Velocity Reviews

-   -   What not to buy (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t582439-what-not-to-buy.html)

thingy 12-09-2007 11:31 PM

What not to buy

So forget WD drives....

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...led_harddrive/

regards

thing

impossible 12-10-2007 01:37 AM

Re: What not to buy

"thingy" <thingy@not.here.commy> wrote in message
news:1gau25-024.ln1@news.vuw.ac.nz...
> So forget WD drives....
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...led_harddrive/

Just another Register troll. Why do people even read that net rag? And I
don't suppose you bothered to check even one fact before deciding to start a
WD boycott. Did you? Geesh!! How naive can anyone be?

Adam 12-10-2007 03:07 AM

Re: What not to buy

impossible wrote:

> Just another Register troll. Why do people even read that net rag? And I
> don't suppose you bothered to check even one fact before deciding to start
> a WD boycott. Did you? Geesh!! How naive can anyone be?

Well, the facts remain.

So too with Seagate here,
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...te-snubs-linux

Now whether the Register or anyone else reports it,
is surely hardly the issue.

Just the Mac & Linux users chewing it over.

impossible 12-10-2007 03:55 AM

Re: What not to buy

"Adam" <nospam@example.com> wrote in message
> impossible wrote:
>
>> Just another Register troll. Why do people even read that net rag? And I
>> don't suppose you bothered to check even one fact before deciding to
>> start
>> a WD boycott. Did you? Geesh!! How naive can anyone be?

> Well, the facts remain.

What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
hard drive package respects the law on DRM?

> So too with Seagate here,
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...te-snubs-linux

What facts? That Seagate markets its external hard drives to a mass market
of Windows users?

> Now whether the Register or anyone else reports it,
> is surely hardly the issue.
>
> Just the Mac & Linux users chewing it over.

Nah, just the Register finding some reason to be.

frederick 12-10-2007 07:30 AM

Re: What not to buy

impossible wrote:

> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?

What "law"?

impossible 12-10-2007 03:45 PM

Re: What not to buy

"frederick" <lost@sea.com> wrote in message
> impossible wrote:
>

>> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
>> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?
>>

> What "law"?

US and EU copyright law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

thingy 12-10-2007 08:21 PM

Re: What not to buy

impossible wrote:
> "frederick" <lost@sea.com> wrote in message
>> impossible wrote:
>>
>>> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
>>> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?
>>>

>> What "law"?

> US and EU copyright law.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

No,

The WD blocks even legit video.......so it is perfectly reasonable to
look and say, oh this does not meet my needs as a user....so it is
perfectly legit to boycott crap products that shaft us the consumer.

As a legit user of home grown video and images I don't want some dumb
software blocking me from doing/displaying my work.

regards

Thing

thingy 12-10-2007 08:26 PM

Re: What not to buy

impossible wrote:
> "Adam" <nospam@example.com> wrote in message
>> impossible wrote:
>>
>>> Just another Register troll. Why do people even read that net rag? And I
>>> don't suppose you bothered to check even one fact before deciding to
>>> start
>>> a WD boycott. Did you? Geesh!! How naive can anyone be?

>> Well, the facts remain.
>>

> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?

There is no law on DRM, in fact DRM contravenes copyright law by taking
away the balance that was part of the law.

>> So too with Seagate here,
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...te-snubs-linux
>>

> What facts? That Seagate markets its external hard drives to a mass market
> of Windows users?

If they want to be that dumb.....considering MAC users probably are more
affluent and "discerning" purchasers of "quality" kit.....shooting
oneself in the foot like this is plain stupid IMHO.

regards

Thing

frederick 12-10-2007 09:07 PM

Re: What not to buy

impossible wrote:
> "frederick" <lost@sea.com> wrote in message
>> impossible wrote:
>>
>>> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
>>> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?
>>>

>> What "law"?

> US and EU copyright law.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Ok thanks - I get it.
So - a company which makes ginsu steak knives with rubber blades
"respects the law" wrt preventing stabbing homicide.

impossible 12-10-2007 09:22 PM

Re: What not to buy

> impossible wrote:
>> "frederick" <lost@sea.com> wrote in message

>>> What "law"?

>> US and EU copyright law.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

> No,
>
> The WD blocks even legit video.......so it is perfectly reasonable to look
> and say, oh this does not meet my needs as a user....so it is perfectly
> legit to boycott crap products that shaft us the consumer.

You didn't say, "Boycott this product...". You said, "forget WD". There's a
big difference. Are you seriously suggesting that people should boycott all
WD drives because the third-party software on one product is not to your
liking?

> As a legit user of home grown video and images I don't want some dumb
> software blocking me from doing/displaying my work.

Well, first of all, that software won't prevent you from "doing/displaying"
your work. It simply prevents users who connect to your drive through that
software from sharing those files. If you'd bothered to read investigate
beyond the Register troll-bait, you'd have noticed that. In any case, if you
don't like that "feature" -- and neither do I, btw -- then don't buy that
product, it'as simple as that. Standard WD drives are just fine, don't you
think?