of global conspiracy - when you buy the
> earphones, you get a small, medium and large set, but they invariably pop
> off and vanish, and you are soon left with an unusable set of earphones.
>
> Given they go deep in the ear, they get nasty after a while, a ready (ready
> but affordable!! apparently Sony DO sell them - but it is cheaper to by new
> earphones than sony replacement accessories!) supply of new parts would make
> a lot of sense.
>
> So far I have tried trademe, the warehouse, harvey norman, norman ross, dick
> smith, and several places overseas while I was there. No one seems to sell
> them!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brenton

I thought they promised to pull out.

Mark

none 12-12-2007 01:15 AM

BTMO wrote:
> Given they go deep in the ear, they get nasty after a while, a ready (ready
> but affordable!! apparently Sony DO sell them - but it is cheaper to by new
> earphones than sony replacement accessories!) supply of new parts would make
> a lot of sense.

If you have a full blown Sony store (Sony Style or w/e), I have heard of
a couple of people that have gone in there and just been given them for
free.

sam 12-12-2007 01:15 AM

BTMO wrote:
> Folks - does anyone know where to find replacement rubbers for in-ear
> earbuds? I mean the really small, really comfy, really squishy ones.
>
> There seems to be some sort of global conspiracy - when you buy the
> earphones, you get a small, medium and large set, but they invariably pop
> off and vanish, and you are soon left with an unusable set of earphones.
>
> Given they go deep in the ear, they get nasty after a while, a ready (ready
> but affordable!! apparently Sony DO sell them - but it is cheaper to by new
> earphones than sony replacement accessories!) supply of new parts would make
> a lot of sense.
>
> So far I have tried trademe, the warehouse, harvey norman, norman ross, dick
> smith, and several places overseas while I was there. No one seems to sell
> them!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brenton

What brand ?

BTMO 12-12-2007 03:58 AM

Re: Replacement rubbers for earbuds

"sam" <sam@green.eggs.ham> wrote

>> Folks - does anyone know where to find replacement rubbers for in-ear
>> earbuds? I mean the really small, really comfy, really squishy ones.
>>
>> There seems to be some sort of global conspiracy - when you buy the
>> earphones, you get a small, medium and large set, but they invariably pop
>> off and vanish, and you are soon left with an unusable set of earphones.
>>
>> Given they go deep in the ear, they get nasty after a while, a ready
>> (ready but affordable!! apparently Sony DO sell them - but it is cheaper
>> to by new earphones than sony replacement accessories!) supply of new
>> parts would make a lot of sense.
>>
>> So far I have tried trademe, the warehouse, harvey norman, norman ross,
>> dick smith, and several places overseas while I was there. No one seems
>> to sell them!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Brenton

> Shure are another brand, their tips fit a few different brands of driver.
> http://www.jands.co.nz/index.php/ps_...tockcode/EA306
> http://www.jands.co.nz/index.php/ps_...pi_brandid/109

Hmmm.. same problem as the sony ones, really.

$35 for about 12 cents worth of rubber...

BTMO 12-12-2007 03:59 AM

Re: Replacement rubbers for earbuds

"Adam Cameron" <> wrote

> As with everything else these days... Amazon? That's where I got my
> replacement ones from (.co.uk in my case). Cost 6 but, which was a bit
> of
> a ****take for half a dozen bits of rubber, four of which I didn't want.
> God knows what six quid would equate to in Pacific Pesos by the time you
> landed 'em though. Still: if all else fails, you CAN get hold of 'em
> there.

:-)

It is cheaper to buy the cheap earphones, toss away everything *except* the
rubber bits and carry on...

BTMO 12-12-2007 04:03 AM

Re: Replacement rubbers for earbuds

"none" <none@none.none> wrote

> BTMO wrote:
>> Given they go deep in the ear, they get nasty after a while, a ready
>> (ready but affordable!! apparently Sony DO sell them - but it is cheaper
>> to by new earphones than sony replacement accessories!) supply of new
>> parts would make a lot of sense.

> If you have a full blown Sony store (Sony Style or w/e), I have heard of a
> couple of people that have gone in there and just been given them for
> free.

Which reminds me...

When I was in Turkey a couple of weeks ago, I went into a swatch shop in
Istanbul. I needed a piece for my partner's watch band - she had left the
watch where I could stand on it...

Using a combination of finger pointing and hand signals, I got across to the
shop assistant what I needed and what model, and he got one out of the
spares box they had in the office.

I took out my wallet and offered to pay him, and he just smiled and placed
his hands over his heart and nodded to me.

I really like the turks...

:-)

Oh, and I would rather not rely on the good graces of Wellington sony sales
drones. (not sony earphones for one thing!)