Velocity Reviews

-   -   Supreme Commander on dual core AMD cpu....have I missed something? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t582304-supreme-commander-on-dual-core-amd-cpu-have-i-missed-something.html)

thingy 11-08-2007 07:27 PM

Supreme Commander on dual core AMD cpu....have I missed something?

Running an AMD 6000x2 but I notice its only using 1 cpu (which is at 95%
while the second shows 5%).....

yet BF2142 runs on both CPUs at 50% (ish) each....and runs very
well...impressed in fact....

So is there a patch or click box I am missing? SC is patched fully...

Tried Googling no joy so far...

regards

Thing

Puddle 11-08-2007 08:24 PM

Re: Supreme Commander on dual core AMD cpu....have I missed something?

thingy wrote:
> Running an AMD 6000x2 but I notice its only using 1 cpu (which is at 95%
> while the second shows 5%).....
>
> yet BF2142 runs on both CPUs at 50% (ish) each....and runs very
> well...impressed in fact....
>
> So is there a patch or click box I am missing? SC is patched fully...
>
> Tried Googling no joy so far...
>
> regards
>
> Thing

I remember stumbling on a forum where people were talking about this.
Someone was saying that one core is used for the majority of the work
and the other cores are used for only minor things.. whether that be
true or not I am not sure..

Perhaps Forged Alliance will fix things, they reckon the Forged Alliance
actually runs a bit quicker than SC. It is available now at your local
torrent and in shops in the USA... but sadly and stupidly won't be out
in NZ until late November...

Puddle 11-08-2007 08:26 PM

thingy wrote:
> Running an AMD 6000x2 but I notice its only using 1 cpu (which is at 95%
> while the second shows 5%).....
>
> yet BF2142 runs on both CPUs at 50% (ish) each....and runs very
> well...impressed in fact....
>
> So is there a patch or click box I am missing? SC is patched fully...
>
> Tried Googling no joy so far...
>
> regards
>
> Thing

This maybe of interest..
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

thingy 11-08-2007 08:38 PM

Puddle wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> Running an AMD 6000x2 but I notice its only using 1 cpu (which is at
>> 95% while the second shows 5%).....
>>
>> yet BF2142 runs on both CPUs at 50% (ish) each....and runs very
>> well...impressed in fact....
>>
>> So is there a patch or click box I am missing? SC is patched fully...
>>
>> Tried Googling no joy so far...
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> This maybe of interest..
> http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

yeah I found this plus a few MS KBs and something called maximiser....

So I have a few things to try....

regards

Thing

thingy 11-12-2007 08:17 PM

Puddle wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> Running an AMD 6000x2 but I notice its only using 1 cpu (which is at
>> 95% while the second shows 5%).....
>>
>> yet BF2142 runs on both CPUs at 50% (ish) each....and runs very
>> well...impressed in fact....
>>
>> So is there a patch or click box I am missing? SC is patched fully...
>>
>> Tried Googling no joy so far...
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> This maybe of interest..
> http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

Tried playing SC over the weekend....the first cpu stayed at about
90~95% and the second one ramped up as the game progressed getting to
about 40% (at max units allowed) at which point there was some minor
issues with trying to get units to move....(but that might have been me)...

So SC seems to use/balance the cpus in a way I have never seen
before.....most games and other apps seem to balance roughly, say 60~70%
for one with 30~40% on the other and then ramp up together.....

regards

Thing