Velocity Reviews

-   -   HttpModule for ASP and ASP.NET URL filtering (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t58219-httpmodule-for-asp-and-asp-net-url-filtering.html)

Jon Sequeira 06-25-2003 06:46 PM

HttpModule for ASP and ASP.NET URL filtering

I'm interested in writing an HttpModule to clean up URLs for a site that's
in a transitional phase from ASP to ASP.NET. Basically, I'd like to hide
some very messy querystrings (which are Google-proof-- they use GUIDs as
query parameters) and use more memorable names in the URLs.

I'd like this module to work for both ASP and ASP.NET pages in the site. I
understand basically how to do this for my .aspx pages, but how do I tell
IIS to pass .asp page requests through my ASP.NET module for URL rewriting,
and then on to the standard ASP handler?

Any insights are appreciated.

--Jon

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\) 06-25-2003 08:46 PM

Re: HttpModule for ASP and ASP.NET URL filtering

I've seen this asked a few times but never seen it work. ASP would have to
be pointed to the ASP.NET ISAPI handler in IIS, then you would need to
remove the block in machine.config (cant remember the exact setting) that
dissallows processing of ASP pages by ASP.NET. Potentially the handler
could intercept the URL request before it realised the target page contained
ASP and redirect accordingly.

Look at the App Mappings section of your web application to see and change
what the extensions are mapped too.

--
Regards

John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)
<shameless_author_plug>
ISBN:1-861007-91-4
Professional Windows Forms
ISBN: 1861005547
Professional JSP 2nd Edition
ISBN: 1861004958
Professional JSP
ISBN: 1861003625
Beginning JSP Web Development
ISBN: 1861002092
</shameless_author_plug>

Jon Sequeira 06-26-2003 02:39 AM

Re: HttpModule for ASP and ASP.NET URL filtering

Thanks, John.

In researching this, I've come across at least one reference implying that
this limitation was going to be addressed and fixed in IIS6. Do you know
anything about that?

--Jon

gerry 06-26-2003 03:36 PM

Re: HttpModule for ASP and ASP.NET URL filtering

you use ISAPI filters to do this type of url-rewriting before anything hist
asp or asp.net
search msdn for atl sample ISAPIfilter