Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   How to prolong HDD life? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t582110-how-to-prolong-hdd-life.html)

Nighthawk 09-28-2007 03:03 PM

How to prolong HDD life?
 
After a slight gliche today I decided to check the SMART state of my
hard drive. My 160GB Samsung SP1614N has been very good and fitness
and performance always came up at 100% but today I found performance
down to 98% and fitness down to 97%. I used the online analysis on
the SMART tab in SpeedFan and it indicated the area of concern was the
power-on hours. I had been using it 24/7, with P2P. With P2P running
constantly the drive never went into sleep mode. With the recent
demise of the fixed IP servers on the eDonkey network I have decided
to discontinue with P2P.

What I was wondering was, which is better: turning off the computer or
letting the drive go into sleep mode, or keeping it running
continually, though there is no disc activity? Which would actually
be more strenuous on it?

I gather powering up or spinning up a drive is stressful for it?



peterwn 09-28-2007 06:56 PM

Re: How to prolong HDD life?
 
On Sep 29, 3:03 am, Nighthawk <nighth...@allo.com> wrote:
> After a slight gliche today I decided to check the SMART state of my
> hard drive. My 160GB Samsung SP1614N has been very good and fitness
> and performance always came up at 100% but today I found performance
> down to 98% and fitness down to 97%. I used the online analysis on
> the SMART tab in SpeedFan and it indicated the area of concern was the
> power-on hours. I had been using it 24/7, with P2P. With P2P running
> constantly the drive never went into sleep mode. With the recent
> demise of the fixed IP servers on the eDonkey network I have decided
> to discontinue with P2P.
>
> What I was wondering was, which is better: turning off the computer or
> letting the drive go into sleep mode, or keeping it running
> continually, though there is no disc activity? Which would actually
> be more strenuous on it?
>
> I gather powering up or spinning up a drive is stressful for it?


There is ulikely to be a definite answer. With electronic equipment,
keeping it on 24/7 would be the best option since the equipment is
subject to surges when powering up. With mechanical equipment such as
fans and HDD motors, there will be bearing failure in due course and
that would be advanced by 24/7 operation. Whether SMART takes account
of motor running time, I have not a clue. A good option would be to
leave the computer on but to allow the HDD to go into sleep mode as
need be to save mechanical wear and tear. This has negative
implications for energy conservation, so a compromise would be to turn
off the computer at nights.

This is a problem in large steam turbine power stations like at
Huntly. Starting up imposes enormous stress on the turbine and
contributes to ultimate metal fatigue. Merely hitting the 'start'
button has an effective cost of a few tens of thousands of dollars.
They cause least trouble if left running continuously at full output.
This is not so much of a problem in the hydro stations, so the trick
is to dispatch long periods of running of the steam turbine plant and
to take up short term slack with hydro stations. These were
deliberately designed with twice as much capacity than the average
available water.



Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-28-2007 10:12 PM

Re: How to prolong HDD life?
 
In message <e94qf3p957aurf863ovpc132daqev18lpa@4ax.com>, Nighthawk wrote:

> What I was wondering was, which is better: turning off the computer or
> letting the drive go into sleep mode, or keeping it running
> continually, though there is no disc activity? Which would actually
> be more strenuous on it?


Hard drive death is a fact of life. Make sure you have a backup.

Nighthawk 09-29-2007 05:39 AM

Re: How to prolong HDD life?
 
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:12:25 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>In message <e94qf3p957aurf863ovpc132daqev18lpa@4ax.com>, Nighthawk wrote:
>
>> What I was wondering was, which is better: turning off the computer or
>> letting the drive go into sleep mode, or keeping it running
>> continually, though there is no disc activity? Which would actually
>> be more strenuous on it?

>
>Hard drive death is a fact of life. Make sure you have a backup.


Tell me about it. I've lost two in the six few years. This current
Samsung SP1614N 160GB is the best hard drive I have had for
performance, reliability and quiet and cool running. I have been
making images of C: drive and other data is usually well backed up,
which has got me out of jail on a few occasions. My last drive, a
20.5GB Quantum Fireball was hotter, noisier, and according to SMART,
was down to 79% fitness when I moved it on. It hadn't had the same
usage as the current Samsung one.



Gordon 09-29-2007 05:42 AM

Re: How to prolong HDD life?
 
On 2007-09-28, peterwn <peterwn@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On Sep 29, 3:03 am, Nighthawk <nighth...@allo.com> wrote:
>>

[snip]

>> I gather powering up or spinning up a drive is stressful for it?


[snip]
>
> This is a problem in large steam turbine power stations like at
> Huntly. Starting up imposes enormous stress on the turbine and
> contributes to ultimate metal fatigue. Merely hitting the 'start'
> button has an effective cost of a few tens of thousands of dollars.
> They cause least trouble if left running continuously at full output.
> This is not so much of a problem in the hydro stations, so the trick
> is to dispatch long periods of running of the steam turbine plant and
> to take up short term slack with hydro stations. These were
> deliberately designed with twice as much capacity than the average
> available water.
>
>

Oh dear, we seem to have taken a trip back to the source. ;-

Gordon 09-29-2007 05:49 AM

Re: How to prolong HDD life?
 
On 2007-09-28, Nighthawk <nighthawk@allo.com> wrote:
> After a slight gliche today I decided to check the SMART state of my
> hard drive. My 160GB Samsung SP1614N has been very good and fitness
> and performance always came up at 100% but today I found performance
> down to 98% and fitness down to 97%. I used the online analysis on
> the SMART tab in SpeedFan and it indicated the area of concern was the
> power-on hours. I had been using it 24/7, with P2P. With P2P running
> constantly the drive never went into sleep mode. With the recent
> demise of the fixed IP servers on the eDonkey network I have decided
> to discontinue with P2P.
>
> What I was wondering was, which is better: turning off the computer or
> letting the drive go into sleep mode, or keeping it running
> continually, though there is no disc activity? Which would actually
> be more strenuous on it?
>
> I gather powering up or spinning up a drive is stressful for it?
>

Look starting up and internal combustion engine is stressful for it. All the
oil is cold and at the bottom of the sump. During start up metal to metal
contact happens which never does in a warm enging powering on down the
highway of airway, or water way.

So, do you keep your internal combustion engine rnning all the time?

HDD like ones car engine have become so reliable that we ignore their life
span. Read they have become so cheap.

Save power, and put it towards your next HD.




Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-29-2007 06:43 AM

Re: How to prolong HDD life?
 
In message <nvorf3pm7aipme82jebhbavtdrp8tlofq1@4ax.com>, Nighthawk wrote:

> My last drive, a 20.5GB Quantum Fireball was hotter, noisier, and
> according to SMART, was down to 79% fitness when I moved it on.


You bother with SMART? I just use drives until they either develop bad
sectors or die.

Mark Robinson 09-29-2007 07:05 AM

Re: How to prolong HDD life?
 
Nighthawk wrote:
> After a slight gliche today I decided to check the SMART state of my
> hard drive. My 160GB Samsung SP1614N has been very good and fitness
> and performance always came up at 100% but today I found performance
> down to 98% and fitness down to 97%. I used the online analysis on
> the SMART tab in SpeedFan and it indicated the area of concern was the
> power-on hours. I had been using it 24/7, with P2P. With P2P running
> constantly the drive never went into sleep mode. With the recent
> demise of the fixed IP servers on the eDonkey network I have decided
> to discontinue with P2P.
>
> What I was wondering was, which is better: turning off the computer or
> letting the drive go into sleep mode, or keeping it running
> continually, though there is no disc activity? Which would actually
> be more strenuous on it?
>
> I gather powering up or spinning up a drive is stressful for it?


Power on hours of themselves are not an indication that the drive is in a bad
state. In the absence of other reported errors keep doing whatever you've been
doing.

Nighthawk 09-29-2007 09:31 AM

Re: How to prolong HDD life?
 
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:43:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>In message <nvorf3pm7aipme82jebhbavtdrp8tlofq1@4ax.com>, Nighthawk wrote:
>
>> My last drive, a 20.5GB Quantum Fireball was hotter, noisier, and
>> according to SMART, was down to 79% fitness when I moved it on.

>
>You bother with SMART? I just use drives until they either develop bad
>sectors or die.


Well, after losing a couple, I would rather get advance notice.



Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-29-2007 10:52 AM

Re: How to prolong HDD life?
 
In message <gp6sf3hj31utkoi415ddogmbgnfhb0nm91@4ax.com>, Nighthawk wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:43:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In message <nvorf3pm7aipme82jebhbavtdrp8tlofq1@4ax.com>, Nighthawk wrote:
>>
>>> My last drive, a 20.5GB Quantum Fireball was hotter, noisier, and
>>> according to SMART, was down to 79% fitness when I moved it on.

>>
>>You bother with SMART? I just use drives until they either develop bad
>>sectors or die.

>
> Well, after losing a couple, I would rather get advance notice.


But the SMART readings don't seem to correlate to real life.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.