Velocity Reviews

-   -   Telstra Clear broadband (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t582436-telstra-clear-broadband.html)

Jerry 12-09-2007 06:26 AM

Telstra Clear broadband

I got the following letter today:

*important information regarding your broadband service*

Over the last twelve months there has been a huge increase in the number
of customers subscribing to the TelstraClear InHome broadband service.

Unfortunately this growth is currently resulting in speeds for some
customers on our 10Mbps plans being less than expected, particularly at
peak times.

We are working on installing new equipment to address the current
situation but this will not be resolved in full until early next year.

To make up for this situation we have decided to automatically credit
your account with $10 each month until this new equipment is installed.
This credit will take place from your next billing cycle. Throughout
this period you will continue to get the same amount of usage included
with your plan and your email will be unaffected.

We appreciate your patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards.....

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 12-09-2007 06:43 AM

Re: Telstra Clear broadband

In article <475b8aab$1@clear.net.nz>, Jerry did write:

> To make up for this situation we have decided to automatically credit
> your account with $10 each month until this new equipment is installed.

Makes a pleasant, if surprising change when companies actually make an
effort to show their customers that they care, doesn't it. :)

sam 12-09-2007 07:21 AM

Re: Telstra Clear broadband

Jerry wrote:
> I got the following letter today:
>
> *important information regarding your broadband service*
>
> Over the last twelve months there has been a huge increase in the number
> of customers subscribing to the TelstraClear InHome broadband service.
>
> Unfortunately this growth is currently resulting in speeds for some
> customers on our 10Mbps plans being less than expected, particularly at
> peak times.
>
> We are working on installing new equipment to address the current
> situation but this will not be resolved in full until early next year.
>
> To make up for this situation we have decided to automatically credit
> your account with $10 each month until this new equipment is installed.
> This credit will take place from your next billing cycle. Throughout
> this period you will continue to get the same amount of usage included
> with your plan and your email will be unaffected.
>
> We appreciate your patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
>
> Kind Regards.....

Its not the speeds, its the outages that are the problem.
When I asked if they would rebate dialup charges when their cable
service failed so I had to connect with them via dialup, their helpdesk
refused and said their T&C doesn't guarantee a fault free service so
they are not obligated to do anything. This was after 2 extended outages
in a day, and regular extended outages recently.
Their helpdesk reponse time was at 70 minutes so there must be a hell of
a lot of people in the same predicament.
I haven't received their rebate offer and I don't think extended outages
are good enough regardless.

Donchano 12-09-2007 07:40 AM

Re: Telstra Clear broadband

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:43:38 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> magnanimously proffered:

>In article <475b8aab$1@clear.net.nz>, Jerry did write:
>
>> To make up for this situation we have decided to automatically credit
>> your account with $10 each month until this new equipment is installed.

>Makes a pleasant, if surprising change when companies actually make an
>effort to show their customers that they care, doesn't it. :)

And actually admit to there being a problem, rather than being forced
to admit it after denying it's existence - like the spin merchants at
Xtra.

Jerry 12-09-2007 08:12 AM

Re: Telstra Clear broadband

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <475b8aab$1@clear.net.nz>, Jerry did write:
>
>> To make up for this situation we have decided to automatically credit
>> your account with $10 each month until this new equipment is installed.

> Makes a pleasant, if surprising change when companies actually make an
> effort to show their customers that they care, doesn't it. :)

Yep, I was pleasantly surprised :)

Mark Robinson 12-09-2007 09:19 AM

Re: Telstra Clear broadband

sam wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
>> I got the following letter today:
>>
>> *important information regarding your broadband service*
>>
>> Over the last twelve months there has been a huge increase in the
>> number of customers subscribing to the TelstraClear InHome broadband
>> service.
>>
>> Unfortunately this growth is currently resulting in speeds for some
>> customers on our 10Mbps plans being less than expected, particularly
>> at peak times.
>>
>> We are working on installing new equipment to address the current
>> situation but this will not be resolved in full until early next year.
>>
>> To make up for this situation we have decided to automatically credit
>> your account with $10 each month until this new equipment is
>> installed. This credit will take place from your next billing cycle.
>> Throughout this period you will continue to get the same amount of
>> usage included with your plan and your email will be unaffected.
>>
>> We appreciate your patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
>>
>> Kind Regards.....

> Its not the speeds, its the outages that are the problem.
> When I asked if they would rebate dialup charges when their cable
> service failed so I had to connect with them via dialup, their helpdesk
> refused and said their T&C doesn't guarantee a fault free service so
> they are not obligated to do anything. This was after 2 extended outages
> in a day, and regular extended outages recently.
> Their helpdesk reponse time was at 70 minutes so there must be a hell of
> a lot of people in the same predicament.
> I haven't received their rebate offer and I don't think extended outages
> are good enough regardless.

Confirmed and seconded.

I recently had use of a slingshot adsl connection in a small provincial town
for a few weeks: Considerably cheaper, twice as fast and with the same quota as
the Telstra cable connection I usually use.

Telstra refuse to provide any backup power for their remote demuxes and line
amplifiers so they all go down in a power cut as well as regular unannounced
planned outages for maintenance and level checking. Mosts telephone exchanges
have good backup power systems so adsl connections served directly by these
exchanges remain up in power cuts.

CM 12-09-2007 09:37 AM

Re: Telstra Clear broadband

On 9 Dec, 19:26, Jerry <sto...@nospamm.paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> I got the following letter today:
>
> *important information regarding your broadband service*
>
> Over the last twelve months there has been a huge increase in the number
> of customers subscribing to the TelstraClear InHome broadband service.
>
> Unfortunately this growth is currently resulting in speeds for some
> customers on our 10Mbps plans being less than expected, particularly at
> peak times.
>
> We are working on installing new equipment to address the current
> situation but this will not be resolved in full until early next year.
>
> To make up for this situation we have decided to automatically credit
> your account with $10 each month until this new equipment is installed.
> This credit will take place from your next billing cycle. Throughout
> this period you will continue to get the same amount of usage included
> with your plan and your email will be unaffected.
>
> We appreciate your patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
>
> Kind Regards.....

Thank your lucky starrs that the Telstra Clear gods felt you worthy to
be compensated at all. While outages etc are nothing but a pain in
the arse, it's the general summary of telecommunications in this
country (broadband particularly). Personally I'm with Xtra and
they're about the same.

no one@noone.cnn 12-09-2007 12:08 PM

Re: Telstra Clear broadband

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:19:11 +1300, Mark Robinson <usenet@blackhole.zl2tod.net> wrote:

>sam wrote:
>> Jerry wrote:
>>> I got the following letter today:
>>>
>>> *important information regarding your broadband service*
>>>
>>> Over the last twelve months there has been a huge increase in the
>>> number of customers subscribing to the TelstraClear InHome broadband
>>> service.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately this growth is currently resulting in speeds for some
>>> customers on our 10Mbps plans being less than expected, particularly
>>> at peak times.
>>>
>>> We are working on installing new equipment to address the current
>>> situation but this will not be resolved in full until early next year.
>>>
>>> To make up for this situation we have decided to automatically credit
>>> your account with $10 each month until this new equipment is
>>> installed. This credit will take place from your next billing cycle.
>>> Throughout this period you will continue to get the same amount of
>>> usage included with your plan and your email will be unaffected.
>>>
>>> We appreciate your patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
>>>
>>> Kind Regards.....

>> Its not the speeds, its the outages that are the problem.
>> When I asked if they would rebate dialup charges when their cable
>> service failed so I had to connect with them via dialup, their helpdesk
>> refused and said their T&C doesn't guarantee a fault free service so
>> they are not obligated to do anything. This was after 2 extended outages
>> in a day, and regular extended outages recently.
>> Their helpdesk reponse time was at 70 minutes so there must be a hell of
>> a lot of people in the same predicament.
>> I haven't received their rebate offer and I don't think extended outages
>> are good enough regardless.

>Confirmed and seconded.
>
>I recently had use of a slingshot adsl connection in a small provincial town
>for a few weeks: Considerably cheaper, twice as fast and with the same quota as
>the Telstra cable connection I usually use.
>
>Telstra refuse to provide any backup power for their remote demuxes and line
>amplifiers so they all go down in a power cut as well as regular unannounced
>planned outages for maintenance and level checking. Mosts telephone exchanges
>have good backup power systems so adsl connections served directly by these
>exchanges remain up in power cuts.

In Kapiti the phones go down when their is a power outage..

Plus me thinks you are asking far to much and the cost would be massive, may be you just don't have
a clue, here all of Kapiti would have to have a Total back up system.

Just a thought is your house have a UPS system..?

If not shut up..

Jonathan Walker 12-09-2007 05:36 PM

Re: Telstra Clear broadband

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:08:31 +1300, no one wrote:

> In Kapiti the phones go down when their is a power outage..

Then there is something wrong in the exchange.

Exchanges are *supposed* to have extremely large batteries that run the
*entire* telephone system.

The telephone system is supposed to stay usable in the event of a power
outage.

--
Jonathan Walker

Cima 12-09-2007 08:38 PM

Re: Telstra Clear broadband

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:08:31 +1300, no one@noone.cnn wrote:

>Just a thought is your house have a UPS system..?
>
>If not shut up..

Charming Woger...