Velocity Reviews

-   -   Microsoft apologizes for update blunder (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t582258-microsoft-apologizes-for-update-blunder.html)

Greg House 10-31-2007 04:45 AM

Microsoft apologizes for update blunder

Seems that most people that replied to my post did not even read the articles and that they were all
wrong in there assumptions.

Microsoft has apologized for a Windows Server update that automatically installed the Windows
Desktop Search (WDS) tool on users' desktops without approval.

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...2033875,00.htm

Dave Doe 10-31-2007 05:06 AM

Re: Microsoft apologizes for update blunder

In article <3v1gi3dglt0phqeialaa0q23fm3hrov9du@4ax.com>,
ghouse@yabadabado.cnn says...

> Seems that most people that replied to my post did not even read the articles and that they were all
> wrong in there assumptions.
>

> Microsoft has apologized for a Windows Server update that automatically installed the Windows
> Desktop Search (WDS) tool on users' desktops without approval.
>
> http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...2033875,00.htm

You obviously haven't used WSUS V3 - it installs updates automatically
to workstations, AFTER AN ADMIN PERSON APPROVES THEM.

Only critical updates are auto approved by WSUS (and only if you set
WSUS up that way).

eg. the search tool was not installed on any networks I support.

If you bother to read the article you've referred to, you'll fuken read
that.

But still, yep, it's a blunder by MS, not the "automatically install"
thing, but that Windows Desktop Search is flawed in the way it works on
networks (domain type networks).

And that (the above) is not clear in the MS docs - so admin/support folk
would have approved it, and brought the network to it's knees (with no
idea that was going to happen).

Yer with me now Woger?

--
Duncan

Dave Doe 10-31-2007 05:08 AM

Re: Microsoft apologizes for update blunder

In article <MPG.2192d48225163a66989898@news.paradise.net.nz >,
hard@work.ok says...
> In article <3v1gi3dglt0phqeialaa0q23fm3hrov9du@4ax.com>,
> ghouse@yabadabado.cnn says...
> >

> > Seems that most people that replied to my post did not even read the articles and that they were all
> > wrong in there assumptions.
> >

> > Microsoft has apologized for a Windows Server update that automatically installed the Windows
> > Desktop Search (WDS) tool on users' desktops without approval.
> >
> > http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...2033875,00.htm

> You obviously haven't used WSUS V3 - it installs updates automatically
> to workstations, AFTER AN ADMIN PERSON APPROVES THEM.
>
> Only critical updates are auto approved by WSUS (and only if you set
> WSUS up that way).
>
> eg. the search tool was not installed on any networks I support.
>
> If you bother to read the article you've referred to, you'll fuken read
> that.
>
> But still, yep, it's a blunder by MS, not the "automatically install"
> thing, but that Windows Desktop Search is flawed in the way it works on
> networks (domain type networks).
>
> And that (the above) is not clear in the MS docs - so admin/support folk
> would have approved it, and brought the network to it's knees (with no
> idea that was going to happen).

And only if they had document redirection in place.

--
Duncan